Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I know about collections of R W Paul,Melies ,Mitchell and Kenyon,Silent Shakespeare.South,Open Road,Hindle Wakes,Piccadilly,Drifters and Cottage on Dartmoor. The extant Hitchcocks.

Anything else?

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    name='philly']I know about collections of R W Paul,Melies ,Mitchell and Kenyon,Silent Shakespeare.South,Open Road,Hindle Wakes,Piccadilly,Drifters and Cottage on Dartmoor. The extant Hitchcocks.

Anything else?

I know some of these. It is difficult to find British silent films. What is Hindle Wakes?

Senior Member Country: England Pam1927's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='TimR']... What is Hindle Wakes?

'Hindle Wakes' is a play by Stanley Houghton and has been filmed a number of times; 1918 and 1927(silent) and 1931 and 1952. It's about a strong-willed young factory girl called Fanny Hawthorn and is set at the time of the annual holiday for factory workers in Lancashire called Wakes Week. I've not seen the 1918 version (I'm not sure if that still exists), but I've seen the 1927 version, which is superb. It stars the American actress Estelle Brody in the lead role of Fanny Hawthorn, and she's wonderful. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the film is still only available on a region 1 DVD release, though it was shown on BBC 4 a years or so ago. It's a great film, and well worth seeing!

Pam

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='TimR']I know some of these. It is difficult to find British silent films. What is Hindle Wakes?

It's when a mythical monster, the Hindle, wakes up

No, really it's about some people on holiday from the town of Hindle in Lancashire. Back in the old days, when most people worked in factories, everyone would have a holiday at the same time when the factory shut down for its annual refurbishment. These are known as the "Wakes Week" for that town or area.

The film is based on the stage play of the same name by Stanley Houghton, written in 1910. There have been 2 silent films and various sound films made of the play and a few TV adaptions.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    The 1916 film of The Battle of the Somme - one of the most commercially successful British silent films (for obvious reasons hopefully) is out in a couple of weeks time. It looks a fascinating package.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    I can recommend the Dickens Before Sound package from the BFI, a more lavish follow up to Silent Shakespeare; not entirely British silents, about fifty-fifty, and includes a fabulous magic lantern version of Gabriel Grubb. My favourite film there is the Vitagraph John Bunny version of Pickwick; a US film, but filmed on location here....perfect little film.

Liked
    0 times
    Penfold... do you know if any prints of the 1918 version of 'Hindle Wakes' still exist?

Pam (a.k.a Damfino's sister!)

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='Pam1927']Penfold... do you know if any prints of the 1918 version of 'Hindle Wakes' still exist?

Pam (a.k.a Damfino's sister!)

Not as far as I'm aware....and with the interest in the later version I would have thought it would have been shown if it was available to the archive, particularly at the British Silent Film Festival which has done some work on the scriptwriter, Eliot Stannard.

Having said that, long-thought-lost films are still emerging from the woodwork; I've just seen the restored Bardelys the Magnificent - John Gilbert in a tongue-in-cheek Fairbanks-style swashbuckler - that, apart from a sequence reused in Mariin Davies' Show People, has not been seen for eighty years, and had been given up for dead. Great it is too....and for British film fans, from the continuing project on The Corrick Collection - the repertoire of an Edwardian Australian travelling film show, kept by the projectionist's descendants in Tasmania and then donated to the Australian Film Archive - have so far come up with half-a-dozen lost British films from 1900-1910 - and in remarkable condition. Actualities, short dramas - and eleven minutes of a 40 minute travelogue of London filmed in 1904 by Charles Urban, Living London. Not your normal travelogue either, the fragment starts with a shot of a bag lady asleep on a park bench. A 1920's Hepworth feature has turned up in Quebec too, though it needs preservation work before it can be seen. And a case in point are the films of Alexander Shiryaev - it's not that they were thought lost, but no-one knew they had been made in the first place.....so all hope is not lost for some of these lost films.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that, penfold. It's a pity about the 1918 'Hindle Wakes'. I've got the other cinema versions - it would have been nice to see that one too.

It's always so good to hear of 'lost' films being found - before they've crumbled to dust, that is! Like you, I always live in hope that gems from the past from both TV and cinema will come to light. I love the story about the Edwardian Australian travelling film show find!

Pam

Liked
    29 times
    name='Pam1927']'Hindle Wakes' is a play by Stanley Houghton and has been filmed a number of times; 1918 and 1927(silent) and 1931 and 1952. It's about a strong-willed young factory girl called Fanny Hawthorn and is set at the time of the annual holiday for factory workers in Lancashire called Wakes Week. I've not seen the 1918 version (I'm not sure if that still exists), but I've seen the 1927 version, which is superb. It stars the American actress Estelle Brody in the lead role of Fanny Hawthorn, and she's wonderful. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the film is still only available on a region 1 DVD release, though it was shown on BBC 4 a years or so ago. It's a great film, and well worth seeing!

Pam

Thanks Pam for the information. I have not found that many British silent films and I am looking for more. I will look for this one.

Liked
    29 times
    name='Steve Crook']It's when a mythical monster, the Hindle, wakes up

Now that sounds like a film to see.

No, really it's about some people on holiday from the town of Hindle in Lancashire. Back in the old days, when most people worked in factories, everyone would have a holiday at the same time when the factory shut down for its annual refurbishment. These are known as the "Wakes Week" for that town or area.

The film is based on the stage play of the same name by Stanley Houghton, written in 1910. There have been 2 silent films and various sound films made of the play and a few TV adaptions.

Steve

Thanks for the info on Wakes Week - I certainly would not have known that.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Any good collections of silent Brit film?