Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Does anyone here collect vintage 78s/45s etc?

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I have an awful lot of 33s and 45s. And I love every one of them.

Liked
    137 times
    Yep, me too can't bear to part with any of them and if I pass a record shop anywhere I cannot resist the temptaion to pop in and look for some long forgotten gems

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    British Traditional Jazz for me, I have one or two LPs EPs 45 and 78 rpms plus of course the re-issues as CDs though they do not feature the obscure local bands so much.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    British Folk-Rock for me 331/3 and 45's - the Fairport Convention and their individual members, fellow travellers like The Eclection, Shirley and Dolly Collins.....though I do have some film-related '78's....

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I've got boxes and boxes of lps and several hundred singles, but not too many 78's. I have a pal who has a small room devoted to his '78 collection.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Speaking personally, I do have a box of 78s, mainly Petula Clark and Shirley Bassey, who I've collected religiously! The rest is bits of everything, to be honest I try not to collect as space is an issue! I'm currently looking for some 78s by Billy Reid's Accordion Band (featuring Dorothy Squires), so if anyone can help, do send me a message please!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I still poke about in charity shopps for rare and unusual items. I've spent ages looking for brass/military band cover versions of the Thunderbirds march, and have only ever found one (this summer, in Llandidno).

Soon I'll be able to transfer them to MP3 format.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='Lord Brett']I still poke about in charity shopps for rare and unusual items. I've spent ages looking for brass/military band cover versions of the Thunderbirds march, and have only ever found one (this summer, in Llandidno).

Soon I'll be able to transfer them to MP3 format.

That is one of the reasons I upgraded the PC was to move the collection to MP3. When I saw how many, I edited the collection down to best and favourites, I then edited them down to rescue valued tracks at risk. I will do them all one day.

Liked
    0 times
    I have about 1000 78s and 400 LPs.They take up a lot of space>Mainly from the 20s and 30s.

Liked
    0 times
    I have shelves full of records (my collection), and crates full of records (my business stock!)

Nothing that I'd personally term as vintage (prior to the creation of the pop charts), and just a solitary 78 - Al Martino's "Here In My Heart" (the first No.1 record pop pickers )

Liked
    0 times
    I have one thousand and six hundred L.P.S my collection is so large half of them are down my Mums. Ialso have about the same number of cd's if not more.

I love them all. Of course I know I havent got enough time to give each one of them my full attention but I am always reminded of Semprinie when I think of my records and cd;s,"Old ones new ones and neglected ones," that covers it nicely.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I left so many back home, mainly albums, but took a few good ones with me though. I have the collection of 7 inch singles released on blue vinyl by The Police, never been played and never will be. Deep Purple's album Mk 1 & 11 which was printed and released in Germany and has been enjoyed many times over.

Hooked off the line

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Vinyl junkie here too. Literally thousands of them (part of my job but I've never parted with them). Ranging from 50's rock n' roll & swinging 60's to original film soundtracks & Telly Savalas albums (sad I know but someone has to).

Liked
    0 times
    I dont think I have anything rare in my vinyl collection. I have an L.P. of the soundtrack from the Batman tv series on the Staeside label, I read once that stereo copies in good nick were worth a few bob but my copy is mono and was bought in the second halnd stall in Cardiff market.

I am sure I read somewhere that Clanads first ablum might be worth something, I have that on vinyl in farily good nick so I should have a look at the Record Collectors Rare Record guide.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Howdy Lordted, as a Deep Purple junkie I also have the German Mk 1 and 2 double album on vinyl! Very rare and worth holding onto, now that the interest in vinyl has soared and led to many new releases having a limited vinyl release as well....

name='lordtednfs']I left so many back home, mainly albums, but took a few good ones with me though. I have the collection of 7 inch singles released on blue vinyl by The Police, never been played and never will be. Deep Purple's album Mk 1 & 11 which was printed and released in Germany and has been enjoyed many times over.

Hooked off the line

Senior Member Country: England Tom Bancroft's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't collect vinyl - I've just got tons of it that I never got rid of!

A large cupboard and half a wardrobe full.

Some of the 78's are quite rare - or at least they were until CD compilations saw much of the rare stuff re-issued. One that springs to mind is "Cast Iron Arm" by Peanuts Wilson, now available on CD. Also the (pre-RCA) HMV 78's by Elvis also used be valued if in good nick - but now I'm not so sure.

I also have bootleg albums of the Beatles. One from when they appeared in a Judo arena in Japan. John (or was it Paul) introduces "I Saw Her Standing There" by saying 'And this next number is called RINGO' - the crowd errupts - they can't understand a word he's saying anyway. Another album features recordings made secretly during the fab four's studio sessions - some of it is from discarded tapes which someone salvaged at the end of recording sessions.

Interesting that in later years the studio chatter became a common intentional feature on albums (Harry Nilsson being one example).

Senior Member Country: England Tom Bancroft's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Cast Iron Arm has even been posted on YouTube - it's obscurity has now been well and truly destroyed!