Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    A forgotten gem starring Maggie Smith. I think it's one of the great love stories, not to mention my favourite Maggie film. It hasn't been seen on our tv screens as far as I can tell for over 30-yrs and dosen't appear to be available on dvd.

Spioler Alert

Maggie plays a middle aged terminally ill spinster, who on a singles holiday tour encounters lonley teenager Timothy Button's. He instantly falls in love with her, but she's inintially offended by his advances. However, she to falls in love with him eventually.

Two highlights for me are watching the plainly dressed Maggie suddenly become attractive, wear trousers and shorter skirts, after she entered into a relationship with the younger man. There's a scene in a caravan that is very funny and tragic at the same time when Maggie has some sort of fit with her brain unable to control her body. In frustration, unable to help her, Timothy slams the table at which he's sitting so hard, he topples the caravan on to its side and sends Maggie flying into his arms. The scene ends with them having a fit of the giggles.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart.scot
    A forgotten gem starring Maggie Smith. I think it's one of the great love stories, not to mention my favourite Maggie film. It hasn't been seen on our tv screens as far as I can tell for over 30-yrs and dosen't appear to be available on dvd. Maggie plays a middle aged terminally ill spinster, who on a singles holiday tour encounters lonley teenager Timothy Button's. .
    I saw this film when it was first released in the seventies and, like you, loved it. So much so I acquired some stills from the movie which I treasured. As far as I know, it was never released on VHS or DVD and so when the NFT showed it a few years ago, as part of a Maggie Smith season, I raced along with a friend. "You'll love it!" I confidently promised her. WELL... how wrong I was. It was turgidly slow and we were actually bored, despite a few good slapstick moments from Dame Mags. To be personal for a moment, it was the first movie where I noticed she'd had an eye job!