Thread: Sixty-Six

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    The tv trailer for the new Helena Bonham Carter film,Sixty Six,about a boy whose barmitzvah clashes with the 1966 World Cup Final,has the music Build Me Up Buttercup by the Foundations in the background. It wasn't released until two years later. The more appropiate music would have been Out of Time by Chris Farlowe which was at number 1 in the UK singles chart when England lifted the Jules Rimet Cup. In fact,Chris Farlowe never had a number 1 hit again,and er.....the England football squad has never had to buy Duraglit again .

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I watched scenes for this being filmed in Lissen Grove last year. If we want to include mistakes, the Routemaster used in the film had yellow dayglow blinds.. thats a 1990's feature. I told a props man all the errors and his reply was 'thanks you have NOT made my day'.

Liked
    0 times
    No-one likes a smart arse, eh?!

Only kidding!

Seriously, though, you'd think they'd put a bit more effort into researching a film like that. Of course, it's never going to be 100% authentic, but amazing the glaring errors you see in movies, dating from way back when.

And as for the Routemaster. A 90s feature in a supposed 60s set movie is rather feeble.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not one of those Scots, who bemoanes England winning the 1966 world cup, in fact I like to see all the home Nations doing well in competitions. So I really enjoyed this film, about a Jewish boy's Bar Mitzvah that falls in the same day the 1966 World Cup Final.

One of the things a like about Sixty-Six is the stunningly beautiful Helena Bonham Carter, as the boy's mother, playing oppisite the non conventially handsome Eddie Marsden, who as the boy's father, is the star of the film.

I loved the end of the film when Helena, in her best frock, plays football in her back garden with her husband and boys. Dare I say I thought she looked rather sexy............... kicking a ball around.

On a serious note my favourite scene is when after their house is destroyed in a fire, Helena out of frustration slaps Eddie, who in despair tells her to go of with his brother, whom she has a close platonic relationship. After the slap she calls him 'A B----- Idiot, before giving him a loving cuddle after he breaks down in tears.

Also in the film is Catherine Tate as the boy's auntie. It wasn't the most demanding role for the actress, who I think has all the potential of a young Julie Walters.

The film is also worth watching for the footage of England working their way through the group stages, the the latter stages to the final, beating West Germany 4-2.

The Film closes in style with the underrated Helen Shaperio belting out Walking Back To Happiness

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    I really enjoyed this film. Love the line: when you've got no foreskin, you need a lot of balls.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I loved this, too. Helena Bonham Carter is such an under-rated actress, I think. She's moved me to tears as well - in Hamlet and Wings of the Dove.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    1 times
    I thought a young Helena made an excellent Lady Jane Grey

Senior Member Country: UK Dadwasinflame's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    To get in the sprit of the World cup i see ITV1 are showing a film called sisty six, or should that be 66, which i have to say is not a bad film , ita about a Jewish wedding taking place on the same day as the World cup Final

enjoyable movie with many references to the 6os as well thrown in

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I happened to be working in Lissen Grove in 2005 when this was being filmed, amazing to walk down a street dressed for the period to go to the cafe! However I was in the queue behind a props man so as I was telling a mate of mine just how bad the errors were on the Routemaster bus that they were using I got the response of "thanks a bloody lot! you have just ruined my day!" well I found it entertaining!