Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Number 6 wouldn't be After Hours would it? 14 is Sole Survivor.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Definitely not AFTER HOURS- I've got that on VHS. SOLE SURVIVOR is a possible in terms of theme, but I would say not as the film I am trying to identify was a black and white film shown on a Sunday afternoon.

Liked
    0 times
    No 9 sounds like an Edgar Wallace mystery I saw recently, although don't recall the name of.

Liked
    0 times
    Have you tried writing stuff down so as not to forget?

Liked
    151 times
    name='Jack Gurney']

9) A black and white crime film, not HELL IS A CITY, which ends with a rooftop fight. Not FORBIDDEN (1948) either, although I am after a copy of that. Possibly a SCOTLAND YARD or EDGAR WALLACE episode.
    They Made Me a Fugitive or The Frightened Man?

Liked
    0 times
    Could 23) be DARLING?

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Number 6 could be a TV movie called Final Jeapardy starring Richard Thomas and Mary Crosby made in 1985.It used to turn up regularly on UK tv but hasn't been on for some time now.Plot fits to a t.

Number 14 Could be Twilight Zone episode "King 9 Will Not Return" starring Robert Cummings(episode 37 on the DVD box set)from around 1960.

The same basic plot appeared in Bombers Moon with Cliff Robertson and Martin Balsam from around the same time.The plot appeared again in colour as Sole Survivor where I'm sure William Shatner played one of the crew.This must have been in the 70's.

All 3 appear to be based on the finding of a B24 liberator bomber "Lady B Good" in the Sahara which had mistaken the desert for the Mediterranean and "ditched",although I'm sure that the aircraft used in the tv productions were all B25 Mitchells.

Hope this helps.

"Evening all"

Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the in formation regarding FINAL JEOPARDY. I knew it was a TV movie anyway, so I think you're probably right on that one.

The TWILIGHT ZONE answer to No.14 may well be correct if it was in black and white, although I'm still sure that whatever we saw was an actual war film, shown in the afternoon- so that wouldn't have been it. It definitely isn't SOLE SURVIVOR, as I saw that again recently and we find out that the airmen are ghosts pretty much right at the start of the film. Nor is it the Australian movie THE SURVIVOR directed by David Hemmings, although the ending, when people look inside a cockpit and see the dead, is similar. Oh, and if this helps, I think it was up a mountain.

DARLING, THEY MADE ME A FUGITIVE and THE CLOUDED YELLOW are all possibles- but I now have a feeling that the 'rooftop climax' thriller is actually an episode of SCOTLAND YARD or THE MYSTERIES OF EDGAR WALLACE. Something is telling me that.

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    The Twilight Zone "King 9 will not return" is from the original black and white series(series 2 I think).It has been shown on satellite and cable a couple of times in daytime slots fairly recently.Unlike "Sole Survivor" the crew don't realise that they are ghosts until the end of the episode.

Maybe "Bombers Moon " may have been shown as a filler when the sport was snowed off on Grandstand.I must have seen this years ago ,as when I watched the opening sequence of "King 9" on dvd I thought Cliff Robertson was going to be the star.

Good luck with the rest of your questions.

Liked
    0 times
    Could 23 be Groupie Girl?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Captain Oates's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    1)

I haven't seen it but this might be The Comeback with Eric Burdon playing a faded singer, hence the confusion with the Jack Jones film of the same name.

Liked
    4 times
    Wow, he said (reviving an ancient thread), maybe BOMBERS MOON does solve the mystery after all, especially if it's black and white. There was another thread on this site only yesterday about 'the great Sole Survivor conspiracy'- apparently several people on the web other than myself have had the same garbled half-memory of a film that is similar to, but not, the 1970 Shatner and Baseheart classic. It's amazing how these things spread...

I will look up the other Burdon Comeback, can't imagine why it's taken me 6 years to getting round to doing this. Then again, I'm an INCREDIBLY busy geezer...

Oh, and no 4 appears to be a German film from 1976 called DIE BRUDER (The Brothers) which I only discovered because I googled the great writer Septimus Dale, author of the renowned Pan horror classic 'The Little Girl Eater' and saw that the plot to that had been referenced in the film. This would fit with the bloke drowning by a seawall. Also, there is a character in the cast list for that called 'Roman' which sounds about right, not Peppino, and two actors play him, one as a child, the next as a young man- plus, a middle aged actor plays a character called Frank (again, not Brian) which about fits the stepdad description. The onyl trouble is, the 'Oracle', ie Marc Morris, says that apparently that was never shown on British TV- but I bet these listings aren't comprehensive. It's also listed on IMDB as a romance, but then again, so was THE SAILOR WHO FELL FROM GRACE WITH THE SEA (similar plot), which is more or less a horror film, so it's an easy mistaika to maika, as Gavin Richards would say.

Now to FIND some copies of the above....
    Last edited by Jack Gurney; 17-05-12 at 09:58 PM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    9) might be Two Wives at One Wedding, a Danziger epic from 1961 with Gordon Jackson (or Fred Haggerty) having a tussle with Andre Maranne.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    "Sadly, that's all I saw as my Dad decided that it was 'a load of old crap' (unusual for him, he likes arty films) and switched over to watch the football."

That's the funniest line I've read in a long while
    God bless
    Last edited by rskershaw; 19-05-12 at 01:49 AM.

Liked
    4 times
    There's another one I just remembered... a comedy, Americam, black and white, about a family who advertise for a nanny and childminder, and someone called 'Lynn' answers with the best references, but the family soon find out it's a bloke, a middle-aged man (maybe played by one of the Barrymores?) Needless to say after an initially awakward period they all get used to him and much hilarity ensues. Others I couldn't remember the name of ages ago but have now been named satisfactorily are YOU NEVER CAN TELL, THERE'S ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE and THE FALLEN IDOL, but there's still at least one more troubling me at the moment, something to do with a femme fatale, two men, a murder in a small American town, a car that speeds off a dirt road into some bushes (showing the screen going all upside-downy) and a defence in court of amnesia. Shown on C4 or BBC2 late one Friday around 1988-90...Black and white, made no later than the mid 1960s.

TWO WIVES AT ONE WEDDING sounds promising.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The comedy is Sitting Pretty starring Clifton Webb as Mr. Belvedere, which spawned two sequels. It made Webb a star. Laura earlier established him as a popular character actor, mostly playing villains.

Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    The comedy is Sitting Pretty starring Clifton Webb as Mr. Belvedere, which spawned two sequels. It made Webb a star. Laura earlier established him as a popular character actor, mostly playing villains.
    So it was!! Blody hell, it all comes back to me now. Didn't know about the sequels though. And thanks, that was the quickest I've EVER had an answer on ANY forum...

Couple more: a two parter based on (I think) the Bundy murders or something of that kind, with Peter Coyote, Robert Loggia and Stockard Channing. God, they're all Yank films today aren't they?

TWO WIVES AT ONE WEDDING, however, sounds promising. And British. I shall check...

Liked
    4 times
    Just remembered another Brit one actually, about a girl working for some huge computer firm/glass office block/ factory type company, whereby somehow or other the whole computerised system gets locked down and no-one can get in, and she gets the blame, even though she's done nothing wrong. It was British and made in the 90s, I think, and featured a popular Jewish character actor as one of her adversaries in the firm- though it wasn't Linal Haft, because I met him last week on a train between Catford and Charing Cross and asked him about it...

There's a similar scapegoaty theme in an American film I saw a few years earlier, about a bloke who moves to a small hick Yank town based mainly around either a sewerage or nuclear plant, and tries his best to help everybody, doing really good things for them- but then when things go wrong, and there's some kind of leak, they all blame him. A bit like an 80s colour version of BLACK FURY, maybe, but more light hearted.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gurney View Post
    There's another one I just remembered... a comedy, Americam, black and white, about a family who advertise for a nanny and childminder, and someone called 'Lynn' answers with the best references, but the family soon find out it's a bloke, a middle-aged man (maybe played by one of the Barrymores?) Needless to say after an initially awakward period they all get used to him and much hilarity ensues. Others I couldn't remember the name of ages ago but have now been named satisfactorily are YOU NEVER CAN TELL, THERE'S ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE and THE FALLEN IDOL, but there's still at least one more troubling me at the moment, something to do with a femme fatale, two men, a murder in a small American town, a car that speeds off a dirt road into some bushes (showing the screen going all upside-downy) and a defence in court of amnesia. Shown on C4 or BBC2 late one Friday around 1988-90...Black and white, made no later than the mid 1960s.

TWO WIVES AT ONE WEDDING sounds promising.
    The second one if American might be Impact (1949). It is in the PD so there are many places on the internet to look at it.

http://www.noiroftheweek.com/2006/09/impact-1949.html
    Last edited by will.15; 21-05-12 at 01:33 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gurney View Post
    So it was!! Blody hell, it all comes back to me now. Didn't know about the sequels though. And thanks, that was the quickest I've EVER had an answer on ANY forum...

Couple more: a two parter based on (I think) the Bundy murders or something of that kind, with Peter Coyote, Robert Loggia and Stockard Channing. God, they're all Yank films today aren't they?

TWO WIVES AT ONE WEDDING, however, sounds promising. And British. I shall check...
    The two part TV movie about Bundy was called The Deliberate Stranger starring Mark Harmon. None of the other actors were in it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast