Thread: Ghost Stories

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I have tried and failed to get the Amazing Mr Blunden for a light ghost story this Chritmas break. Any other ideas, preferably B/W british. Suitable for family viewing around the fire in the dark.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Dead of Night

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    A very good ghost story was on BBC the other week. The Signalman. It is a little over 30 minutes long but it is very good. It was originally shown over the Christmas period some years ago.

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The Amazing Mr Blunden is available to rent from Lovefilm

Liked
    80 times
    The Uninvited is a great film, black and white, made in Hollywood, but set in Cornwall, and with Ray Milland. May be a little too scary for some children, though.

There is The Lady in White with Lukas Haas or The Watcher in the Woods (made in Britain, I think) with Bette Davis. which may be better family viewing.

Of course, there is always the Will Hay films with spooky elements such as The Ghost of St. Michael's, Ask a Policeman, and Oh, Mr. Porter!.

Euryale.

Senior Member Country: United States Lord Lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Bernardo']I have tried and failed to get the Amazing Mr Blunden for a light ghost story this Chritmas break. Any other ideas, preferably B/W british. Suitable for family viewing around the fire in the dark.

The obvious answer for me is 1951 version of a Christmas Carol starring Alastair Sim Scrooge (1951), if you want to crank up the scarey level a few notches it's got to be 1963's The Haunting. One of the truly scariest horror movies ever made , without hacking people to pieces. The Haunting (1963/I).

The Ghost goes West is another good one, if you can get a copy The Ghost Goes West (1935).

Then of course if you like romance and a ghost story The Ghost and Mrs Muir is a must see The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)

I have no idea how old your children are however The Haunting might be too scary before bedtime for kids under teenage years

Liked
    0 times
    Mr Corbett's Ghost (1986?) is a good one to look out for

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='George Bailey']A very good ghost story was on BBC the other week. The Signalman. It is a little over 30 minutes long but it is very good. It was originally shown over the Christmas period some years ago.

I'll agree with that choice George. It is very good.

Halfway House (1944) and And Then There Were None (1945) are also excellent spooky films.

Also for some creepy fun at Christmas I suggest The Cat And The Canary (1939) with Bob Hope and Hold That Ghost (1941) with Abbott and Costello.

Dave.