Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Public domain

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    There is lots of stuff I would buy from the USA but anything above �18 usually gets you import duty which I hate paying just so Brown can waste it.

In fact I wont pay these days so I have to stick with stuff under the limit, no good for boxed sets ect.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I just got an email from one of the sellers I regularly use on ebay and he said that ebay told him that they are 'banning' the sale of 'public domain' films on their site. Anyone know anything about this?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']It's not really a grey area. It's an area that is covered by a lot of complicated and very confusing laws. And lawyers get rich trying to untangle it all

Steve

How very true

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Steve

That is really what I meant. Its a grey area for us mortals having regard to all the complicated legislation but a feast for the legal profession.

I must say that I have received many DVDs from USA well over the limit of �19 and I have never had to pay duty yet on a package

Rightly or wrongly I came to the conclusion that with the vast quantities of mail received into this country each day, customs probably did not have the staff to scrutinise each green customs label and therefore many items would slip through the net?? it is the only conclusion I can come to.

Liked
    151 times
    name='batman']I just got an email from one of the sellers I regularly use on ebay and he said that ebay told him that they are 'banning' the sale of 'public domain' films on their site. Anyone know anything about this?

Haven't heard of a 'ban' but it's obvious Ebay are no longer blankly accepting those 'public domain' disclaimers. I'd imagine ban = they haven't the resources to check every PD claim.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='johng']I must say that I have received many DVDs from USA well over the limit of �19 and I have never had to pay duty yet on a package

Rightly or wrongly I came to the conclusion that with the vast quantities of mail received into this country each day, customs probably did not have the staff to scrutinise each green customs label and therefore many items would slip through the net?? it is the only conclusion I can come to.

I get a lot of stuff from the States, and elsewhere. I think that of all that parcels that say on the customs declaration that they have a value of over �19, only about 1 in 5, or maybe even just 1 in 10, get the additional charge.

They also, very occasionally, open up a parcel to check the contents agree with the customs declaration. Then you have to pay for the privilege of them doing that as well

But it is all really only a minor inconvenience that only happens occasionally.

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    name='DB7']Haven't heard of a 'ban' but it's obvious Ebay are no longer blankly accepting those 'public domain' disclaimers. I'd imagine ban = they haven't the resources to check every PD claim.
    Maybe they've just banned this one seller from using the old "public domain" excuse for selling blatant bootlegs

Steve

Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']Maybe they've just banned this one seller from using the old "public domain" excuse for selling blatant bootlegs

Steve

I have checked and there are two or three of my 'regulars' who have disappeared. One of them only sold old b/w stuff that wasn't available legit but he's gone too.

Liked
    0 times
    I would treat anyone selling public domain on Ebay with caution.Certain sellers are still clearly selling where others are gone. The word GRASS'S springs to mind.

I ask why would EBAY tell a seller if the ban applied to all?

Stick to sellers you trust and keep their details because EBAY can and will remove sellers as they like.I have made a good living off it in the past and been banned for items other dealers are stil selling today..

lenny

Liked
    255 times
    name='RAREFILMFINDER']I would treat anyone selling public domain on Ebay with caution.Certain sellers are still clearly selling where others are gone. The word GRASS'S springs to mind.

I ask why would EBAY tell a seller if the ban applied to all?

Stick to sellers you trust and keep their details because EBAY can and will remove sellers as they like.I have made a good living off it in the past and been banned for items other dealers are stil selling today..

lenny

There is a lot of grassing up going on between ebay sellers. It's a cruel dog eat dog world in the land of bootlegs.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='batman']There is a lot of grassing up going on between ebay sellers. It's a cruel dog eat dog world in the land of bootlegs.

I'm sure there's a lottery funded film wating to happen about the cut-throat world of bootleg Jessie Matthews dvds. Russell Tovey could be the naive young lad just trying to make a few quid to buy his fiancee an engagement ring who doesn't realise he's muscling into Ray Winstone's turf.

Liked
    0 times
    That it is Batman. I have just started another thread on the subject of Ebay as looking ,there seems to be a lot of sellers gone.Even genuine ones I have dealt with in the past. But the copies seem to be even more expensive, which is a bad thing.

lenny

Liked
    255 times
    I have just posted on your other thread Lenny. Something is rotten in the state of ebay.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It's all very confusing. There are some 1980 TV movies that are readily available here from multiple different distributors here at cheap prices, like George C. Scott's sequel to Patton, which suggests they've somehow lapsed into the public domain.

Liked
    418 times
    name='will.15']It's all very confusing. There are some 1980 TV movies that are readily available here from multiple different distributors here at cheap prices, like George C. Scott's sequel to Patton, which suggests they've somehow lapsed into the public domain.
    Quite possibly they have - in the US of A.

There are different laws in different countries and it's made all the more complicated when you try to figure out which laws apply to a British film which has had a legitimate release in the States. But a lot of American sellers, even legitimate commercial retailers, assume that American laws automatically apply to everything sold in America, they're wrong. They also don't often actually check if something is in the public domain under American law, they just claim that it is.

It's no wonder that copyright lawyers get rich trying to sort it all out

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    It's an interesting topic, PD. As others have said, for films it is 70 years after death of creator (or last one if multiple creators - director, composer, etc.) For TV and music recordings it is 50 years after they were made (although releasing to video etc makes it a new work so back in copyright etc.).

And some things did lapse as copyrights weren't renewed - however, personally I don't see a problem if something is made available to trade/buy which is otherwise blocked from release or seen by copyright holders as of too marginal interest to make available commercially. Then again I can see ebay's view and can understand why they're clamping down on sales of works said to be 'PD'.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    Speaking of legal releases - I just noticed, while surfing the Internet tonight, that Gasbags was officially released in Sept 2008 and is available here in the USA. So, what happens to those easy-to-view online copies of the movie floating around? What happens to those?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='torinfan']Speaking of legal releases - I just noticed, while surfing the Internet tonight, that Gasbags was officially released in Sept 2008 and is available here in the USA. So, what happens to those easy-to-view online copies of the movie floating around? What happens to those?

Presumably they carry on being illegal. Just like all the torrent versions.

Liked
    71 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Presumably they carry on being illegal. Just like all the torrent versions.

CD Universe, and Classic Flix have it, which is why I mentioned it.

If a movie is reputedly pd in one nation, how does it make it into a legal release in another nation?

Liked
    71 times
    Details from Amazon:

Format: NTSC

Language: English

Region: All Regions

Studio: Televista

DVD Release Date: September 30, 2008

Run Time: 74 minutes

ASIN: B001DM3QJ6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast