Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Film Man
    Assistant art director was Ferdinand Bellan...a great artist who worked on many of Korda's movies...he got a credit on The Third Man even though he never wanted credit for anything he did.

I have over my fireplace one of his huge colour drawings from Nicholas & Alexandra (given to me by his Son)...one of the last films Ferdinand worked on. Thought I should mention a talented man, who seems to have been forgotten.

Film Man.
    Interesting post. I'm glad you mentioned Mr. Bellan. Nicholas and Alexandra had a great impact on me as a boy and I am always interested in anything having to do with it. The art direction on this film was superb. What is the drawing of?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Tim, I am one of those extra people in the world who have a copy of the 'Nicholas and Alexandra' brochure; indeed the title is one of the bigger scrapbooks of films 1964-84 I created during those years.

Would I be stealing your thunder, however, by posting scans of some of the items in due course? It would take a week or so to post things up: my movie collection is under lock and key at a college and can't be accessed public holidays or weekends both of which we are in here in the UK at the moment, and a faulty scanner will probably mean camera-photographing things in.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    Nice to get your thread Tim R...The picture is of the great ballroom complete with pillars,statues, soldiers, chandelier and floor. Send me your e-mail Tim and I will send a photo.

I have two other drawings by Ferginand (from other films)...my pride and joy. Ferdinand's hands can be seen painting 'the' ceiling in 'The Agony & The Ecstasy'...Charlton Heston just couldn't hold the brush properly.

Film Man.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C
    Tim, I am one of those extra people in the world who have a copy of the 'Nicholas and Alexandra' brochure; indeed the title is one of the bigger scrapbooks of films 1964-84 I created during those years.

Would I be stealing your thunder, however, by posting scans of some of the items in due course? It would take a week or so to post things up: my movie collection is under lock and key at a college and can't be accessed public holidays or weekends both of which we are in here in the UK at the moment, and a faulty scanner will probably mean camera-photographing things in.
    That brochure is a gem. You would not be stealing my thunder at all - I would be delighted to see scans posted here. I recall seeing several of your scanned reviews and advertisements and always enjoy them. They bring back good memories of the films of the 1960s and early 70s and the excitement of seeing another historical film for the first time.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Film Man
    Nice to get your thread Tim R...The picture is of the great ballroom complete with pillars,statues, soldiers, chandelier and floor. Send me your e-mail Tim and I will send a photo.
    Thank you. I know that setting well: it is beautifully realized in the film.

I have two other drawings by Ferginand (from other films)...my pride and joy. Ferdinand's hands can be seen painting 'the' ceiling in 'The Agony & The Ecstasy'...Charlton Heston just couldn't hold the brush properly.

Film Man.
    What a privilege.

The Agony and the Ecstasy was another film notable for its magnificent art direction.

I looked up his list of credits and found The Third Man (assistant art director), The Thief of Baghdad (associate art director), Anne of the Thousand Days and Becket (scenic artist in both cases) and many others. And as you say, he is listed as 'uncredited' for many of them. The art direction is superb in each of these films.

He also worked on Cleopatra, which was not a good film - but it is worth seeing for the production.

Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR
    That brochure is a gem. You would not be stealing my thunder at all - I would be delighted to see scans posted here. I recall seeing several of your scanned reviews and advertisements and always enjoy them. They bring back good memories of the films of the 1960s and early 70s and the excitement of seeing another historical film for the first time.
    Yes Tim! I remember we had a thread on this site last year some time called "RoadShow Presentations"? What became of the discussions I don't know (just presumed everyone went off the idea) but I still have zillions of items to post sometime. I too have the brochures for "Fiddler on the Roof" and the others you mentioned-many more too! Here in the UK we had full broad-sheet newspaper adverts (that's 20" x 30"!) in the 1960's and early 1970's for such delights as 'Mayerling' and 'Funny Girl' so if yourself and other members would like to view them, that's fine. Let me know what category of film (history/war/science fiction etc) you have in mind. Just need 48hrs a day thats all

I'll endeavour to exhume the 'Roadshow' thread soon then;in the meantime I will track down the 'Nicholas and Alexandra' items but it may take a week to knock them out on here.

Rick

Liked
    29 times
    Yes Tim! I remember we had a thread on this site last year some time called "RoadShow Presentations"? What became of the discussions I don't know but I still have zillions of items to post sometime. I too have the brochures for "Fiddler on the Roof" and the others you mentioned-many more too! Here in the UK we had full-broad sheet newspaper adverts in the 1960's and early 1970's for such delights as 'Mayerling' and 'Funny Girl' so if yourself and other members would like to view them, that's fine. Just need 48hrs a day thats all
    Yes - the Roadshow thread from last year.

You mention Mayerling - I enjoyed that one very much (and there weren;t many of us) even though there were aspects to the story that didn't work.

The production was a very well made historical spectacle and the setting in Austria-Hungary was an unusual one

I'll endeavour to exhume the 'Roadshow' thread soon then;in the meantime I will track down the 'Nicholas and Alexandra' items but it may take a week to knock them out on here.

Rick
    I look forward to it.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It's hard to believe that clunky screenplay was by the same writer of the brilliant Lion in Winter.

Liked
    29 times
    I am surprised that Janet Suzman did not go in to many other leading roles in films. She gives an impressive performance as Alexandra, yet I have not seen her in anything else except a featured role in Hildegard of Bingen with Patricia Routledge.

Liked
    23 times
    My first contribution of items i have, to include at later stages some smaller 'cameo' phots and adverts

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I also have the souvenir brochure and that 1971 Photoplay magazine with the colour stills, as well as the quad poster, the DVD and the British Front-of-House set of eight colour stills, that amazingly, contains no stills of the royal children (Alexei and his sisters). The American Lobby Card set does have a posed photo of the royal family together, based on a real group photo of them and that should have been in the British set, but it wasn't.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I forgot to add that I also have the original soundtrack score LP on the Bell record label and the RCA 45 rpm single by Henry Mancini that was released of the theme (this was not of the main opening credits or end cast music, but one of the other peices from the score).

Liked
    29 times
    My first contribution of items i have, to include at later stages some smaller 'cameo' phots and adverts
    Thanks Rick. That's the brochure I have. The design of the text inside is slightly different - perhaps there were some changes for the US market.

There is an interesting and detailed account of the film's premiere in both London and New York in the book Journey, by Robert K and Suzanne Massie.

The focus was very much on charities for hemophilia, as Massie had written the book as a result of the family struggle with hemophilia through their son Bobby. I will include a couple of paragraphs.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan
    I forgot to add that I also have the original soundtrack score LP on the Bell record label and the RCA 45 rpm single by Henry Mancini that was released of the theme (this was not of the main opening credits or end cast music, but one of the other peices from the score).
    That score is one of the most difficult to obtain of any that I know. I cannot understand why it has never been released on CD.

Liked
    29 times
    Two weeks ago we viewed an exhibition on Faberge at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Mass., located very close to where I live. They had four of the Faberge eggs and rooms filled with dozens of Faberge creations as well as the history of the craftsmen and their workshop. Moving and fascinating.

This was a significant achievement for our museum. It is a rather small museum, and the event was beautifully done and was very well attended. This sort of major event is usually associated with Boston or New York.

It reminded me again of this film - I still watch it again about once a year.

The book Journey, by Robert K Massie and Suzanne Massie who were married at the time, is very well worth reading. They describe in detail the writing of Nicholas and Alexandra, its basis in their own son's hemophilia and the connection with the Tsarevitch Alexis, and the production and premieres of the film in 1971 and 1972. As a side note, their son Robert Jr. is alive and well and an author and politician here in Mass.

I will add some quotes that may be of interest to those who enjoy the film as much as I do.

Liked
    29 times
    Nicholas and Alexandra had its Royal World Premiere in London on November 29th, 1971, at the Odeon Leicester Square. The New York premiere was two weeks later.

Here is Suzanne Massie's own response to the London premiere in the book Journey. The book had taken several years to write and had come after years of struggle and difficult with their son's hemophilia.

She refers to Janet Suzman, Michael Jayston and Tom Baker. Irvington is a suburb of NYC on the Hudson where they lived.

As we climbed to our seats high in the balcony, far below on the stage the Queen's Trumpeters, all scarlet and gold, were already in the stage playing Heraldic flourishes.

Then the large figures were moving on the screen - Janet, Michael and Tom - but somehow now terrifyingly transformed. their faces were enormous. It moved me, it upset me. I remembered those dark night in Irvington, lying in bed thinking, exhausted with worry but unable to sleep.

To have these ghosts, these ideas, come to life on such a scale awed and frightened me. For some moments I had no sense of what was real and what was not. This emotion as so strong that I could not absorb the film.

Not until Nagorny, the faithful sailor, was taken out to be short and I saw the tears of Alexis, did I begin to weep, and then I sobbed to the end of the film. At the end, when the lights went up people we know turned around to see what our reaction was. Shy and embarrasses, I turned away my tear-stained face.

Liked
    29 times
    Robert K Massie notes that Janet Suzman, Michael Jayston, Jack Hawkins and Tom Baker attended the London premiere. But the four girls who played the Princesses were invited only to the dance following the dinner, while Roderic Noble was not asked at all.

He said that the film was disappointing for him in that it lacked depth and had little feeling for Russia. However, he praised the "splendid English cast" and the production.

Everything is relative: thus we were happy it was as good as it was but disappointed it wasn't better.

Above all one important thing happened: the story of a hemophiliac was up there on the screen, the subject of a major film. Millions of people saw it, and hopefully, took away from the theater more understanding of the disease and perhaps a bit more sympathy for its victims. In a remarkable way. the vicious disease that had attacked Bobby, and ravaged our lives had also provided the weapons to fight back.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Fiona Fullerton who played Princess Anastasia has been appearing on Strictly come dancing recently...........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-part-two.html

Member Country: India
    Liked
    0 times
    :) thanks for sharing the video , couldnt hear anything but surely reminds of that era, In India the movies started to bvegin from the year 1930s
    Its hard to believe that brits had alrewady done that around 50 years ago we even started that

Liked
    29 times
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frmo7ROKaVY

A suite of music from the soundtrack of Richard Rodney Bennett's score for Nicholas and Alexandra - surely one of the very best scores for a British film. Sadly it is not on CD.

Bennett is also the conductor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12