Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Cow (1967)

Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Does anyone know the name & location of this London street?

It looks a lot like Bayswater to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2090906...31736/sizes/o/

Liked
    1 times
    Here's another pic of the same street

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2090906...32008/sizes/o/

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Most of the film was shot south of the river but, on studying your shots, I have to say they could have been around the Sussex Gardens or Praed Street areas

Liked
    1 times
    Any ideas? I think it might be Bayswater, London. But I can't work it out.

Liked
    1 times
    Here's another angle

Liked
    1 times
    & another

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Have you got any that give a wider angle or a long shot that show some of the surrounding area? There are many places that those could be but we're too close to see enough of the surrounding area to place it accurately

Steve

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I'm sure you're way ahead of me here, but the Terence Stamp site has a comment saying "I meet a guy who use to live in the tenements where poor cow was filmed off the Elephant and Castle", and someone on these threads said it was filmed in Ruislip. The imdb says Fulham Broadway ... all over the shop, really.

I haven't seen it for years but it's sitting there forlornly on my shelf so maybe I'll look at it tonight, see if I recognise anything.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    In that first picture the wide pavement says Bayswater to me but the distinctive doorways facing us in the background says Kensington/South Kensington/Chelsea/Fulham. There is a red pillar box at the end of the street and a shop (post office?) so further clues there.

Liked
    1 times
    No sorry, these are the best I can do.

Definitely not Fulham. This is a district that was once grand, and Fulham never was that...until now, maybe. Though I know there were some Fulham locations in the film...the opening sequence and yes, Elephant & Castle was used as well, but that was another flat.

This was the street Joy (Carol White) lived in for a short while staying with her Aunt Em. Here she is leaving Em's flat for a day out with Dave (Terence Stamp).

Hadn't noticed the letter box...really sharp eye, Christoph!

I'm wondering what would the red and white striped awning be for? A cheap hotel?

Plus...I think it's too grotty for South Ken' in the 60s.

Seems like Bayswater is the most likely. Parts of that are still seedy. Maybe Paddington. So often I've been really surprised by these old London film locations though.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I could be talking out me backside but I think the red and white awning is a sub post-office as Christoph suggested, and the position of the post box away from the road might seem to confirm this.

I can't tell if the old dear is in a pension-day frenzy but she looks as if she might be striding with some purpose towards the local bingo hall or off-license.

Liked
    1 times

I can't tell if the old dear is in a pension-day frenzy but she looks as if she might be striding with some purpose towards the local bingo hall or off-license.
    Yes, you're adding a very important point here. If only she was alive today, we could track her down and ask her.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Is it definitely London? Does have a Brighton look about it, houses in the background are two storey bay houses, bit unusual for central London perhaps.

Liked
    1 times
    Is it definitely London? Does have a Brighton look about it, houses in the background are two storey bay houses, bit unusual for central London perhaps.

You're making a very good point, Tavistock. It's definetely meant to be London, but I agree, the bay windows aren't typical of London. The light in the top pic seems brighter than London, more seaside. How do you know they're two storey?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Are there any clips of this film, one i've not seen, with Buses in it?.........sometimes they're a pointer, though i wouldn't be surprised if many of the buildings in the pics have been demolished since filming.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    It was made in London and Wales, and the prod co is Fenchurch Films, so maybe around Fenchurch Street?[/quote]

Look! There's an ABC Cinema over the road there! Lets get hold of the experts at Cinematreasures!

My crystal ball tells me its the ABC Fulham Road at the junction of North End Road....

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Watched this film for the first time last night. Kept pausing and rewinding to see if I could spot any location clues.

Still can't see anything extra for the first picture. Later on in the film Carol White is living in a very similar looking area in a row of once grand houses called Crosby House. The sign does look genuine.

There are a couple of scenes where the two girls are drinking outside a pub and one of these is in Ormond Road, Richmond.

The seaside location is referred to as Blackpool but there isn't a lot to confirm this. Needs a Blackpoolian.

The Welsh scenes must be Wales 'cause it's green and muddy and there are loads of sheep.

Most of the film is in tight shots because in all other shots you can see everybody looking at the camera.

Should have been a better film IMHO but it is still worth a look.

Liked
    143 times
    Got the DVD working. Saw the film, recognised nothing - except the Ormond Street sign, already mentioned ... too caught up in the film, which is right.

However, have you already looked at the comments on youtube? Part 5 has the comment "F**k me, it Beasley Street." (that's Manchester, isn't it?), and part 10 says "2.35 - Winstanley Estate, Battersea".

Another comment identifies Jack Wild - part1 - 6:30.

Liked
    143 times
    And as a film, it throws up some interesting questions:

Why does the milkman put three sugars in her tea, saying "Two, isn't it?"

Why does Terence Stamp (not included on the imdb credit list!) say "You be Yogi Bear ..." while strapping a Huckleberry Hound mask on the kid's face?

I need to know.

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times

However, have you already looked at the comments on youtube? Part 5 has the comment "F**k me, it Beasley Street." (
    Beasley Street was the title and subject of John Cooper Clarke's poem and may have been mentioned as a joke here as it was very squalid and dangerous, rather like the housing estate shown in Poor Cow. But as the credits say "filmed in London and Wales" it will be in London or Wales.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast