Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I'm considering seeing this at THe Museum Of Modern Art. Anyone familiar with it ? Any comments ?

Senior Member Country: New Zealand
    Liked
    0 times
    name='billy bentley']I'm considering seeing this at THe Museum Of Modern Art. Anyone familiar with it ? Any comments ?
    IMDB.com has some positive User Comments on this film which are worth having a look at. Overall rating is 8.5/10.

BrianL

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    After about twenty years of waiting, I finally saw this in Bologna this summer. It's stunning. One of the greatest performances by the legendary Emil Jannings, one of the greatest final sequences in cinema history, made by the man synonymous with great silent film directing - Josef Von Sternberg. You're considering going to MOMA to see it?? I'd consider crossing the Atlantic to see it again.....which night is it??

See what you can of the silent Sternbergs - Docks of New York?? The most gorgeously photographed film I've ever seen. Underworld?? The granddaddy of all the gangster films you've ever seen - and still one of the best.....these last two star the fantastic George Bancroft, a silent actor otherwise nearly forgotten, but who acts like he belongs in these films - imagine a Jaws-era Robert Shaw, but wearing even more drunken fights in his face. Utterly magnetic. Go. Go again. See what they could really achieve back then before dialogue films killed an art form....

Children of Divorce is ok, it wasn't a Sternberg film as such, it was somebody else's he rescued at the last second - and it shows...he's going through the motions. It has the marquee names, but the other films mentioned above are the real deal...as is his apprentice piece, The Salvation Hunters.

One day, these will all be out on Criterion, but see them on the big screen, as they were designed. Who's playing, Donald Sosin??? He's great ...say hi...

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Penfold, It's on Sunday at 4PM, so you'd better rush to the airport ! I shall now definitely go. Must confess that I recently missed out on "The Docks of New York", but you can't see 'em all, at least not in the same week. Thanks for your enthusiasm