Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Public domain

Liked
    0 times
    I'm new to this forum and looking for help.

I love old westerns, but fed up with the number available on DVD.

Can anyone tell me about the legalities of PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Seems like we have different laws in UK than anywhere else in the world on this subject.

CAN ANYONE HELP ?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='WesternFan']I'm new to this forum and looking for help.

I love old westerns, but fed up with the number available on DVD.

Can anyone tell me about the legalities of PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Seems like we have different laws in UK than anywhere else in the world on this subject.

CAN ANYONE HELP ?

The copyright law in the UK is the same as the rest of the EC - a film stays in copyright until 70 years after the death of the director, writer and composer. Which means it will probably be another 20 years before any films enter the public domain. See this site for more details.

Liked
    0 times
    Have found some titles on various sites which are 50 years old - is it legal to buy these in UK

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='WesternFan']Have found some titles on various sites which are 50 years old - is it legal to buy these in UK

It depends on where the films were made and first released.

A lot of sellers claim that things are public domain when they aren't

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I believe most sellers on EBAY when they say it is in the PUBLIC DOMAIN as I cannot see how EBAY would let them do anything illegal.

I also believe the company in NIGERIA who contacted me to advise me that I have won 60 MILLION POUND in a lottery ,have my best interest in mind and dont really care much either way about the PUBLIC DOMAIN as I am soon to be rich.

And as luck would have it I have also won MILLIONS in a EURO lottery which a spanish company has informed me of.

What a great way of winning when I didnt even have to enter in the first place.

I bet you all had my luck.

I am going to have a big bet on John to win STRICTLY COME DANCING as I am feeling really lucky.

lenny

Liked
    418 times
    name='RAREFILMFINDER']I believe most sellers on EBAY when they say it is in the PUBLIC DOMAIN as I cannot see how EBAY would let them do anything illegal.

I also believe the company in NIGERIA who contacted me to advise me that I have won 60 MILLION POUND in a lottery ,have my best interest in mind and dont really care much either way about the PUBLIC DOMAIN as I am soon to be rich.

And as luck would have it I have also won MILLIONS in a EURO lottery which a spanish company has informed me of.

What a great way of winning when I didnt even have to enter in the first place.

I bet you all had my luck.

I am going to have a big bet on John to win STRICTLY COME DANCING as I am feeling really lucky.

lenny

But this is for a new member to the forum who might not realise you're joking on all of the above points

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Steve

Are you trying to tell me I am not rich?

On the point of public domain there are a few mis-leading articles on it which confuse matters even more.

I have found the BFI to be the best source of finding copyright holders and they have the same view as yourself on the subject.

So for the new member, treat the public domain with caution.

lenny

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Surely it is NOT illegal to purchase such items. It is not up to me the buyer to make enquries as to whether an item is within copyright or otherwise. The onus for that rests with the seller or person making the copies.

Liked
    0 times
    name='johng']Surely it is NOT illegal to purchase such items. It is not up to me the buyer to make enquries as to whether an item is within copyright or otherwise. The onus for that rests with the seller or person making the copies.

At a rough guess I'd say that it would follow the same line as 'receiving stolen goods' ...

I've been charged with receiving stolen goods (off eBay) - Legal Banter

In past cases I've heard of, the stuff is taken from you and it's upto you to get your monies back from the seller.

Liked
    418 times
    name='rbrooks2008']At a rough guess I'd say that it would follow the same line as 'receiving stolen goods' ...

I've been charged with receiving stolen goods (off eBay) - Legal Banter

In past cases I've heard of, the stuff is taken from you and it's upto you to get your monies back from the seller.

Indeed, you would have to be able to show that you had reason to believe that the seller had the right to sell it. And if it was for a film that you knew to be rare or unavailable then that'd be difficult to prove

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']Indeed, you would have to be able to show that you had reason to believe that the seller had the right to sell it. And if it was for a film that you knew to be rare or unavailable then that'd be difficult to prove

Steve

I have received dvdr's that I purchased from the US in which the seller has included a note saying 'Thanks for letting me borrow your dvds. I am returning them as promised.'

Liked
    492 times
    There's at least one company that makes a big deal about giving away dvds that just happen to have a film on them but who charge $10 or so postage for each disc.

Liked
    418 times
    name='batman']I have received dvdr's that I purchased from the US in which the seller has included a note saying 'Thanks for letting me borrow your dvds. I am returning them as promised.'

name='CaptainWaggett']There's at least one company that makes a big deal about giving away dvds that just happen to have a film on them but who charge $10 or so postage for each disc.

They sound like two attempts to get around the law. I wonder how they'd stand up in court?

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']Indeed, you would have to be able to show that you had reason to believe that the seller had the right to sell it. And if it was for a film that you knew to be rare or unavailable then that'd be difficult to prove

Steve

But the guy said he was Dave Paramount!

Liked
    0 times
    This seems to have generated a bit of interest. Thanks to all who have replied.

Presume this means that a film first released in 1937 in USA is now in public domain.

But one released in UK in 1939 is not.

Liked
    492 times
    name='WesternFan']This seems to have generated a bit of interest. Thanks to all who have replied.

Presume this means that a film first released in 1937 in USA is now in public domain.

But one released in UK in 1939 is not.

An American film wouldn't be public domain in Britain though...

Liked
    0 times
    I was about ti reply but i think this grey area is better left unanswered

Liked
    418 times
    name='johng']I was about ti reply but i think this grey area is better left unanswered

It's not really a grey area. It's an area that is covered by a lot of complicated and very confusing laws. And lawyers get rich trying to untangle it all

Steve

Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']I have received dvdr's that I purchased from the US in which the seller has included a note saying 'Thanks for letting me borrow your dvds. I am returning them as promised.'

I think this is a way of getting round the UK customs charming habit of opening stuff we order from the USA and slapping extra tax on it.

Liked
    1 times
    Yes i believe a greetings card is also useful, as the allowance for presents is twice the allowance for purchases. �36 compared to �18 last time i looked, which was several years ago.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast