Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Not sure I've posted in the right forum, but they're you go... My eldest boy (16) has just discovered Lenny Henry (not high profile in NYC) and I was considering some "Chef" DVd's for his Xmas box.I only ever saw one episode, not bad but not classic as I remember. Any opinios out there ? Any other Lenny H I should consider ?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='billy bentley']Not sure I've posted in the right forum, but they're you go... My eldest boy (16) has just discovered Lenny Henry (not high profile in NYC) and I was considering some "Chef" DVd's for his Xmas box.I only ever saw one episode, not bad but not classic as I remember. Any opinios out there ? Any other Lenny H I should consider ?

Check the list at the IMDb. But check how large a role he had in anything, he sometimes guested in a small role. Also check Wikipedia.

Most of what he's done is sketch based or stand-up comedy but he has done some drama as well.

Avoid True Identity (1991). It's just too embarrassing to watch.

There are a few other TV dramas that he was in but Chef was one of the few where he was the main character. His character seems to have taken lessons from all the chefs that think it's clever to shout at their underlings all the time, which is a shame. But apart from that it does have some good drama as well as moments of humour and pathos.

Steve

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    From what I remember, as I haven't seen it since it was first shown in the late '80s, the Lenny Henry Show was funny, but doesn't seem to be on DVD.

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    CHEF! was created by Peter Tilbury, the man behind SHELLEY- and it's true to say that in his diatribing, long-winded sarcastic rants, Gareth Blackstock did come across as a black version of Hywel Bennett's most famous character.

I found it very funny at the time but found the last series a little hurried, not to mention the fact that the characters kept swopping from episode to episode depending on which actors were available. And they arsed around with the schedule all the time so it was difficult to follow. Such was the way of 90s BBC comedy.

I've still got a few episodes on tape, but sadly posess no copying equipment at the moment.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Nick Dando']From what I remember, as I haven't seen it since it was first shown in the late '80s, the Lenny Henry Show was funny, but doesn't seem to be on DVD.

Nick

Some people don't seem to like him whatever he does. But I certainly enjoyed The Lenny Henry Show. That was more stand-up and sketches.

He also starred as the new head teacher brought in to a failing school in Hope & Glory (1999) and there was a short series with his Delbert Wilkinson character running his pirate radio station from a block of flats in London

Steve

Liked
    13 times
    Steve Crook's mention of a "pirate radio station from a block of flats' sounds well interesting. Any more info, anyone ?

Liked
    0 times
    Not really a great fan of LH but I do remember a one-off drama he did back in 1987 called "Coast To Coast" that was pretty good.

Liked
    418 times
    name='billy bentley']Steve Crook's mention of a "pirate radio station from a block of flats' sounds well interesting. Any more info, anyone ?

Delbert was a character that Lenny created in The Lenny Henry Show. These could have just been extended sketches in that show but I think that they were shown as a separate series. I think Vas Blackwood co-starred as Delbert's friend and assistant.

Ah yes, it seems to have been the 1987 run of [i]The Lenny Henry Show. There's a mention in a user comment on that IMDb link about Llenny & Vas running a pirate radio station. Although Vas Blackwood is only listed on the IMDb in one episode, playing Winston, I think he was in most of them.

It doesn't look like it's been commercially released. Maybe someone's got a copy?

Steve

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']Some people don't seem to like him whatever he does. But I certainly enjoyed The Lenny Henry Show. That was more stand-up and sketches.

He also starred as the new head teacher brought in to a failing school in Hope & Glory (1999) and there was a short series with his Delbert Wilkinson character running his pirate radio station from a block of flats in London

Steve

I'm afraid I'm one of them. I couldn't stand him BEFORE my company kindly treated us to a Christmas do somewhere near Crickhowell to see him live. After about 15 minutes nearly all of us retired to the bar.

Unbelieveably bad & totally unfunny IMO.

But HEY....we're all different right

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    I used to like him and certainly enjoyed Chef - then suddenly didn't find him funny any more. Not sure what happened.

And now he's going to play Othello. I do wish him well but I can't for the life of me understand why he - or the producer - thinks he can take on this giant of a role.

Oh, and he's going to do it in his Dudley accent because that's close to Shakespeare's dialect. Hm, the Moor of Venice . . .

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Dudley's got a canal. Venice and Dudley are very similar, if you squint a lot.

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Caine']I'm afraid I'm one of them. I couldn't stand him BEFORE my company kindly treated us to a Christmas do somewhere near Crickhowell to see him live. After about 15 minutes nearly all of us retired to the bar.

Unbelieveably bad & totally unfunny IMO.

But HEY....we're all different right

Ditto. And the crack he made at the Queen's Jubilee about the black guardsman on the gate with a gun sums him up over the past ten years. Where did he get that chip on his shoulder from?

Regards,

HG

Liked
    0 times
    Billy - I've seen "Chef" DVDs on ebay UK.

FYI ... If you do get a DVD from the UK, be advised that you'll probably need a DVD player that can play PAL Region 2 discs (the UK television format) - most US players are set for Region 1. The Cyberhome 300 player, at around $30, can be re-set to Region 2 with the remote, and it converts PAL to US format quite nicely.

Liked
    13 times
    Thanks Georgia, I have a multi-region DVD player.

Liked
    0 times
    The complete box set of Chef is available on Play.com for �7.99