Thread: Australia

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Real epic, historical/love story starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. Rather over long at more than two and a half hours, should have been half an hour shorter. Great to look at and a strong story set in the late 1930's. Good performances all round, but the real scene stealer is the young Aborigine child who gives an outstanding performance.

Well worth seeing, but not to everybody's taste.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    It looks great to me, glad someone is trying to recreate the epic ala 'Gone With the Wind'.

Liked
    137 times
    Looking forward to seeing this over the Xmas hols.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Brief Encounter']It looks great to me, glad someone is trying to recreate the epic ala 'Gone With the Wind'.

Many critics over here have said that the film is too long and certainly not a classic.

Australian tourism is hoping to gain from the films worldwide release.

Dave.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    Well here's one little antipodean who won't be going to see it ..... almost 3 hours of our Nicole?

Not bl00dy likely!

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm going to see it, I think it is worth a look.

I like Hugh Jackman, he always puts a lot of effort in - gives it his all.

I'll agree re Nicole Kidman.

This has got to be a spoof right?

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bU9A-kpiTfM]YouTube - Nicole Kidman Chanel Ad[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    I am considering going to see this. Some very mixed reviews - but none of them completely awful. One of the worst I read: 'One wonders if there are any tablecloth cliches about Australia that haven't been missed' (theage.com.) Mostly, it seems that it is quite an 'experience' to see it on a cinema screen and worth a look, though.

Liked
    0 times
    It was quite a reasonable film although way too long.The CGI on the Air Raid on Port Darwin was a bit iffy.It is really 3 stories cobbled together.Some papers gave it 5 stars others 1 star.I would say somewhere in between.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I enjoyed it especially the first 20 minutes which was very Baz-like - lots of short staccato scenes to get the plot going. But it flagged by the end and I got the impression he didn't have quite enough money to do what he wanted in the bombing of Darwin sequence. Brandon Walters was fantastic as the Aborigine boy-hero was fantastic though.

Liked
    0 times
    This is a bit of a rant - but I need to!Sorry..

I bought 'Australia' because I had it in my head that it would be some grand, scenery filled epic about the birth of the country and, perhaps, taking us through the defining developments along the way - which would be a fantastic idea..I'd love to see that. Some of my favourite films and TV have come out of that part of the world and, despite some worrying reviews, thought..in any case I can gorge on beautiful scenery and learn some more. Partly my fault, I had decided what it was going to be and should have read the back of the box. It isn't that at all. But, I think it was a dupe..if they had called it something to suggest the fact it is just a minor love story set between 39 - 45 that just happens to be in the outback and called it, I don't know 'The Outback affair' or something, no one but the most die hard Hugh Jackman fan would have gone to see it. But it cost me �12.99! Apparantly, it was the highest grossing Australian film ever - so, I reckon a fair few trundled along thinking the same as me..

Directed by Baz Lurhmann who directed Moulin Rouge. I really didn't that enjoy either and in both cases I felt there was a really interesting idea that was being peed up the wall by wacky techniques, eye wateringly poor acting and just..I don't know how else to put it..but..we were actually speechless..

Ok, I'll try and pin it down.

The style is completely inappropriate - it looks to me as though he wanted to make a film similar to the one I described in my fantasy, but thought..this modern audience won't have the attention span - I'll jazz it up with some crazy 'George of the jungle' zany camerawork. But there were some meaty and delicate issues here (delicate enough for them to issue a warning at the beginning of the film for anyone of Aboriginal origin) Why did he think that zippy camerawork and a wacky 'Hellzapoppin' heightened reality approach to acting would work well with that?

There was one point when Nicole Kidman was asleep and she was still overacting.

In the first twenty minutes they covered every possible stereotype about Australians, British people, the Aboriginal community, men, women, kangaroos.. and even managed to introduce a few I hadn't been aware of, just in case anyone was short on ideas for a bit of prejudice. What on earth for?

I was hoping it might be an attempt to prick our subconcious, do we really think this..? But, actually, I think it was just crass..

Now, I haven't seen all of it and I may give it another blast to see if it improves, but I seriously doubt it. I have never seen such poor, messy and downright bizarre choices by a director of such a major film. Oh wait - I have..worse, actually..it has the feel of 'Around the world in eighty days' with Steve Coogan. Just, pure God awful choices and not a clue how to put a film like this together.

I think I would have loved to have seen David Lean direct this..anyone but Baz Lurhmann. There is still a film that I would like to see..a great opportunity missed...

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Was Fosters and Castlemaine 4X Lager availavle in rural Australia pre-World War II?

I recall seeing TV drama in the 80's about a young woman travelling in rural Australia for a reason I can't recall, at the hick-style Hotel she lodged at she wasn't allowed into the Bar being female, plus for Breakfast it was Steak and Eggs with no alternative but she didn't want the Steak and the Landlady insisted she did and served it to her on the plate and she promptly removed it and ate just the Eggs......

Liked
    0 times
    God I'm sorry about that rant. I had terrible pmt. Still true tho!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='MB']God I'm sorry about that rant. I had terrible pmt. Still true tho!

Hope you're feeling better MB, not too sure if i want to see this Film or not but i like 'stunning scenery' films, I guess I can wait until it turns up on Sky and watch it in installments as I usually do with long films, I've not seen any film with Hugh Jackman in yet..........he seems pretty 'hot' though from the pics i've seen of him, i'm sure he's many a young girl's hearthrob

Liked
    0 times
    I used to go out with the living embodiment of Hugh Jackman (sighs) I was 17 at the time and I gave him away to a blond girl because I had no self confidence, sighs..he did chase after me, mind you.

Anyway, it wasn't Hugh Jackman - but I do think he is extremely pliable and expressive and really could do with being stretched in something a little less mainstream.

Baz Lurhman also directed 'Strictly Ballroom' which is one of my favourites - perfectly suited to his style - but this, no, it really didn't work (I think I made myself clear on that one..ahem..)

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you Mark.

I checked and I really wouldn't know where to point you in the direction of a Hugh Jackman film that is tip top - yet!

Hugh Jackman

Looking down the list - if you enjoy romantic comedy with a historical twist then 'Kate and Leopold' is watchable and slightly off the wall.

He really needs a new advisor - female, 37, based in UK.