Liked
    0 times
    As a Media student I'm currently researching into "Women in Film" and I've chosen Helena Bonham-Carter and Tim Burton's relationship as a study point. I am asking a fundamental question and would appreciate everyones opinion. Please be aware that I may be using your post as part of my research.

The question is:

"Do you feel as though Tim Burton has influenced Helena's career due to personal relations (i.e their marriage)?She once played roles that conveyed those of an English Rose but since her collaboration with Burton these roles have become more and more eccentric."

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    I think HBCs age is also a factor here.........

I never regarded HBC as an 'English rose' type though, even 20 years ago.....

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    "Do you feel as though Tim Burton has influenced Helena's career due to personal relations (i.e their marriage)?She once played roles that conveyed those of an English Rose but since her collaboration with Burton these roles have become more and more eccentric."[/QUOTE]

She may have looked like an English rose, but she certainly didn't always play as such. There was always a kind of darkness or some eccentricity: in Howard's End or Wings of the Dove for example. At 20, sure, she was the sweet young thing in Room with a View and Lady Jane Grey, but throughout her career there has nearly always been a quirkiness. Inevitably, her collaboration with Tim Burton, himself an eccentric, has highlighted this. I think she's a very good, underrated actress and am delighted that her partnership with TB has produced some great roles for her.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Hi.

TB seems to stick with the same actors/actresses (where through marriage or not), as these people suit the role profile he is looking for, whether this is in looks or personality. I mean, Johnny Depp and Winona Rider are also in at least two of TBs movies so there is obviously a professional chemistry there whatever their personal relationship is like. And these people to me always suit the parts they play in TB movies.

As for being more eccentric through the influence of TB, I don`t think so as she was quite the eccentric in `Howards end`. TB`s movies are just in a different genre.

I agree she does have a `dark gothic` look about her and this is probably appropriate with her playing unusual or outrageous characters, this could have been done without her husbands work if HBC had been given more opportunitiy before, therefore I think thats all his work has given her, a good opportunity. And so saying, remember, she has had work with the Gothic look before in Kenneth Brannagh's `Frankenstein`, so Burton hasn't been the only one to realise her potential in this kind of role.

If you need any more info pm me, as I too have studied women in Gothic film.

xx

Liked
    0 times
    I'd prefer not to put my view into this work as it's more about getting the research than my personal opinion. Another question would be:

Do you feel HBC's career would have dwindled if she had not met Burton?

and if so: Does her personal life reflect the film "A Room with a View" as she is constrained by a man?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    We don't mention HBC in our house. Mrs Bat was also up for the part of 'Lady Jane' and apparently did a great audition ..... but then (she was told by a production assistant) nepotism reared it's ugly head and HBC got the part.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    but then (she was told by a production assistant) nepotism reared it's ugly head and HBC got the part.
    Exactly. Could you argue that even from an earlier age HBC got ahead in the world of film due to her contacts?

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    It's a very interesting subject – I see you're chosen a pic of Anthony Hopkins in the Elephant Man for your 'avator' which is somewhat appropriate. Like that film, which matched the US's David Lynch and producer Mel Brooks with solid UK talent, the relationship between quirky Tim Burton and v.British HBC has led to some projects in which HBC would have been overlooked if not for Burton (ie Willy Wonka's mum I'd suggest) ...it's helped Burton seem more mainstream, so a trade-off if you like.

Some....let's call them 'transatlantic relations', like the Elephant Man (1980) result in high-art - my favourite film actually. TB/HBC has yet to get into that league, but there's time...

something to learn early in life, especially in entertainment/media: the nepotism machine will NEVER conk out, it'll always be there

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that insight David. It's still early days for this coursework (only on research stage) but I will keep everyone updated on what I find.

And the Elephant Man is quite extraordinary. Every time I attempt to explain why I just can't manage to give it the justice it deserves.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlottie01
    I'd prefer not to put my view into this work as it's more about getting the research than my personal opinion. Another question would be:

Do you feel HBC's career would have dwindled if she had not met Burton?

and if so: Does her personal life reflect the film "A Room with a View" as she is constrained by a man?
    Is this a poll on HBC's popularity? Questions like these require personal opinions as answers, rather than facts don't they? So you're using our opinions, but not your own?

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I'm trying not to put my opinion too much into it as I don't want to create an impression on other peoples answers. I know this makes me sound full of myself but if I'm including this as research I don't want other peoples answers to be shrouded in bias.

Liked
    416 times
    I don`t think HBC`S career would have dwindled, she is a good enough actress and there aren`t a great deal of them who are noticed these days even if they have talent which is a shame.

What I will say though is that she came from a wealthy family (or so I hear) therefore she probably had the best drama education available when she first started out, possibly in the know with influencial family friends too etc. I`m not contradicting my first answer when you first posted, I still think Burton has only given her lots of opportunity to work, not prove herself, as she was already, however she got there, well known as an actress.

xx

Liked
    0 times
    Having a rich or famous family might get you through the door to a part, but if you can't deliver the goods, then you won't last long. I don' t believe HBC is constrained by her man, I believe she is successful because she's a very good actress. She has partnered two very influencial and talented men in the industry, who have clearly recognised her worth and were in a position to give her high profile roles. But she was already famous before either of them came along and I believe this would have continued without them.

Liked
    416 times
    Can`t wait to see this one with Helena . Timothy Spall plays Winston Churchill.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1504320/plotsummary

xx