Liked
    0 times
    I used to have this on tape but it snapped. It is an excellent interview with Orson Welles which is shown almost completely unedited, complete with film running out of the camera. It dates (I think) from about 1982 and sections of it have been plundered many times to provide information for documentaries, DVD extras etc.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone out there have a copy?

Thanks

Liked
    0 times
    I would have thought the tape would be repairable somewhere surely ? ? ?

loved the parky interveiw "forget the questions lets just talk "

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello

I have this, please PM.

Thanks!

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks to everyone for responding. I have organized a swap, but thatks for your time and it's good to know there are people of taste out there.

Liked
    4 times
    There's a great story he tells in that programme about when he was in a restaurant ; a waiter (or someone) asked him what films he'd directed, and he quietly and politely replied. However, a few days later, a newspaper had him sitting alone and suddenly announcing to fellow diners, completely without warning and in a booming voice, "My name is Orson Welles and I directed Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons..." etc etc. !!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TomDaws
    There's a great story he tells in that programme about when he was in a restaurant ; a waiter (or someone) asked him what films he'd directed, and he quietly and politely replied. However, a few days later, a newspaper had him sitting alone and suddenly announcing to fellow diners, completely without warning and in a booming voice, "My name is Orson Welles and I directed Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons..." etc etc. !!
    Typically accurate newspaper reporting

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Here's a funny story. Arena, as you all know, was produced by Alan Yentob and that epic interview with Welles by Leslie Megahey, under the Arena banner, was quite outstanding. In 1983, I had the greatest good fortune to look after Mr Welles when he visited London for a week. I put him up at the Savoy where he had specifically requested 'John Wayne's bed,' the only one big enough apparently. So I went to see him in this riverview suite and there, sitting at his feet, was Yentob. 'Have you met my pimp?' said Welles in that velvetty voice.

Liked
    0 times
    The interview described above sounds like what I saw in a documentary. It was a joint effort of the BBC and Ted Turner called Orson Welles: Memories of a Life in Film. Dpes anyone know if its the same thing as the Arena interview? It had interview excerpts in between a narrator telling the history of Orson's career, together with films clips and comments by people who knew him. I still have the vhs recording I made when it aired in the USA in 1983. I played the tape after reading this thread and it's beginning to look a little ragged. Is it really 25 years old?! It is a wonderful documentary, respectful, objective, and filled with fascinating details about Orson. It hasn't been released to home video in the USA to my knowledge nor has it aired in a long, long time. Is it available in any way shape or form in the U.K.?

Richard

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I think it was the Arena programme where Welles was talking about making

The Stranger with Edward G Robinson. He reckoned Robinson used to

complain about not being photographed on his good side!

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, that's the one we saw here in the USA as part of the documentary. Orson said he had intended for Agnes Moorehead to play Edward G. Robinson's part, but the studio insisted on Robinson.

I gather the Arena interview was the source for the documentary, and that it's longer than the excerpts in the documentary. So, I need to get the Arena interview. My PC doesn't do well on downloads, so perhaps I can get the interview on a DVD-R from some kind person here?

Richard

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I read somewhere that 1960's interviews are being re-transmitted soon. Bernard Braden as the interviewer. I think it is BBC4 but stand to be corrected.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    I have this with a few bonus items added.

Drop me a PM if you need a copy...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W
    Yes, that's the one we saw here in the USA as part of the documentary. Orson said he had intended for Agnes Moorehead to play Edward G. Robinson's part, but the studio insisted on Robinson.

I gather the Arena interview was the source for the documentary, and that it's longer than the excerpts in the documentary. So, I need to get the Arena interview. My PC doesn't do well on downloads, so perhaps I can get the interview on a DVD-R from some kind person here?

Richard

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    I only got Part 2, both parts were recently shown on BBC4. Does anyone have both recorded onto DVD?

Liked
    107 times
    Brief Encounter,

I can help you out here.

Drop me a PM.

The Arena profile was fabulous and a fitting tribute to all that was great about Welles.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward G
    Brief Encounter,

I can help you out here.

Drop me a PM.

The Arena profile was fabulous and a fitting tribute to all that was great about Welles.
    And all that was ambiguous too! His final statement about not watching other films because your own vision becomes corrupted doesn't sit well with his having watched Stagecoach 37 times in order to learn how to make movies.

Liked
    107 times
    Very true!

I often ponder this idea from Welles and his earnest insistence that "Films should be made innocently - like Adam and Eve in the garden". I like the sentiment, but then Adam and Eve didn't stay innocent too long, so maybe they weren't the best example! He also said "destroy all biographies" to maintain an original approach and that he didn't understand young directors when they told him that they had "learned a lot from his work".

On reflection I think it's part of his natural modesty and what he really meant was to forge your own path rather than follow the examples of others too slavishly.

He had his contradictions and that's part of his appeal, but his revolutionary work in theatre, radio and cinema mean he will always be regarded as a giant -and please don't come back with any jokes about his girth!

Quote Originally Posted by thatllbetheday
    And all that was ambiguous too! His final statement about not watching other films because your own vision becomes corrupted doesn't sit well with his having watched Stagecoach 37 times in order to learn how to make movies.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    The Best Programme on Television this Christmas.

Does anyone have any of his Interviews?. Parkinson, etc.

Liked
    107 times
    Couldn't agree more!.

Whet's the appetite to revisit "The Third Man", "Citizen Kane", "Lady From Shanghai" and "Touch of Evil" etc.

Drop me a PM - I can help out on the interviews.....

Quote Originally Posted by silverscreenmovies
    The Best Programme on Television this Christmas.

Does anyone have any of his Interviews?. Parkinson, etc.