Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by MarmaladeSkies@Aug 23 2005, 10:22 AM

Another of my faves, I've visited the park many times, the first time I went the park keeper showed me around and was very helpful, he gave up his whole lunch break too!!! I posted up a couple of the pics of the park as it is today on my website: Blow-Up (1966)
    It's a really great site, MarmaladeSkies! I've been a subscriber to Sweet Albion for years!

Liked
    0 times
    Thats what I heard.

I remember seeing a programme about Fashion Photography in the 60's 'The Real Blow Up' where David Bailey claimes that Antonioni got rid of stamp because he was after Vitti.

I don't know if there's anything truth in that because I've never heard rumours of it anywhere else.

Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The whole Monica Vitti / Terence Stamp "liaison" is charted in extremely comical terms in Shawn Levy's book "READY, STEADY, GO!: Swinging London and the Ivention of Cool". Levy suggests that Modesty Blaise's director Joseph Losey was driven to distraction by Vitti's diva antics, so suggested to Stamp that he should "go and **** her to get her out of my hair for 45 minutes". Stamp duly obliged.

Hence my suggestion that Stamp's pitch was well and truly queered as far as getting the BLOW-UP gig was concerned. If I remember correctly, Stamp was actually under contract for the part and successfully sued Antonioni for his appearance fee.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    In Jurgen Muller's book of the 'Movies of the Sixties' Sarah Miles said,

it's putting the cart before the horse to say Antonioni was inspired by the Swinging Sixties: for it's truer to say the Blow-Up invented them.

Freddy

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by sanndevil@Aug 28 2005, 09:12 AM

No, I think that the character was an amalgam of the various celebrity snappers around at the time.
    You are correct about this sanndevil! I was looking for an interview with Hemmings that was online but can't find it now. In it, he explained that it was a mixture.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Aenima@Aug 30 2005, 03:24 PM

Actually,* it's only called "Stroll On" for the film. The original track is called "Train Kept a Rollin' ". The track appears on all Yardbirds releases as "Train kept a rollin'".

www.loughrigg.org - David R Edgar
    Yes, the tune is the same, but the track was redone for the movie, probably for the censors or copyright, but it was called "Stroll On", which is indeed a revised version of "Train...".

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone remember the Harry Enfield sketch about a "swinging 60s guy" driving around in a sports car to various parties sleeping with lots of women and treating them pretty bad. All done in black and white.

Cheers,

A

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by MarmaladeSkies@Aug 23 2005, 10:22 AM

Another of my faves, I've visited the park many times, the first time I went the park keeper showed me around and was very helpful, he gave up his whole lunch break too!!! I posted up a couple of the pics of the park as it is today on my website: Blow-Up (1966)

I love the 1960s British films, I'm a big fan of this era
    Great site Sir, I'm a big fan of 60's music myself(dated a mod bird a few years back) although my taste's may be a little more mainstream. Here are some bands I dig!

The Action

Artwoods

Creation

Primitives

Sorrows

David John & The Mood

Oh and Blow Up is a sublime film, I love Antonioni, L'Avventura in particular.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Billy Liar@Sep 7 2005, 03:42 PM

Great site Sir, I'm a big fan of 60's music myself(dated a mod bird a few years back) although my taste's may be a little more mainstream. Here are some bands I dig!

The Action

Artwoods

Creation

Primitives

Sorrows

David John & The Mood

Creation guitarist Eddy Phillips influenced Townsend and Page - he was quite good though the recordings could be better. He is the one who played the bow with the guitar first.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Originally posted by Gibbie@Sep 10 2005, 02:50 AM

He is the one who played the bow with the guitar first.
    He played the bow with the guitar? That's clever.

I've seen it done the other way around, to play the guitar with a bow.

It's hard to get much music out of a bow

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Steve Crook@Sep 10 2005, 03:52 AM

He played the bow with the guitar? That's clever.

I've seen it done the other way around, to play the guitar with a bow.

It's hard to get much music out of a bow
    Cheek!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Originally posted by Billy Liar@Sep 7 2005, 03:42 PM

The Action

Artwoods

Creation

Primitives

Sorrows

David John & The Mood

Good choice in music sir. Really dig the Creation and I thought the Action were good too although I prefer them when they changed their style and name to Mighty Baby.

By the way, when I get the time I'll be adding some Blow Up still shots to the website.

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by Gibbie@Sep 10 2005, 01:50 AM

Creation guitarist Eddy Phillips influenced Townsend and Page - he was quite good though the recordings could be better. He is the one who played the bow with the guitar first.

Didn't he once play it with a pork pie?

Liked
    0 times
    Originally posted by MarmaladeSkies@Sep 10 2005, 01:00 PM

Good choice in music sir. Really dig the Creation and I thought the Action were good too although I prefer them when they changed their style and name to Mighty Baby.

By the way, when I get the time I'll be adding some Blow Up still shots to the website.
    Yep The Creation are on of the top 60's bands for me, have a couple of rather nice German 45's with superb sleeves. Just picked up The Smokes My Friend Jack another belter, is it true that they were funded by gangsters?

Member Country: UK Ealingfilmfan's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    The Yardbirds Jimmy Page/Jeff Beck sequence, featuring Keith Relf on vocals, (Who tragically died of electrocution in an on stage accident) was actually filmed in a mock up reproduction of the infamous sixties Rikki Tick club..........

Member Country: UK Ealingfilmfan's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    The Yardbirds Jimmy Page/Jeff Beck sequence, featuring Keith Relf on vocals, (Who tragically died of electrocution in an on stage accident) was actually filmed in a mock up reproduction of the infamous sixties Rikki Tick club..........

YouTube - Yardbirds 1966 Blow Up

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Enough of the music already! Blow Up! is brilliant to me for one main reason - Gillian Hills is in it!!

Senior Member Country: UK isbright's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

Was recently on my latest photoshoot of Blowup locations and the owner of 'El Blason' - the restaurant that David Hemmings' character meets Ron (Peter Bowles) at - told me that Joanna Lumley had been in recently with a film crew to make a documentary. Now I may have lost in translation what the owner was saying (he's Spanish) but I'm sure it was to do with the film and not just a restaurant review!

Could anyone put me straight as to how I might find out more? For instance, does anyone have contact details for Joanna's agent perhaps? Or has anyone heard whisperings about this elsewhere?

I'm particularly interested as I've got loads of 'now' photos of the locations with stills of the film to compare them to, and I'm just mad about the film.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by isbright
    Hi all,

Was recently on my latest photoshoot of Blowup locations and the owner of 'El Blason' - the restaurant that David Hemmings' character meets Ron (Peter Bowles) at - told me that Joanna Lumley had been in recently with a film crew to make a documentary. Now I may have lost in translation what the owner was saying (he's Spanish) but I'm sure it was to do with the film and not just a restaurant review!

Could anyone put me straight as to how I might find out more? For instance, does anyone have contact details for Joanna's agent perhaps? Or has anyone heard whisperings about this elsewhere?

I'm particularly interested as I've got loads of 'now' photos of the locations with stills of the film to compare them to, and I'm just mad about the film.

The BBC broadcast a documentary a while ago called 'Fame, Fashion and Photography:The Real Blow Up' which featured a long section about the film and included interviews with most of the people involved.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK isbright's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that Batman.

I was aware of it, but I think it was made in about 2002/3 (certainly before David Hemmings' death at the end of 2003).

My enquiry is more recent - end of 2006 onwards.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast