Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    It's hard to describe how powerful "A Taste of Honey" was for a teen in Evanston, Illinois in the 60's. A glimpse of poverty, abuse, and racism, and the overpowering message of the power of friendship and hope. It showed a world that was flawed, but resilient, and Rita Tushingham was amazing. Did it have such impact in Britain when it was released?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    It had an impact as being part of the British Sink series of films. It is an important piece if only for showing a landscape of Britain that is no longer. Have you seen Saturday Night & Sunday Morning & A Kind of Loving?? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on them.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    I would also offer "This Sporting Life" too

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    It was hailed for it's art, that is the film was well made and in a then popular style, L-Shaped Room, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, Poor Cow, The Knack, Georgy Girl, Look Back in Anger being others made in the decade. All hard gritty black and white kitchen sink type dramas echoing working class life and style of the time. English contemporaries of the plays by Arthur Miller and his two fellow travellers in the USA. Taste of Honey (and Georgy Girl) possibly achieved equal fame and pots of money through its theme tunes.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    And Poor Cow and Cathy Come Home and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and quite a few others. They were a series of "social realism" films that let us know how other people really lived, and what we could do about it

Steve

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I love kitchen sink drama but couldn`t get away with `a kind of loving`. I don`t know what it is about it but its not one I would rush out and buy on DVD

xx

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo
    It was hailed for it's art, that is the film was well made and in a then popular style, L-Shaped Room, Saturday Night Sunday Morning, Poor Cow, The Knack, Georgy Girl, Look Back in Anger being others made in the decade. All hard gritty black and white kitchen sink type dramas echoing working class life and style of the time. English contemporaries of the plays by Arthur Miller and his two fellow travellers in the USA. Taste of Honey (and Georgy Girl) possibly achieved equal fame and pots of money through its theme tunes.
    No pot of money generated for the theme from A Taste Of Honey, only from Georgie Girl.

Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Santonix
    No pot of money generated for the theme from A Taste Of Honey, only from Georgie Girl.
    Sorry to challenge that statement but what is the source of your assertion or did they foul up with the performing rights registration? In the early 60's that piece was constantly played I have just done a recorded music search for the tune and got fed up after 441 entries of the tune on it's own and in complilations. There was a famous trumpert version Bert kamfaert. No accounts with the income from the copyright so I can only ask are you absolutely sure?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry to challenge that statement but what is the source of your assertion or did they foul up with the performing rights registration? In the early 60's that piece was constantly played I have just done a recorded music search for the tune and got fed up after 441 entries of the tune on it's own and in complilations. There was a famous trumpert version Bert kamfaert. No accounts with the income from the copyright so I can only ask are you absolutely sure?

The Beatles also recorded the vocal version of a 'Taste of Honey' on their first album 'Please, Please Me' which sold bucket loads.

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    These films, while great nostalgia trips, always remind me of shared bedrooms with two siblings, steel window frames and frost on the glass in winter, and freezing lino. Cold, cold, cold!

Regards,

HG

Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by homeguard
    These films, while great nostalgia trips, always remind me of shared bedrooms with two siblings, steel window frames and frost on the glass in winter, and freezing lino. Cold, cold, cold!

Regards,

HG
    That's very nostalgic HG. I used to wear a thick woolly jumper upto my dnose not so much angry as cold young man.

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    That's very nostalgic HG. I used to wear a thick woolly jumper upto my dnose not so much angry as cold young man.
    And a coat on the bed! Makes you wonder why we moan about today.

Anybody else brought up in a house with gas mantles (which you touched at your peril) and an outside toilet with wooden bench seat?

Poor Cow my butt.

regards,

HG

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    the popular song 'A Taste of Honey' does not appear in the film, and bears no relation to it ........

Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster
    the popular song 'A Taste of Honey' does not appear in the film, and bears no relation to it ........
    Exactly!

IIRC, the film opens with "The Big Ship Sails On The Ally - Ally - Oh".

DS x.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Sorry Bernado, but you are wrong. The song you are thinking of had nothing to do with the film you were talking about.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='julian_craster']the popular song 'A Taste of Honey' does not appear in the film, and bears no relation to it ........

Indeed. In fact the film predates the song?

Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman

Indeed. In fact the film predates the song?
    The song A Taste Of Honey was written in 1960 and it may have been inspired by the 1958 stage play.

A Taste Of Honey was filmed in 1961 so, in actual fact, while the song was written after the stage play, it does pre-date the film, although it didn't feature in it.

DS x.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    "Songwriters Bobby Scott and Ric Marlow wrote this as the theme to a play by Shelagh Delaney that was made into a movie in 1961. This instrumental version was recorded by piano player Martin Denny and won a Grammy for Best Instrumental Theme. The play is about a young white woman who gets pregnant after a one night stand with a black sailor. Her best friend, who is a gay man, agrees to help raise the child. Marlow added lyrics so Tony Bennett could sing it."

From songfacts.com

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Yep, the song "A Taste Of Honey" was a giant hit for Herb Alpert and a minor item for The Beatles in America, but without a connection to the movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast