Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I think it was the wilkes or wilkins family?

saw one episode a while back celebrating something to do with t.v.

can still remember that tune at the beginning.

I dont suppose anyone has any of the series?

would be a right blast from the past,--I used to remember looking forward to the the next episode every week.

Senior Member Country: Scotland steereomono's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't have the series, but the superb theme can be found on this compilation CD - At Track 16 is "The Family" by Mr Brooks

Amazon.com: Gather in the Mushrooms: British Acid Folk Underground: Music: Various Artists

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Oops!! Posted this in the 'film' bit yesterday by accident, butterfingers. And for some reason I don't seem to be able to edit it out. Anyone care to help me?

Anywaaay..the original post went as follows.

Hi there. Bit of a long shot this, and my apologies to anyone I have attempted to contact in the past but not actually gotten round to doing any actual trading with, but I thought there was no harm in asking.

Does ANYONE out there have the entirety of the legendary 12-episode series 'The Family' on any format? I thought there would be copies floating around the internet everywhere, what with its popularity and the high regard in which it is held- but apparently not. I've never seen it in full, only clips (largely on the followup show in the 80s, me being too young to have caught the original) and am in desperate need to get hold of the full Wilkins saga!! As , I understand, are a lot of other people.

My apologies also to the trader who is still expecting a DVDR of 'Jumping Bean Bag'- my recorder broke last year and since then I've been up to my arse in debt and unable to replace it!!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Apologies if this has been requested before (couldn't find any old threads), but does anyone have the 1974 series 'The Family' (about the Wilkins family) to trade? Lots to trade.

Liked
    4 times
    I asked for it ages ago and naebody replied to me.

I know a bloke who did have it: Gordon King, former bassist of the glam rock band Earl Brutus (he left years ago to be replaced by the similarly named Phil King, who is also a fan of the show and of cult TV in general, but doesn't have a copy)

Gordon lent his video to Bob Stanley of Saint Etienne fame (also 'artist in residence'/booker for the Royal Festival Hall) in about 1990-something: he never returned it. I presume he still has it as he's screened an episode here and there at mini-festivals, and sampled it onto an album. He's also largely uncontactable unless he thinks you might make him some money.

I also went on YouTube and found va one of the matches for "wilkins family" or something like that that one of the kids of Karen and Gary Wilkins (the brother who had already left home and his missus) has a video of it, as do all of the descendants of the clan, and was thinking of uploading some stuff...but whether or not they'd sell you a copy is another matter.

It's quite a lot, isn't it? About 10 or 12 hours of footage? Or were the episodes only 30 mins?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info... Musicians - never lend them anything!! I don't know if the programmes were half an hour or an hour. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Liked
    0 times
    BBC4 ran a 2hr compilation of the series a few years ago at the end of one of their 'which tv decade was the greatest' (or some such) seasons. They had also screened a single episode I believe.

I do have these straight to dvd (certainly I have the compilation) but I'm not sure if the end is missing as the programme shown was dependant on the results that night and hence not pre-scheduled...I seem to remember it over-ran the allocated schedule... Anyway I'm happy to trade those if you're interested.

Liked
    0 times
    Does anybody have the 70s fly on the wall documentary series 'The Family'? It was about the Wilkins family in reading. It was shown in 1974 but repeated in the early 90s.

I recorded the series in the 90s but am missing two programmes. If anyone can help please let me know. You might be missing some and we can help each other.

Thanks for your time.

Liked
    0 times
    I can remember the whole 1974 series being repeated during the late 1980's (around 1987/88 perhaps?), because I watched it all. Sorry I didn't record it though.

I remember that after it got repeated, they did a follow up story on that family and how things had changed by then.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    name='film1967']Does anybody have the 70s fly on the wall documentary series 'The Family'? It was about the Wilkins family in reading. It was shown in 1974 but repeated in the early 90s.

I recorded the series in the 90s but am missing two programmes. If anyone can help please let me know. You might be missing some and we can help each other.

Thanks for your time.

I've got the whole series on vhs as I was one of the film editors on.

Dave King

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    name='MrSkipling']Thanks for the info... Musicians - never lend them anything!! I don't know if the programmes were half an hour or an hour. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Each episode was 30 mins long though the Wedding episode my have been a little longer - perhaps abt 50 mins - I just can't remember.

Dave

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your repsonse. I have sent you a PM.

Cheers

film1967