Liked
    0 times
    between the mid and late 70's i watched the sound of music at the plaza in fenton stoke-on-trent. accompanying that film was another one about a pit pony. i love this film but for the life of me cannot remember the title and was hoping someone could help. i remember an ending scene where the pony i think was a shetland returned to his stall and was in some kind of danger ie gas or blowin the mine etc. please help as i would love to find it and watch it again x

Liked
    0 times
    name='michellegrocot']between the mid and late 70's i watched the sound of music at the plaza in fenton stoke-on-trent. accompanying that film was another one about a pit pony. i love this film but for the life of me cannot remember the title and was hoping someone could help. i remember an ending scene where the pony i think was a shetland returned to his stall and was in some kind of danger ie gas or blowin the mine etc. please help as i would love to find it and watch it again x

Escape from the Dark? Only pit pony film I can think of. Escape from the Dark (1976)

Mal

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Sorry, nothing about the movie but I remember the cinema, my mum is a Fenton gel!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    The Sound of Music was shown on three occasions at the Plaza, Fenton, during the 1970's. Firstly, on Monday, December 29th, 1969, for two weeks, supported by adverts, trailers and Pathe Pictorial; Secondly on Tuesday, December 28th, 1971, for five days, accompanied by just the adverts and trailers and lastly on Monday, February 13th, 1978, for six days, accompanied by the adverts; trailers and two short colour cartoons entitled Riverboat Mission and The Red Tractor.

Escape From The Dark was never shown at the Plaza. However, up until August, 1974, the Plaza ran Saturday afternoon matinees for the children, usually of CFF pictures and one entitled The Great Pony Raid (1968) was shown on Saturday, January 26th, 1974. That's the nearest title I can find with a pony in it.

Liked
    0 times
    Really interested to hear whether The Plaza is still running or any information about the cinema as i am currently involved with a project to set up an Independent cinema at Wolverton Palace which is one of George Barber's early cinemas - I believe The Plaza was originally The Fenton Palace?? Is the building still there? Is it a Cinema?

Liked
    98 times
    The Plaza at Fenton was opened as one of George Barber's Picture Palaces in 1910. It was run by George Barber until 1949, when it was taken over by Arthur and Levison Myatt, as part of a chain that comprised the Alhambra, Normacot (closed 1977 and demolished 1994); the Kozy, Trent Vale (closed 1960, later demolished) and the Royal, Fenton (closed 1960 and in use as a warehouse for many years).

The Plaza at Fenton was managed by the late Benny Norcott from 1949 until his retirement in October, 1981. The Myatt brothers sold the Plaza to the Regent Leisure Group in 1974, although Benny Norcott continued to run the cinema. Regent Leisure refurbished the cinema at great cost. After Benny's retirement, it was then taken over by Tony Myhill, an ex-Rank Organisation manager from Braintree in Essex, but a combination of bad weather and bad luck put paid to Tony Myhill's dream of creating an up-market Plaza. The cinema closed on Saturday, January 9th, 1982, following a week long double bill run of the Neil Diamond version of The Jazz Singer and Kramer versus Kramer. It was the sole surviving suburban cinema in Stoke-on-Trent to go and had been a cinema for 72 years. It was shortly thereafter converted into a Riley's Snooker hall and remains as such to this day.

Liked
    98 times
    I see that Michelle Grocott asked the above question over five months ago and has never been back again to see if there was an answer to it or to thank those that have responded and Ursy hasn't been back since he or she asked their question six weeks ago, either. Why do people do things like that?

Liked
    0 times
    name='michellegrocot']between the mid and late 70's i watched the sound of music at the plaza in fenton stoke-on-trent. accompanying that film was another one about a pit pony. i love this film but for the life of me cannot remember the title and was hoping someone could help. i remember an ending scene where the pony i think was a shetland returned to his stall and was in some kind of danger ie gas or blowin the mine etc. please help as i would love to find it and watch it again x

I haven't seen this one myself but there's a 1972 film called "The Adventures of Black Beauty: The Pit Pony " directed by Charles Crichton. It's a TV episode but could it have been shown in a feature version? Could this be it?

http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/486785

Liked
    0 times
    Hi ,

Thanks for the information sorry to not have checked the board. The information is invaluable as is any other information about George Barber's cinemas in Stoke.

We are in the process of putting together a case for heritage lottery funding for our 1911 cinema. I will keep you posted - but please do excuse me if it is sporadic.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursy View Post
    Hi ,

Thanks for the information sorry to not have checked the board. The information is invaluable as is any other information about George Barber's cinemas in Stoke.

We are in the process of putting together a case for heritage lottery funding for our 1911 cinema. I will keep you posted - but please do excuse me if it is sporadic.
    Sporadic is the word. Over four years later and he still hasn't come back.