Thread: The Scamp

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember watching this film when I was a child and it obviously made some impression on me. Details (as always when posing this sort of recollection) are sketchy.

Film concerns a young boy with an abusive father.

Boy is taken in by kindly doctor and I remember the boys astonishment that he had to have a wash in the morning as he had had a bath the night before and couldn't have got dirty lying in bed (seemed logical to me as a child).

Boy has a pet dog which he has to leave with the father.

The boy is taken back to his father's house by the Doctor to get his dog and they find the father "digging the garden" and no sign of the dog, the boy is understandable distressed.

Just think, the cast and crew spend many many man days putting together a film and that is all that I can remember. Still I can remember some of it which I suppose is some form of tribute

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The Scamp has Richard Attenborough adopt a rather annoying small boy whose father is Terence Morgan. I don't remember any of the details you mention but I haven't seen it for years.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']The Scamp has Richard Attenborough adopt a rather annoying small boy whose father is Terence Morgan. I don't remember any of the details you mention but I haven't seen it for years.

I remember Dickie as a teacher in The Scamp but otherwise it seems to fit the OP's description.

Liked
    80 times
    name='Fellwanderer']I remember Dickie as a teacher in The Scamp but otherwise it seems to fit the OP's description.

But Attenborough's wife is a doctor in it, played by Dorothy Alison.

Euryale.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='Euryale']But Attenborough's wife is a doctor in it, played by Dorothy Alison.

Euryale.

Odd - when I originally typed my post I'd put Dickie or his onscreen wife was a doctor and then remembered he'd been a teacher and thought I must have imagined the involvement of the medical profession.

Thanks for showing my old memory wasn't completely at fault.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    I watched this film for the first time yesterday and was quite impressed, it didn't shy away from things that would have been 'swept under the carpet' like the little lad bashing his Dad on the back of a head with an ashtray to try and save his stepmother from the abuse she was recieving and the sounds of the dog's yelps as the horrible dad drowned the lad's beloved dog.

One actress in it i was not familiar with before is Margaretta Scott, playing the part of a stern unsympathetic (towards the lad) friend of the characters of June Alison and Dickie, looked her up out of interest and she has had quite a long career.......

http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=19897

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Mark O']

One actress in it i was not familiar with before is Margaretta Scott, playing the part of a stern unsympathetic (towards the lad) friend of the characters of June Alison and Dickie, looked her up out of interest and she has had quite a long career.......

Mrs Pumphrey!

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Aka Tricky Woo's mum!