Liked
    0 times
    A horror film which I saw around 1983 though it was probably from the late 70's. A couple move into a flat, which is quite old fashioned looking. From the start the woman is uneasy there, though the man is quite happy. There is a mirror in the living room and the woman starts seeing flashbacks in the mirror of how the room used to look. Then she starts hearing and seeing the previous residents. Predominantly there is a creepy man, who looks a bit like Alan Bates, who is dragging a body along the floor. The flashbacks in the mirror get more and more lengthy and frightening, and the woman is finding it increasingly difficult to get back to the present time. It turns out the previous resident murdered his wife in the bath and it is her body he has been dragging around.

That's about all I can remember, but it was really frightening.

Liked
    151 times
    Maybe the haunted mirror segment in From Beyond the Grave.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Sounds like that to me too

Member Country: England
    Liked
    9 times
    I initially thought thought that it was From Beyond the Grave but wasn't their haunted mirror story more about a guy who buys the mirror and is encouraged by it to kill people?

The original description rings a bell but it's been a long time since I saw From Beyond The Grave so it might be that one.

Liked
    80 times
    Or possibly the mirror segment from Dead of Night.

Euryale.

Liked
    151 times
    There's also the haunted door segment that closes FBtG.

Senior Member Country: England aaron's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    It might be this episode of Hammer House of Horror... Hammer House of Horror - Guardian of the Abyss (Season 1 Episode 10) You can watch the episode free, by clicking the link at the bottom of the page...

Liked
    0 times
    This is, I am sure 'In Posession' one of the Hammer Horror House Of Mystery and Suspense, series. The guy was actually looking into the future and didn't realise it until at the end he is introduced to the new tennants- a Mr And Mrs Prentice. It's available on dvd. I've got it. Everything you described fits the bill. Like me though it was a long time since you last saw it, so some of things you describe were not as they are in the film. It's the guy that see's it all first, then the woman. They get 'trapped' in the flat for some time during the night in this time warp. And the guy who murders the wife is talking to them, like he is talking to his wife. It is good-shame the acting let the story down! But don't be put off!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    It sure is IN POSSESSION. I think I've already answered a question on this one at some point, but I'm always glad to talk about this episode of HHOMAS and how great it is. As a youngster, I too used to confuse it with the 'blue room' sequence from FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE- possibly because they were both shown so often back then on Central!!

Obviously I'm not the only one affected by it, because more 'name that film' questions have been asked about both this and its fellow Mystery And Suspense episode BLACK CARRION than any other on the British Horror Films website. I don't post on that site very often these days, so it's good to see that such curiosity has continued over here.

Without both these episodes, I doubt whether or not I would have chosen the profession of a writer- curse you for making me this way, Val Guest and John Hough!! Seeing it again on DVD (well, "overpriced DVDR from DD Entertainment copied straight from the Brent Walker tapes" is nearer the truth), it's not QUITE as terrifying as I remember it- for a start, Bernard Kay looks almost respectably human, wheras I remembered him as much more demonic and "murderer-like"- but it still packs a punch. And of course, as a thirtysomething, I can now appreciate Carol Lynley in a way I never did back then. Check out the superb THRILLER episode IF IT'S A MAN, HANG UP for further proof...

I have since found out, of course, that the plot was lifted entirely from Michael Armstrong's DREAM HOUSE, which in itself seems to have been lifted from something else made in the 60s, but that's hardly a sacking offence. Kids who think they like horror today because they've seen ZOMBIE SPLATTERCUNT, or whatever the latest Hi-Def nonsense is this week, could do worse than being exposed to this- it worked for me.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Vixsta33']This is, I am sure 'In Posession' one of the Hammer Horror House Of Mystery and Suspense, series. The guy was actually looking into the future and didn't realise it until at the end he is introduced to the new tennants- a Mr And Mrs Prentice. It's available on dvd. I've got it. Everything you described fits the bill. Like me though it was a long time since you last saw it, so some of things you describe were not as they are in the film. It's the guy that see's it all first, then the woman. They get 'trapped' in the flat for some time during the night in this time warp. And the guy who murders the wife is talking to them, like he is talking to his wife. It is good-shame the acting let the story down! But don't be put off!

Brilliant, thank you soooo much! It's been bugging me for years what the film was called. Obviously it'd got a bit muddled up in my memory but your description I am sure has hit the nail on the head. Especially the name Mr and Mrs Prentice.

Liked
    0 times
    No problem my love! Glad I could help! I'm a sad fan of 70's and 80's Brit horrors. I first saw this on tv when I was about 14 with my sister and brother-in-law and it creeped me out! I always remembered the name because when I went to bed for about a week after, my sister would stand out side the bedroom door and say in a creepy voice 'Mr and Mrs Prentice'! Honestly, the long winter evening just flew by in the 80's! Lol!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    What great taste :) 'In Possession' is so Brilliantly creepy & Carol Lynley plays horrified wonderfully !

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    as previously mentioned Carol Lynley is not only brill in the In Possession episode but also the Cult fav The Shuttered Room alongside Ollie Reed & the Thriller episode 'If its a man hang up'!