Thread: Nurse On Wheels

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    Nurse On Wheels is Carry On spin-of, which may be better than it's more famous counterparts.

NOWs is IMO Juliet Mills' best British film and can hold its own with her later Hollywood efforts. It's a pity America doesn't know of this delightful film. Juliet plays Joanna, who learns to drive, so she was able to take up a position of district nurse in a small village. Joanna becomes romantically involved with wealthy landowner Ronald Lewis, but is at loggerheads with him over squatters on his land.

It's almost a pity it's the second female lead, but it's the great Joan Syms. What I love about Joan is that she could play the plainest Jane you've ever seen in one film, but follow it up with something more glamorous. This was such a film, she looked beautiful and if anything was more glam than the attractive leading lady. Joan's in love with the local Doctor played by Ronald Howard, but doesn't land him until the end of the film.

Athene Seyer was good as the retired nurse, whose approval of Joanna helped the young woman get acceptance in the community. Norman Rossington als impressed. It mat as well have been an important film for Jim Dale, who has a small role as a squatter.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Great comedy. The wonderful Esma Cannon is also in this one, great support from Noel Purcell and Derek Guyler as well.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jch
    Great comedy. The wonderful Esma Cannon is also in this one, great support from Noel Purcell and Derek Guyler as well.
    Esma is also great as the District Nurse in: 'No Kidding! (1960) "COLLICKS" shouts Matron; and the same to you barks Esma!

GRAEME
    Has anyone else got the Optimum Classic version of this on DVD, from the "What a Carry On Collection"?

I'm sure that the reels are out of order - there are whole chunks that don't make sense - like Joan Sims cutting Nurse Hayley dead in the street BEFORE the scene where she learns (mistakenly) that the nurse is getting engaged to the doctor Joans fancies. And the mad car ride stops midway through and then resumes again apparantly days later.

Surely the original release couldn't have been like this - is it just a cock-up on the prep for the DVD?

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I believe Joan Sims was originally cast as the lead in this one, but was going through one of "fat periods" and so Juliet Mills got the role instead.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    When I saw the thread title, I thought you were talking about The District Nurse, the one where Nerys Hughes was constantly pushing her bike up some Welsh mountain, but never reaching the top, a bit like Sisyphus.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    Wasn't this a sequel to 'Twice round the daffodils'? Would love to see Optimum release that one, I e-mailed them but never got a reply.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    GRAEME - we have the 'Optimum Classic' DVD of this excellent film and were also struck by the seemingly out-of-order scenes, just as you list them. To check, we found an old VHS copy we taped from the TV many years ago, and it's all wrong on that too! I think someone has made a labelling error.

Also noticed that the cast list on the back of the case is utterly wrong - it seems to be from Carry On Regardless!

Oh, and despite being shown as '16:9', it is in fact 4:3.

Sometimes I wonder what the 'Optimum' refers to.....

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    It's been many years since I last watched Nurse on Wheels, but I did enjoy watching it and would love to see it again. Not much chance of that though on British television or Sky.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    Has anyone else got the Optimum Classic version of this on DVD, from the "What a Carry On Collection"?

I'm sure that the reels are out of order - there are whole chunks that don't make sense - like Joan Sims cutting Nurse Hayley dead in the street BEFORE the scene where she learns (mistakenly) that the nurse is getting engaged to the doctor Joans fancies. And the mad car ride stops midway through and then resumes again apparantly days later.

Surely the original release couldn't have been like this - is it just a cock-up on the prep for the DVD?
    Yes - They made a complete mess of it. : See here -->DVD release REVIEW

See here also --> NURSE on WHEELS

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post
    Yes - They made a complete mess of it. : See here -->DVD release REVIEW

See here also --> NURSE on WHEELS
    Thanks for that confirmation, Ady. I hope a better version is released soon!