Thread: Sooty

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Bit of a long shot. Don't think there's been a commercial release of much, if any, of Sooty with Harry Corbett. Plenty with Matthew, but who would want that ? Anybody have any of the old stuff ?

thanks

Roy

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='scalehill']Bit of a long shot. Don't think there's been a commercial release of much, if any, of Sooty with Harry Corbett. Plenty with Matthew, but who would want that ? Anybody have any of the old stuff ?

thanks

Roy

I dont think there is a commercial release of Harry only Matthew I have been looking for anything with Harry and Sooty for a long time.

There is a video of Muffin the Mule that has a few mins of Harry with sooty on, its available sometimes on Ebay this is all I have ever found in the last few years.

Harry was a great entertainer and I loved watching his shows

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    I hope you're lucky enough to find some old 'Sooty'. There there are a few old clips on youtube.com - like this one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXhlegZQGOs"]Sooty Meets Muffin The Mule (1955)[/ame]

DS x.

Liked
    0 times
    Before I left the UK, on my last day I was out shopping and I thought what would I like to have to remind me of home. As I was walking past a shop I saw a Sweep glove puppet and had to get it but unfortunately there was no Sooty and they're so hard to find. I also bought a Sooty DVD with Matthew and my two boys just love Sooty and Sweep and I was wondering, if anyone out there has an old discarded Sooty glove puppet they don't want, please think of my boys and send him to a good home. I'll gladly exchange any of my movie collections as a trade. Here's hoping.

Hooked off the line

Liked
    1 times
    I might have some old footage of Sooty with Harry Corbett on 8mm (that's the old standard 8mm film format, which was around in the sixties before super 8). Came in a job lot I bought years ago and I never played it - don't think I've even got a standard 8 projector now!

Liked
    0 times
    8mm eh ? Let me know if you have the time to dig it out. I work in a University, might be able to get a transfer to digital.

With regard to Sooty puppet, I saw the original thta Harry bought on Blackpool Pier was due to go to auction this week, with an estimate of �300. Sounds bloody cheap to me.

I assume all footage must be lost, rather than legalities preventing re-issue, given the level of demand. Either that or Matthew has control after what I understand was a scrappy takeover when Harry fell ill.

Liked
    150 times
    name='scalehill']I assume all footage must be lost, rather than legalities preventing re-issue, given the level of demand. Either that or Matthew has control after what I understand was a scrappy takeover when Harry fell ill.
    AFAIK, Matthew sold off the 'company' a few years back when he, too, became ill with a slow form of leukaemia.

DS x.

Liked
    0 times
    name='scalehill'] With regard to Sooty puppet, I saw the original thta Harry bought on Blackpool Pier was due to go to auction this week, with an estimate of �300. Sounds bloody cheap to me.

300 will probably end up at 3000, I only want a replica for my boys. One that no one will play with or throw in the bin. Please....

Hooked off the line

Liked
    150 times
    There are some on e-Bay - at various prices and different qualities. Sooty Hand Puppets. Most sellers post Worldwide.

If I still had mine, I assure you, you'd be welcome to it. Sadly it was confined to that great TV studio in the sky many years ago!

DS x.

Liked
    1 times
    name='scalehill']8mm eh ? Let me know if you have the time to dig it out. I work in a University, might be able to get a transfer to digital.

I found the film reel, which is a 200 ft silent reel, which would equal about 15 to 20 minutes screen time. There is a certain amount of risk involved, as the reel isn't in a box, but has a hand written plastic tag attached to it sating Sooty and Sweep. As I haven't a standard 8mm projector, I have no way of knowing if it is as advertised, or if Harry Corbett makes an appearence.

PM me if you want me to send you it.

Liked
    0 times
    Of course ! Silent ! I hadn't come in on the fact that it would be silent, how stupid. And how bizarre that this would make any difference to the entertainment value provided by a bit of stuffed cloth ! Which I suppose just goes to show what a performer Harry was, and Matthew wasn't.

I'll make some enquires to see if we have any 8mm playback capacity. Ironically, one of my final-year students made a video earlier this year which she wanted to replicate and show in old 8mm style. She ended up sending it off to a production house in Germany who copied it on an 8mm camera, then captured it back to DVD. Cost a lot of money.

Liked
    0 times
    I have a 16mm colour print of a Sooty film dating from the late 60s I believe which features Harry Corbett. The film is called 'Better Safe Than Sorry' but I'm not sure if it's an episode from the Sooty Show (either the BBC or Thames run although it has no company ident) or a stand-alone road safety film? If it's from the tv series I don't know if it's missing or not if anyone can help. Thanks.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I have about 12 of these transferred from 8mm sound to DVD and about half in colour. I'm happy to trade if anyone is interested.

Liked
    1 times
    While we're on the subject, are companies offering 8mm home movie duplicating services happy to copy material such as this, which presumably has some copyright attached to it? It would be interesting historically to have copies of some of this stuff on a more convenient format.

Liked
    0 times

Liked
    0 times
    name='lordtednfs']300 will probably end up at 3000, I only want a replica for my boys. One that no one will play with or throw in the bin. Please....

Hooked off the line

name='scalehill']Sooty went for �3,000. Blimey.

BBC NEWS | England | Derbyshire | Rare Sooty puppet sold at auction

What did I tell you? Just call me Mystic Ed.

Anyone with a spare Sooty, it would make my boys Xmas complete and make Sweep a very happy dog.

Hooked off the line

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Going off at a slight tangent here. What became of the feature film of Sooty? I remember about 15 years ago reading an article that a big screen version was in the pipeline.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='EHV_Emmetts']Going off at a slight tangent here. What became of the feature film of Sooty? I remember about 15 years ago reading an article that a big screen version was in the pipeline.

It went up in smoke. (sorry)