Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked
    151 times
    Blow-up is bluest film

The hottest moment in movies came when actor David Hemmings hooked up with supermodel Veruschka in cult 1960s film Blow-up, according to a new survey.

The sequence in which Hemmings straddles the Prussian actress for a photo shoot topped the list compiled by Premiere magazine. It said the 1966 movie remains an 'incomparably cool and fresh' piece of erotic film making.

In second place was Tony Curtis romancing Marilyn Monroe on a yacht in the 1959 classic Some Like It Hot.

Curtis said: 'Marilyn liked to lie on me and grind and, as soon as she knew she'd aroused me, she'd look at me as if to say, 'There you are, you naughty boy'.'

Brigitte Bardot's nude appearance in the ground-breaking 1956 movie, And God Created Woman, took third place.

1. Blow-up, 1966 David Hemmings and Veruschka

2. Some Like It Hot, 1959 Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe

3. And God Created Woman, 1956 Brigitte Bardot and Eric Carradine

4. Vixen, 1968 Erica Gavin and Jon Evans

5. Last Tango In Paris, 1973 Marlon Brando and Maria Schneider

6. Body Heat, 1981 William Hurt and Kathleen Turner

7. The Hunger, 1983 Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon

8. Walkabout, 1971 Jenny Agutter and Lucien John

9. Mulholland Drive, 2001 Naomi Watts and Laura Elena Harring

10. Sex And Lucia, 2001 Paz Vega and Tristan Ulloa

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times

Blow-up is bluest film

The hottest moment in movies came when actor David Hemmings hooked up with supermodel Veruschka in cult 1960s film Blow-up, according to a new survey.

The sequence in which Hemmings straddles the Prussian actress for a photo shoot topped the list compiled by Premiere magazine. It said the 1966 movie remains an 'incomparably cool and fresh' piece of erotic film making.
    So I take it they hadn't seen Contraband (1940). That beats many of those listed for erotic content in a manstream film.

Liked
    151 times
    SteveCrook:

So I take it they hadn't seen Contraband (1940). That beats many of those listed for erotic content in a manstream film.
    You would say that. With PNP there would have probably been a prologue; "This is the woman... nice isnt she..." wink

Have a peek at Intimacy (2000); it's very arty. (which is a polite way of saying a bonkathon)

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    DB7:

You would say that. With PNP there would have probably been a prologue; "This is the woman... nice isnt she..." wink
    It was PnP and it starts with the hero (Conrad Veidt) asking her if she'd like to be tied up!

She's very nice, she's Valerie Hobson. wink

Have a peek at Intimacy (2000); it's very arty. (which is a polite way of saying a bonkathon)
    Oh Contraband is a bit more subtle than that. It's a thriller which has lots of erotic, flirtation and UST between the two leads - which looks like it'll be resolved just after the cameras stop rolling

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I love all swinging sixties stuff - but this film has it all!

I remember going to the double feature of Wicker Man and Dont Look Now - they follow closely!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Great film, but I seem to remember that it seemed to end before the plot developed.

Read that the Rolls Royce David Hemmings drove around in was previously owned by Peter Sellers

Liked
    0 times
    Don't forget to keep an eye out for a young Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck with the Yardbirds in the swinging club, playing "Train kept a rollin". I think the track was renamed for the film?

Cheers,

A

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't forget to keep an eye out for a young Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck with the Yardbirds in the swinging club, playing "Train kept a rollin". I think the track was renamed for the film?

Cheers,
    Actually, the song was "Stroll On", which The Yardbirds play live at a Soho/Fitzrovia dive. Same melody, but different lyrics.

We tend to think of "Blow Up" as British, but it was more Italian in British clothes.

Heathcliff
    Actually, the song was "Stroll On", which The Yardbirds play live at a Soho/Fitzrovia dive. Same melody, but different lyrics.

We tend to think of "Blow Up" as British, but it was more Italian in British clothes.
    Is this a British Film? The director was Italian. I guess it counts!!! I LOVE the scene with Verushka. My ex looks and acts JUST like David Hemmings in this, only taller.

Liked
    0 times
    The Rolls Royce had actually belonged to Jimmy Savile of all people!!

I felt the end of the film cleverly summed up what the whole film was about but I'm saying no more, I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it!

Liked
    0 times
    Many of the best British films of the Sixties were made by foreigners - Joseph Losey, Roman Polanski, Stanley Kubrick, Jerzy Skolimowski (Deep End) and so on. I suspect being able to see us through an outsider's eye helped enormously.

Liked
    0 times
    I agree that foreign directors provide a different perspective but I don't think it applies in the case of Joseph Losey.

For me his films are pretentious and astonishingly over-rated.

But there you go!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Another of my faves, I've visited the park many times, the first time I went the park keeper showed me around and was very helpful, he gave up his whole lunch break too!!! I posted up a couple of the pics of the park as it is today on my website: Blow-Up (1966)

I love the 1960s British films, I'm a big fan of this era.

Liked
    0 times
    Great site

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    The David Hemmings character was reputedly based on David Bailey

Freddy

ps. nice to see you back Mr. D.

Liked
    0 times
    Not according to David Hemmings

Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    No, I think that the character was an amalgam of the various celebrity snappers around at the time.

Watching Hollywood UK again the other day, Terrence Stamp was still annoyed about not getting the part himself. He was saying that Antonioni never gave him an explaination why he was dropped in favour of Hemmings. My guess is Antonioni was miffed about Stamp's "liaison" with Antonioni's girlfriend Moinica Vitti on the set of Modesty Blaise.

If someone cops off with your lady, would you give them a job?

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    It was a question in the Independent on the same day as the Blow Up thread and as they used the word 'reputedly' perhaps they were unsure as well.

What I love about Blow Up though are the park scenes where the only thing to be heard are the leaves rustling and the breeze.

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    My favourite Willie Rushton joke.

"I'm going to combine 'Blow Up with 'The Italian Job' to create 'Up Pompeii'."

Liked
    0 times
    Actually, it's only called "Stroll On" for the film. The original track is called "Train Kept a Rollin' ". The track appears on all Yardbirds releases as "Train kept a rollin'".

Train Kept A-Rollin' / Stroll On

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast