Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Don't think this news is about in a thread, but Martin Clunes is tackling the Reggie Perrin role in a remake from the BBC of the classic 70's sitcom which originally starred Leonard Rossiter.

I think it's due a Christmas airing this year (but don't hold me to that) and I remember seeing Clunes on Paul O'Grady's show last month talking about it.

What are people's views? I, personally, don't want it to happen. I think as a sitcom it holds up pretty well anyway, and the whole rat-race thing is certainly still an issue, but Rossiter's performance, and of those around him, are brilliant.

I'm not going to knock it JUST yet.... but I do think its unnecessary

Liked
    151 times
    I take it this is just a one-off for Christmas?

On the subject of Rossiter, apparently a biopic is in the pipeline with Robert Carlyle in the lead role.

Liked
    150 times
    I'm afraid that for me Leonard Rossiter is, and always will be, Reggie Perrin and vice versa and I would much rather watch the originals again than see somebody else playing him - and I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone in saying that.

I know that I keep saying it on here, but you can't improve on perfection.

It seems that, if the BBC aren't constantly repeating current programmes, they are committed to remaking ones that were, in all probability, only popular originally because of the wonderful cast in them at the time.

DS x.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    name='Dame Starry']I'm afraid that for me Leonard Rossiter is, and always will be, Reggie Perrin and vice versa and I would much rather watch the originals again than see somebody else playing him - and I'm sure that I wouldn't be alone in saying that.

I know that I keep saying it on here, but you can't improve on perfection.

It seems that, if the BBC aren't constantly repeating current programmes, they are committed to remaking ones that were, in all probability, only popular originally because of the wonderful cast in them at the time.

DS x.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I won't be touching this.

Perrin was the finest sitcom ever. NO way can it be better. Especially with that clown Clunes.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    On the subject of Rossiter, apparently a biopic is in the pipeline

Why ??? Away from his acting, he wasn't a particularly interesting or remarkable man.

Or is the idea that TV viewers all want to find out about "the sex secrets of the stars" ?

YAWN

Liked
    4 times
    Re-making R. Perrin is an absurd idea. Although I suppose there's scope for adding some bad language.

Liked
    2 times
    No idea if it's a one-off, I think it was more muted as a series...

Never really found Clunes' acting appealing in anything else either really, so it's a complete none starter for me anyway

Liked
    0 times
    No, no, no - a thousand times, no!

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='oxfam1uk']Why ??? Away from his acting, he wasn't a particularly interesting or remarkable man.

Or is the idea that TV viewers all want to find out about "the sex secrets of the stars" ?

YAWN
    agreed

It is true 'one man's wine is another's poison. I did not like Rising Damp as it told the same joke every episode so I avoided Perrin series.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    It was a great show - but they should just repeat it.

They say they are paying 'homage' - but what has tended to happen in recent years is that remake becomes what younger generations think of first from then on - and they hardly ever work as well as the original.

They should just repeat it and stop patronising younger audiences.

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    The Original and Best Reggie Perrin

"Twenty-two minutes late, escaped puma, Chessington North."

"Twenty-two minutes late, badger ate a junction box at New Malden."

C.J. tells Reggie of his optimism for the project: "This is going to be a real winner."

"I didn't get where I am today without knowing a real winner when I see one."

Doc Morrissey quickly puts away his collection of erotic magazines …

Doc: Come In. Ah, Reg. Do sit down.

Reggie: Hello, Doc.

Doc: Has that secretary of yours … got any more chest trouble?

Reggie: No.

Doc: Oh, pity.

Doc: You could always open a window so she sits in a draft …

Reggie: Yes, yes. No, I've been feeling rather odd, Doc. My legs are heavy, I keep shivering. Don't exactly feel ill though

Doc: Do you find you can't concentrate?

Reggie: (Mind has wandered). Sorry, what?

Doc: Can't concentrate? Having headaches at all? (He puts a thermometer in Reggie's mouth).

Reggie: (Takes thermometer out to reply). Yes, I ...

Doc: Don't take the thermometer out of your mouth. (Reggie replaces it). Been sleeping well?

Reggie: (Mumbling with thermometer in mouth) No, I...

Doc: Where are we going for our holidays this year? (Reggie mimes with arms outspread and roar-trumpets something incoherent … but indicating something very large indeed).

Elephant hunting?! (Doc removes the thermometer from Reggie's mouth).

Reggie: No, Wales.

Doc: Could you just stand up and open your shirt? (Reggie does so, and Doc puts his stethoscope on his chest). Had any dreams about naked sportswomen?

Reggie: As a matter of fact I have. Only last night, I dreamed I was watching the Wightman Cup at Wimbledon. Everyone was naked. Even the line judges.

Doc: Who won?

Reggie: To be honest I didn't much bother with the scores. I think it was the ones with the very big, er, first serves.

Doc: I say, your ticker's racing like the clappers. Not surprising, really. (Doc sits down). Do you find you can't finish the crossword like you used to, nasty taste in the mouth in the mornings, can't stop thinking about sex, can't start doing anything about sex, wake up with a sweat in the mornings, keep falling asleep during 'Play For Today'?

Reggie: That's extraordinary, Doc! That's exactly how I've been feeling.

Doc: So have I. I wonder what it is ..?

I didn’t get where I am today without knowing a re-make when I see one!

“I avoid clich�s like the plague!”

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Yet another remake - oh gawd.

Are television executives simply not bothering to bring any new ideas to fruition?

Liked
    151 times
    name='oxfam1uk']Why ??? Away from his acting, he wasn't a particularly interesting or remarkable man.

YAWN

There is a touch of the Rigsby about him. He mentions the biopic here:

Kirsty Scott meets Robert Carlyle before the release of his new film, Summer | Film | The Guardian

He's been luckier with another of his projects. A chance remark in a previous interview that he has always wanted to play Leonard Rossiter has led to an approach by a film company considering a biopic of the late comedian. "I love comedy, and he's a fucking genius. I would love to play him. And, would you believe, I get an email from a guy in London saying they were starting to make a biopic of Leonard Rossiter, so I'm going to see the treatment."

Liked
    1 times
    Worst idea since Merton tried remakes of Hancock

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    6 times
    name='SirOllyBolly']Worst idea since Merton tried remakes of Hancock

Agreed; SirOlly, but even worse was the two geordie buffoons attempt at The Likely Lads classic `No Hiding Place` that was pure sacrilege.

Liked
    0 times
    Let's get this in perspective. I had read the novel "The Death of Reginald Perrin" long before the later re-titled sit-com (and book). I can't tell you how disappointed I was with the TV adaptation.

All the really important and emotive stuff had been removed for the sake of an out and out comedy. The same can be said of all three original series.

I constantly re-read the novels because time and time again they speak to me as a human being.

If the re-make can include some of David Nobbs' original ideas then it will be worthwhile. Trust me.

I just wonder if the programme makers have the nerve to move away from the notion of pure comedy. I know that so many have such high regard for the TV series.

Liked
    0 times
    (Re: Merton/Hancock shows)

Oh my gawd yes, they were truly awful.

Liked
    2 times
    name='Dandelion'](Re: Merton/Hancock shows)

Oh my gawd yes, they were truly awful.

Those series were good for bringing to light a lot of the forgotten/deleted Galton and Simpson "Comedy Playhouse" half-hours, but yes, Hancock should have been left alone

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Trevor Eve did a fantastic Hughie Greene. I'd like to see Carlyle have a go at Rossiter.

Agree with Tony Pendrey (above). I read "The Death of Reginal Perrin" to death years ago (Wish I could find it now, eighty quid on Amazon) and the last thing I thought it would be was a sitcom - particularly with Leonard Rossiter taking the lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast