Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    A very interesting film from Joseph Losey........

How was it released in 1963 ?

Probably bottom half of a 'Hammer double bill' on ABC circuit........

And a very good performance from Shirley Anne Field, who I have previously under-rated in her 1960s films such as The War Lover

screenonline: Damned, The (1963)

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    I liked it

a film of two halves and a mix of fashions in the gang too

part one was a missbehaving biker gang lead by a mod and his sister

part two was a Sci-fi story about radioactive children being held so they can inherit the earth when world war 3 happens

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I just watched it as well. It has some points of interest but is really quite corny, especially when viewed from the position of knowing that the cold war didn't turn into a nuclear Armageddon.

Some of the performances were quite adequate but I'd never realised the level of talent of Shirley Ann Field before. When ever I'd seen her in other things (Beat Girl, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and others) I must have been concentrating on the story or the real actors around her.

She's quite pleasant on the eye but every movement and every line seemed to be forced and overly considered. Her timing was often a bit off and unnatural when she responded to other people.

It's no wonder that Michael Powell selected her as Diane Ashley, the fainting actress in Peeping Tom. She was perfect for the part

Steve

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    First half was almost embarrassingly bad.The campest bunch of "Teddy Boys" in England.I was about 7 when it was made but always thought Teddy Boys wore the Edwardian style drape coats etc. black leathers and motorbikes were Rockers ,or so I have always thought.Had the guy who wrote the exceedingly cheesey song never heard any popular music from which to get some ideas.(somebody could've played him a Gene Vincent record to plagiarise).I've never rated Shirley Ann field except as a pretty face.

Once the story got into the radioactive kids it picked up a little.The theme that the good guys are at times the bad guys and vice versa was interesting but too much of the film was wasted on the hopeless gang story.

As the girl on Thank Your Lucky Stars used to say"I'll give it five"

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    After reading comments here I was looking very forward to seeing it - What a disappointment. To me it was a lesson in coarse acting and the highlight for me was a bank of Vortexions. Drool-drool drool.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    This is a film which always seems to divide opinion.......

I would say........

- One of Hammer's Top 10 productions

- Superbly photographed and edited

- Outstanding use of locations in Weymouth and Portland (Losey was very good at location filming)

- a genre film which still has something to say (the nuclear threat has not gone away with the end of the 'cold war'.......)

- and I actually liked the performances, including Shirley ! (she was very good in the cave scenes)

This also illustrates why those pre-Christmas newspaper lists of the '100 DVDs You Must Own' variety are complete garbage (the 'compliers' are often bribed by DVD companies to include their titles.....).

Many excellent films such as Losey's THE DAMNED are not available on DVD.....and each person's taste in films is different. Imagine if we all liked/disliked the same titles - how boring that would be.......

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    enjoyed the locations, and absolutely loved the music, it was so bad it was good, I cannot get the bloody words out of my head Olly was an imposing guy was he not??

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    Olly was an imposing guy was he not??
    Indeed he was....

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster
    A very interesting film from Joseph Losey........

How was it released in 1963 ?

Probably bottom half of a 'Hammer double bill' on ABC circuit........
    I saw it when it was first released and it was the second half of a double bill. I think the structure of the film confused those of us who saw it at the time. I didn't think much of the first half but thought the second half fascinating. The film had a much bigger impact than the first feature - I can't even remember what it was.

Liked
    7 times
    I agree that the first 30m or so aren't very good, laughably unconvincing and extremely dated - Losey, being an intellectual left-winger, obviously didn't have much of a clue about the working class British "Teddy Boy" scene. Ironically, I think (if my recollections of Wayne Kinsey's book are correct) this opening section was heavily rewritten by Losey compared to the original source material. I originally saw this at an NFT screening and the Losey-sympathetic NFT audience was clearly embarrassed during this opening section.

But, once they comes across the kids in the cave, it does get a lot better.

Member Country: Djibouti
    Liked
    0 times
    I've sat through it all now and it certainly does improve - slightly. I wonder about the order of filming, the first half feels tacked-on and most of the cast seem less engaged than in the second.

Either way, it remains an irredeemable mess even for a lover of cheap 'n' cheerful B-movies.

Vlad

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    I've heard that Losey choose the Portland Bill location because he confused it with the chemical warfare establishment at Porton Down.

D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12