Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    151 times
    Nick Love starts UK shoot of The Firm

Audrey Ward in London

27 Oct 2008 10:38

Principal photography has started on The Firm, written and directed by Nick Love (The Business, The Football Factory) starring newcomer Paul Anderson, Calum MacNab (The Football Factory) and Daniel Mays (Shifty).

The $4m (�2.5m) film is produced by Allan Niblo and James Richardson of Vertigo Films. Shooting will take place in and around London.

The Firm retells a similar story to Alan Clarke's original 1989 classic UK TV drama, which focused on UK football hooligan culture, where gangs were known as firms and members were described as casuals due to their uniform of designer clothing. In the feature version, the plot centres on Dom, an aspiring casual, who gets drawn into the charismatic but dangerous world of the firm's leader, Bex.

"The original Firm was the sole reason I became a film-maker," said Love. "For me, the pull of the casual culture wasn't so much the violence, it was the music, the clothes, the clubs and girls, the swagger and confidence everyone embodied, that's how I see my version of the movie."

Vertigo Films will distribute the film in the UK & Ireland with Protagonist Pictures International handling worldwide sales.

Liked
    0 times
    How depressing.

So basically he's remaking the film that he ripped off when he made The Football Factory?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    a new Nick Love effort is never good news

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    How does it compare to Green Street?

(Don't be too rude as I used to live there and experienced the er.. ambience)

Liked
    0 times
    I think this will be a great film, it is styled with the1980's theme and will be The Business mixed with the Football factory to produce his best film yet

Keeping up with Gary Oldman's class act in the first film is always going to be tough but I am sure it will be done

Nick Love always tackles real issues that people try to ignore, from the 1970's Football, Clothes, Violence and Girls have been a major factor in british lad culture and will always remain

He has a perfect eye for detail and always creates a film with spark, humour and colour whilst everyone else are making carbon copy crappy miserable gangsta and horror flicks! zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    "it is styled with the1980's theme and will be The Business mixed with the Football factory"

So no new ideas then.

"Nick Love always tackles real issues that people try to ignore, from the 1970's Football, Clothes, Violence and Girls have been a major factor in british lad culture and will always remain"

And have been done to death in countless other TV/film productions.

"whilst everyone else are making carbon copy crappy miserable gangsta and horror flicks zzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Some but not everyone. Talking about carbon copies, what's this .... another Nick Love film, and a remake to boot, about lad culture, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Liked
    0 times
    Please tell me of a good British film that is not a carbon copy and I will be glad to watch it

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='mullers']He has a perfect eye for detail and always creates a film with spark, humour and colour whilst everyone else are making carbon copy crappy miserable gangsta and horror flicks! zzzzzzzzzzzzz

So instead of that he makes a carbon copy of a classic?

Doesn't he have any original ideas?

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='mullers']Please tell me of a good British film that is not a carbon copy and I will be glad to watch it

To name but a few ....

A Canterbury Tale/The Third Man/The Ladykillers/The Ipcress File/Dr No/The 39 Steps (original version ) etc etc.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm personally very excited about Nick Love's upcoming remake of 'The Firm'. I was lucky enough to see them filming a scene in Camden on the Maiden Lane Estate. It looks like Nick Love has done the business (pardon the pun).

Liked
    0 times
    To name but a few ....

A Canterbury Tale/The Third Man/The Ladykillers/The Ipcress File/Dr No/The 39 Steps (original version ) etc etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Boom boom a baby .... Banham Zoo .... Banana pants! Hahahaha"

THE WINNER OF BAT-QUIZ 15 HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED (29/11/8)

YEAH THANKS THESE FILMS SOUND REALLY CLASSY!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    God leave it alone,i love the original.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Yes, but at least Danny Dyer's not in it!

Liked
    0 times
    Still going to be a good film though so shush!

Liked
    151 times
    Warner Bros. Pictures UK will release Nick Love�s latest movie The Firm in a joint venture with Vertigo Films.

Set for release in the UK and Ireland on September 25, The Firm which was written and directed by Love, is loosely adapted from Alan Clarke�s classic 1989 drama of the same name.

Set in England during Eighties, the violent drama tells the story of Dom (Calum McNab), a young man with no direction in life who becomes entranced by football hooligan Bex (Paul Anderson).

Love said: �As an independent film-maker, teaming up with a major studio like Warner Bros ensures a really strong position in the marketplace, so I�m absolutely thrilled to be partnering with them on this release.�

Liked
    0 times
    It is always a thorny issue when someone decides to remake or do a cover version. The question is always the same, why? What extra can be brought this time around? Well i guess we will have to wait and see before passing judgement.

Liked
    151 times
    It looks as expected, a shallow nostalgia trip - with the word 'geezer' no doubt prominent in the script.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCVms8xFnbw]YouTube - The Firm (2009) - Teaser Trailer[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    name='mullers']I think this will be a great film, it is styled with the1980's theme and will be The Business mixed with the Football factory to produce his best film yet

Keeping up with Gary Oldman's class act in the first film is always going to be tough but I am sure it will be done

Nick Love always tackles real issues that people try to ignore, from the 1970's Football, Clothes, Violence and Girls have been a major factor in british lad culture and will always remain

He has a perfect eye for detail and always creates a film with spark, humour and colour whilst everyone else are making carbon copy crappy miserable gangsta and horror flicks! zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hi mate, my first post on here and it's one which I felt I had to comment on.

You say he has a perfect eye for detail, which isn't strictly true. The basis for the plot centres, I believe, on the European Championship of 1988, in Germany. The casual fashion of italian designer sportswear had died out a good 3 years before that in favour of more tailored labels. And no-one ever wore the whole tracksuits when they went to matches, usually just the jackets over t-shirts with jeans on.

Just thought I'd point out that his eye for detail and reality isn't quite what you'd have us believe. In fact, it seems to pander to the popular style, which is at the moment the comeback of the old terrace casual designer sportswear look in football grounds. His eye for detail wasn't great in The Business, either. But, on the whole, I enjoy his films

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    name='DB7']).

Love said: �As an independent film-maker, teaming up with a major studio like Warner Bros ensures a really strong position in the marketplace, so I�m absolutely thrilled to be partnering with them on this release.�

And recipient of the Madonna Award for Outstanding Talent to boot. When I think of the people I know trying to get their great (original) screenplays made, it makes me

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    THE FIRM is released on September 18.

In today's Times, Nick Love talks to Kevin Maher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast