Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

I've been reading your posts about Black Narcissus and Leonardslee gardens. Someone mentioned the Rhododendrons there,.. perhaps they were the ones used when the conductor visits Peter in AMOLAD (not the ones at Langley Park as I'd hoped). The plants in the scene are big and have thick, horizontal woody stems on show and vigorous healthy flower trusses. This does not suggest plants which have been positioned in a studio, but mature plants of 20 or more years, in their original planting positions. Without trying to be too pedantic, they are the hardy hybrids typically planted in the early 1900's and so at the time of filming, would be of about that age, perhaps a little more. Backdrops do appear to be painted though, one of which seems to include a low flat roof building, so I'm confused

I guess I thought that because the Langley Rhodo's were so close to Denham/Pinewood studios, that they would have been the obvious choice.

Any more ideas anyone, Pete

Liked
    0 times
    Attempt at leaving a screen grab for above

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    For her book [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1438909454"]A Matter of Life and Death: the Brain revealed by the Mind of Michael Powell[/ame], Diane Broadbent Friedman corresponded with lots of people who would have helped Powell with his research, especially the medical aspects of the case.

That correspondence led her to Little Gaddesden in Hertfordshire. That's where we find Ashridge Business School. Like a few colleges on the outer edges of London, this one's in a big old country house. But it's also not too far away from Denham and a few similar places.

During the war it was used as an Emergency Medical Hospital and Diane has identified it as the probable location of the scenes in the rhododendrons (or the inspiration for the scenes, which were almost certainly shot in the studio). There is (and was in 1945) a garden with some very large rhododendron bushes as a major feature.

Mick Thompson, the historian at Ashridge, thinks that those scenes in the film do look very much like the gardens at Ashridge, even down to the buildings in the background.

Also, Dr. Niall MacGinnis (actor in some early P&P films) was stationed there as a senior house surgeon and he was one of the many medical people that P&P contacted when they were building up the medical case of Peter D. Carter.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I've done a search, but can't find a thread on the location of the beach and the village scenes in A matter of life and death.

Anyone?

Here's hopefully,

Kate

Liked
    418 times
    See my PaPAS site for some pictures of how they look now (or a few years ago).

Also here

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you both and apologies! I did try the old search mode but it brought every darned post!

Thank you tons!!!

Kate

Liked
    0 times
    Incidentally, trying to persuade the Kinema in the woods to show AMOLaD in May 09 as part of the RAF History weekend.

If you haven't been to the Kinema you are missing a treat!

I'll keep you posted.

K

Liked
    418 times
    Incidentally, trying to persuade the Kinema in the woods to show AMOLaD in May 09 as part of the RAF History weekend.

If you haven't been to the Kinema you are missing a treat!

I'll keep you posted.

K
    Please do. I'll promote it on my Powell & Pressburger web site and let the email group behind that site know about it.

What about also suggesting One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942)?

A good RAF connection, and much of it was filmed in and around Boston, Lincs. (portraying towns in the Netherlands) so that's got a local connection as well

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Never knew that!

Thanks Steve!

Kate

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your comprehensive and pretty well definitive explanation Steve. It will be interesting for me to visit Ashridge in the spring if possible.

Peter

Liked
    0 times
    Possibly synchronicity. I have a strong personal interest in mental health issues and was (of course) completely unaware of the detail of the subject in the film. I will definitely be purchasing the Diane Broadbent Friedman book

Liked
    418 times
    Possibly synchronicity. I have a strong personal interest in mental health issues and was (of course) completely unaware of the detail of the subject in the film. I will definitely be purchasing the Diane Broadbent Friedman book
    I'd be interested to hear what you think of it, so would Diane. She's had some interesting feedback so far

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Actually, this always looked like a studio shot to me, but I stand to be corrected.

Liked
    418 times
    Actually, this always looked like a studio shot to me, but I stand to be corrected.
    It's probably a bit of both. Middle distance shots at the location (Ashridge), close-ups of June lying on the ground and the drinks on the rocks being in the studio.

The Archers were particularly cunning and sneaky about mixing location and studio shots. They do it in a lot of their films.

If the middle distance shots aren't on location then they're quite possibly very closely modelled on a real location, like Ashridge. They did that in quite a few films as well.

Steve