Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    I watched this film over the weekend, and left the cinema with mixed feelings. Despite the wonderful cast of veteran actors (and the slightly misleading trailer) this was far from being a nostalgic trip down memory lane.

The film's main recommendation was Peter O'Toole's Oscar-nominated leading performance, which was flawless despite his frailty. A consummate actor, with movie-star presence and charisma, he dominated the film. The script was also sharp and witty in places, but there was too much casual bad language for my personal taste. The sight of Leslie Phillips "effing and blinding" like a trooper was a bit of a shock!

The central theme is about an old man trying to experience passion in his life for one last time. Personally, I found the relationship between the old man and the young girl slightly unconvincing. I didn't find the characters endearing and felt slightly uncomfortable watching certain scenes. Also, the grey, gloomy photography rather betrayed the film's modest budget, although it did fit the melancholic tone.

Overall, a film of highs and lows. I didn't have strong feelings either way.

Regards

Phil Turner

Liked
    0 times
    Snap!

Despite the hype I thought this was no more than average and was more like a TV play. I found my attention wandering when it was on and I am not sure why it is up for awards - although maybe that's down to the fact there isn't much else and of course there is the sympathy vote for older actors.

To me the sign of a really good film is I wake up the next morning and I think about it, but on this one I didn't really feel anything for the characters and within an hour of seeing it I had forgotten all about it.

Liked
    0 times
    It would be great to see Peter O'Toole with another award on Oscar night.

His fantastic career deserves more recognision from the industry.

I'm not sure though whether Venus is a strong enough film to swing the votes in O'Toole's favour.

Liked
    0 times
    I too thought it was a weak movie ...and I didn't care for O'Toole's performance!

So, I guess I feel the same was about him, as I do about Martin Scorsese:

they both did their best work well into the past, and they should not get acting or directing awards merely because "It's Time" and they did movies last year.

That would be very stupid.

Give'em Lifetime Achievement's, or some other special award. To give Martin Scorsese or Peter O'Toole a regular, yearly commendation, would be disingenuous and shoddy.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I have just searched the site and other than a mention in a list I can not see it mentioned. I find that surprising. Last of the Summer Wine meets 'Kitchen Sink'. The film was good enough for a bit of space, I would think.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo
    I have just searched the site and other than a mention in a list I can not see it mentioned. I find that surprising. Last of the Summer Wine meets 'Kitchen Sink'. The film was good enough for a bit of space, I would think.
    Which one do you mean? There are quite a few with that title.

Do you mean the Peter O'Toole / Leslie Philips one made in 2006?

Steve

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Which one do you mean? There are quite a few with that title.

Do you mean the Peter O'Toole / Leslie Philips one made in 2006?

Steve
    That is the one, I saw it only relatively recently and then again on somebody's list in the forum, searched for it to compare views but nothing came up. I found that surprising as it was, again, good value �4 watchable film and an opportunity to see that the old boys have not lost their touch. These films should be supported as well as the CGI blockbusters as they are a substitute for the theatre for those who do not travel too well.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Venus (UK, 2006) on Film Four

Is this film sexist ?

Would it work as well with two elderly lady actors and a young lad (perhaps STORMBREAKER's Alex Pettyfer.....) ?

Who would you cast as the ladies?

Perhaps Jean Kent and Googie Withers ?

Liked
    103 times
    A 'feminist view' of the film which was posted on Amazon UK....

Would you agree?

I am so glad I watched this film whilst doing the ironing - at least I did not completely waste my time! Generally I love films which deal with difficult subjects, especially those that provoke discussion etc. Venus however just made my skin crawl, Peter O'Toole, Phillips and Redgrave are all fine actors and gave great performances. But the main theme of the film - a grandfather who falls in love with his friend's very young (but legal!) niece is sleazy and uncomfortable to watch. ......

[continued on Amazon UK. at:

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Venus [DVD] [2007]

Liked
    103 times
    I found the 'Venus' character to be absolutely typical in manner and attitude [and love of Pot Noodles...] of many of the undergraduates in our UK universities today.

My long time friend [who has just taken early retirement from teaching Film and Media studies in a Northern University] says that it was facing a class of 'Venus types' on a daily basis [all demanding to be 'educated', and whose career ambition was to be a model or better still, a 'presenta' on the tele] that finally drove him out !

Member Country: UK Afterglow2001's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='julian_craster']Venus (UK, 2006) on Film Four

Is this film sexist ?

Would it work as well with two elderly lady actors and a young lad (perhaps STORMBREAKER's Alex Pettyfer.....) ?

Who would you cast as the ladies?

Perhaps Jean Kent and Googie Withers ?
    Elsa Lancaster?.....Diana Dors.......

Well Women don't tend to get quite as lusty as men in their old age (on the whole). If it were old women then it would have to be more of a maternal thing. But I really can't see the problem as it's not as if the romance is given any creedence, O'Toole is made to come across as rather foolish and a little pathetic at times.