Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England Pam1927's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Is it that Anthony Worrel Thompson guy? Had a triple bypass, didn't he? I believe he once talked about 'those poor vegetarians'. I can't remember if that was before or after the heart op. Whatever... This 'poor vegetarian' is just glad that she doesn't eat what Mr Thompson does!

Pam

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Pam - where did you get that smilie from?

I have mixed feelings about Anthony Worral Thompson that are so extensive I am starting to worry about my level of interest in TV cookery programmes

I don't really like discussing celebs private lives - but this is drawn from his own home reality series.

The cleaning thing: He is wrong on this one in my opinion - whats needed is a balance. My mother and grandmother were both nurses and can vouch that the children brought in most often were from families that were 'less careful'...You do need a certain amount of exposure - but the idea that you should expose children to this deliberately is not a good idea. They find dirt like magnets anyway.

His wife: I think she should be freed or at least given some kind of parole. (Feel free to edit if we're not allowed to say that.) (See the reality programme 'Worrall Thompson and take particular note of his draconian methods of getting the children to eat their greens, telling his wife that if she thinks 'she can start just because there are other people around and the cameras on then shes got another thought coming...')

That kind of put me off, but..

On the other hand he is an interesting, varied person with some depth and his stories about his own life experiences are intriguing.

His cooking: He seems to seriously know his stuff - but gets it across in a very down to earth manner and clearly loves food and the whole process of cooking - so a proper TV chef, I suppose.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I am wondering if these days outside lavs would pass health and safety standards, even if they were descent . What about our little gerub`s bots getting cold????????

A couple of years ago I stopped at a pub/B&B at the lake district which still has an old outside loo. Ahhhhh the nostalga! This one had lovely net curtains up at the door too .

Harrrrrrold!

xx

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Chevyman']Nah...............proper chef

It can't be Gordon Ramsey then

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='Steve Crook']It can't be Gordon Ramsey then

Steve

Too busy with his empire

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']

LOL!!! Eating that sort of stuff doesn't make for shag-piled arteries!!!

Less of this

and more of that (says she at 53 with a cholesterol level of 4.3 - so eat ya heart out A.W.T!!!)

Pam

PS: The cholesterol is 4.1 actually, but I didn't want to sound too smug!

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='marker']I was born in 1942, the 40s 50s and sixty's were wonderful years got to the mid seventy's and things started going downhill fast
    1940 I arrived on the scene. No, not downhill, after all when we were born half the world was trying to kill the other half sometimes using quite novel ways, 'A' bombs, gas chambers, my dad survived Dunquerque but was never quite the same. No I think we just got older.

(I am surprised that internet posting is still doing the rounds.)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    A truly great post indeed

If other people did what I did - immediately send it on to other grumpy old people - I suspect it's been round the world several times by now . . .

Liked
    255 times
    name='Pam1927']LOL!!! Eating that sort of stuff doesn't make for shag-piled arteries!!!

Less of this

and more of that (says she at 53 with a cholesterol level of 4.3 - so eat ya heart out A.W.T!!!)

Pam

PS: The cholesterol is 4.1 actually, but I didn't want to sound too smug!

Thus ends today's broadcast of behalf of the food fascists!

I am a meat eater and my Cholesterol level is also 4.1 ...... meat is part of a human being's natural diet. A balanced diet including red and white meat, fish, fruit and vegetables is perfectly healthy. A purely vegetarian diet is no more healthy than such a balanced diet. I know several vegetarians who suffer with high cholesterol and diabetes. Trust me, I'm a nurse.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']Thus ends today's broadcast of behalf of the food fascists!

I am a meat eater and my Cholesterol level is also 4.1 ...... meat is part of a human being's natural diet. A balanced diet including red and white meat, fish, fruit and vegetables is perfectly healthy. A purely vegetarian diet is no more healthy than such a balanced diet. I know several vegetarians who suffer with high cholesterol and diabetes. Trust me, I'm a nurse.

I may not agree with what you say, but I defend your right to say it!

Strange that when meat eaters take a pop at vegetarians, such as in the patronising and somewhat insulting way that AWT did, that's rarely cause for comment. But when a veggie takes a pop in return, however light-heartedly, comments tend to flow freely, usually of a similar patronising and insulting nature!

I did actually say less of one (meat and meat products) and more of the other (fruit and veg). I think even the medical world advocates that these days. Or are they food fascists too?

A balanced diet is great in theory, but, judging by the enormous number of enormous arses I see wobbling around the supermarket these days, few people actually follow one!

I'll continue to trust my lifestyle of 30 years' standing, as I'm one of the healthiest people I know. If there were more people like me, a lot of nurses would be out of a job!

Pam

Liked
    255 times
    I find it equally strange that when some vegetarians are smug, patronising and insulting towards meat eaters they consider that as being acceptable. But when a meat eater responds in kind they don't like it. It's a shame that a healthy, balanced vegetarian diet quite often doesn't extend to a healthy, balanced exchange of views.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']I find it equally strange that when some vegetarians are smug, patronising and insulting towards meat eaters they consider themselves as being light-hearted. But when a meat eater responds in kind they don't like it. Obviously a healthy balanced vegetarian diet doesn't extend to a balanced exchange of views. As for people like you putting me out of a job, quite the opposite is likely to be true ... I'm a mental health nurse!

I definitely do not agree with what you say, but I still defend your right to say it, though the inference that vegetarians are mentally ill is pretty offensive and makes the Worral Thompson comment about 'poor vegetarians' that started this little exchange seem like a compliment.

I'm not sure why a mental health nurse should say "trust me" re matters of diet. I may not be officially trained in nutrition, but I have a good knowledge of the subject, so I'm not in need of a lecture about balanced diets. I'm also not trained in mental health care, but I do have a good knowledge of some aspects of that subject, having looked after my mother who had dementia for nearly 10 years. She wasn't a vegetarian, by the way.

As for a balanced exchange of views, I don't understand what's so unbalanced about the view that it's healthy to consume less meat or meat products and more fruit and veg.

Anyway, this is in danger of becoming nasty, so enough already - life is too short for this kind of thing (though vegetarians do live longer than meat eaters, of course!)

Pam

PS: I see you've edited your original post. I was interrupted half-way through doing my response so the quote above is what I'm responding to.

PPS: And I still think that Worrel Triple-Bypass Thompson has more front than Blackpool for his condescending bloody remark about veggies!

Senior Member Country: England smiffy's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    name='Pam1927']

A balanced diet is great in theory, but, judging by the enormous number of enormous arses I see wobbling around the supermarket these days, few people actually follow one!

I'll continue to trust my lifestyle of 30 years' standing, as I'm one of the healthiest people I know. If there were more people like me, a lot of nurses would be out of a job!

Pam

I couldn't agree with you more Pam , but I think a life of convenience has more to do with todays obesity problem than an over indulgence of meat

I also agree with me old china plate Bats , who although being a carnivore like myself , hits the nail on the head by mentioning balance.

You are at different ends of the scale ,but If you both moved into the middle at the same time you would have some common ground , and still maintain your balance

PS have you noticed that If you prefix AWTs initials with a T then read It backwards , It Is a perfect description of his TV persona ?

Liked
    0 times
    I couldn't agree with you more Pam , but I think a life of convenience has more to do with todays obesity problem than an over indulgence of meat

I also agree with me old china plate Bats , who although being a carnivore like myself , hits the nail on the head by mentioning balance.

You are at different ends of the scale ,but If you both moved into the middle at the same time you would have some common ground , and still maintain your balance

PS have you noticed that If you prefix AWTs initials with a T then read It backwards , It Is a perfect description of his TV persona ?

Hi smiffy!

My flippant little remark about that tiresome AWT (who definitely should have a T at the beginning of his name!) has certainly grown like Topsy, hasn't it!!!

I've just reread the offending posts, and, at risk of sounding like a stuck record, at no point did I mention anything other than the consumption of less meat/meat products and more fruit and veg. I think that's generally the received wisdom re a healthy diet these days, and one that I agree with. It's a bit much to be called a food fascist when stating, albeit jokingly, what most doctors would tell you (though my joking obviously went down like a fart at a funeral in some quarters!). I didn't actually say that everyone should become veggie, even though, on a personal level, I would love that to be the case - but that's a matter of my personal ethics and is a separate discussion to the matter of health.

I agree that the obesity epidemic is not just about an over-indulgence of meat/meat products and that the sedentary lifestyle of much of our population is a big factor that's led to the big arses that we see so much of today! There's no doubt that both things are to blame - more saturated fats and less activity equals an unhealthy bunch of Brits!

Talking (again) of big arses, who the hell thought that bringing leggings back into fashion was a good idea? Whoever it was, they should be bloody shot!

I think Bats and I are somewhat at odds over who insulted whom first, but probably less so than it might appear on the matter of healthy diets. My non-eating of meat is my personal choice, based on my personal ethics; but my views on meat-eating are not as hard-line as some may choose to think... but I'm getting bored with this now, so I'm off to bed!

(Don't worry, sheep, I'm only going to count ya, not eat ya!)

Pam

Liked
    255 times
    Good morning Pam. My posts, especially the comments re food fascists and mental health were intended to be as light-hearted as yours (hence the smilies) so the farting/funeral scenario goes both ways, I did withdraw the latter voluntarily and apologise for any offence it caused. My wife is a vegetarian so I have no issue with vegetarianism whatsoever. As a mental health nursed I am trained in nutrition as we have to look after our patients physical and mental well-being. It wasn't my intention to lecture you, I was simply putting across another point of view. I, too, am now bored with this so let's move on to something else .... I know, climate change fascists!

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='wadsy']We used to play out all day & go anywhere, just as long as we got home before

dark. Different times!

The age of innocence - now sadly gone.

Dave.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='David Brent']The age of innocence - now sadly gone.

Dave.
    The age of blissful ignorance. There were as many (or as few) dangers back then as there are now. But now people are told about all the dangers all the time so they wrap their little darlings in cotton wool and don't let them do anything

Steve

Liked
    416 times
    There was nothing better than scraped knees, but you had to show blood of course! Then you knew you had had a great day!

xx

Liked
    416 times
    But now of course today`s little darlings might knock their leg on the table while adjusting thier computer chair, then there would be a mountain of paper work on teachers desk to do for the health and safety people!

xx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast