Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, I'll start the ball rolling.... the bit where Miss Shore comes face to face(less) with the creepy 'Black Nun' in Armchair Thriller

I was seven when I first saw this and didn't sleep for ages after !

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    The "Twilight Zone" episode with the hitchhiker scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

"I believe you're going my way."

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Not a TV moment, but a radio moment...

A play about airmen in WWII who had to bail out over occupied France and were being hidden in the hay loft in a barn. Then the Germans came into the ground floor of the barn and started shooting up into the ceiling. The airmen are hit. They manage to avoid crying out, but then the blood starts to drip

It haunts me still

Steve

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    The first time I saw and heard the Darleks and also the evil witch on the Wizard of Oz. In fact, even scarier than that the witch when she was supposed to be a normal woman when she pinched Toto!

xx

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='faginsgirl']The evil witch on the Wizard of Oz. In fact, even scarier than that the witch when she was supposed to be a normal woman when she pinched Toto!

xx

Well she did have "a note from the sheriff." LOL

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Seeing the film, Chase a Crooked Shadow on TV in the 60s. I can't remember what exactly but there were a number of very scary moments which really made you jump.

Brenda de Banzie in a Man Who Knew Too Much was similarly full of scares!

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Rachel in Danger from "Armchair Thriller". Stephen Greif stalks my dreams still.

Also the soldier whistling "Pack up your troubles" in a deserted railway station in "Sapphire and Steel".

The cybermen didn't do a lot for my ability to hold water either.

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Never did know the name of the TV programme, but it gave me nightmares for years - even now I can feel the hairs on the neck stand up.

A mother is smiling and singing softly to her little boy who is in bed,

"Sing me the song that I once longed to hear,

Long, long ago. Long, long ago".

I think she was a ghost. That's all. You wouldn't believe that could still haunt me the way it does!!!

Regards,

HG

Liked
    2 times
    [ame="http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb00H6mCTM8"]http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb00H6mCTM8[/ame]

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Anything involving a dalek.

Although, as I have mentioned before: I used to find Oliver Reed a bit disturbing after being taken to see Oliver as a wee girl.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    post deleted

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I was a nervy kid and all the aforementioned stuff feaked me out. I even found some TV puppets a bit too much. Pinky and Perky with their psychotic stares was particularly hard to take.

As for "Wizard of Oz" !! That is a really dark film. I was taken to see it one Chrismas as a "treat". I came out almost catatonic with fear.

I have always reckoned it was made by people who had been kicked out of Disney studios for doing too many drugs. Even the "cute" stuff was odd. I used to make me mum look in the wardrobe to make sure there wasn't any Munchkins hiding.

No, "Oz" is a film for kids made by David Lynch.

And finally, did anyone actually turn off the telly when the announcer said those immortal words, "The following programme may not be suitable for people of a nervous disposition".

Liked
    0 times
    name='intervision']Ok, I'll start the ball rolling.... the bit where Miss Shore comes face to face(less) with the creepy 'Black Nun' in Armchair Thriller

I was seven when I first saw this and didn't sleep for ages after !

As Quiet As A Nun was the first thing I thought when I saw this thread. For some reason I had come home from school early and my mum was watching this interesting drama. As an 8 year old I had never seen anything so scary. I have always remembered that one scene in the attic. Up until a week ago I had completely forgotton what the drama was called and sometimes even wondered if I just imagined it.

I am about to buy the DVD to get spooked all over again.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm another that was chilled by Amchair Thriller and I was around about 12 years old at the time. The episode was "The Dying Day" and it was the moment when a hand knocked on the window of the train and a face appeared with glasses and blood running out the eyes. Oh dear that wasn't nice.

I was also traumatised by the solemn pace of Crown Court and the theme tune; I remember it was on in the afternoons before I was old enough to go to school or during terms. My mum would be in the kitchen and i'd be left alone with an episode that seemed to last an eternity and everyone in the program was so serious, it was terrible anxiety for one that at the time preferred Inigo Pipkins.

Just before My sisters went to Ballet I remember seeing a program called "The Changes" the theme tune was terrifying and in the program itself there was the some scary sound effects and close ups of electricity Pylons. Reminds me also of the Play Safe - Public Information films when the kid is flying his kite near to the high powered cables...

Most scary Dr who episode was coming face to face with Davros in "Genesis of the Daleks".

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    The first time I saw Psycho didn't do my younger nerves much good, but the one that really stayed with me for many. many years after a late night horror bill was THE NIGHT WALKER, an old Barbara Stanwyck vehicle - that really frightened the bejabers out of me at a very early age.

I too recall being somewhat chilled to the bone by the creepy credits to ARMCHAIR THRILLER and even now if I ring up an old schoolmate and whistle the theme tune down the 'phone, that alone is enough to freak him out!

Smudge

Liked
    0 times
    Not so much scared as fascinated by the creatures in the original Outer Limits. The series was shown in mono, but I collected the chewing gum cards which showed them in colour.

Having watched the series again recently, the memories come flooding back but they no longer fascinate.

Liked
    0 times
    I used to love sci-fi films when I was a kid. I was allowed once to stay up late to watch "Quatermass 2". The whole dark tone of that film really got to me.

And letting a 10 year old watch "Physco" wasn't a good idea either. I wouldn't go up the stairs on me own for months.

Liked
    0 times
    Can't remember the film, but this couple were driving along a dark, tree-lined country road. They rounded a bend to be greeted this great big demon thingy. Cue lots of screams and then cut to another bit of the plot.

We have just such a lane on the outskirts of Leicester. The trees have been thinned out now and the road's a bit busier these days, but I still don't driving along it on my own at night.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    [quote]name='Captain Casper']Rachel in Danger from "Armchair Thriller". Stephen Greif stalks my dreams still.

Also the soldier whistling "Pack up your troubles" in a deserted railway station in "Sapphire and Steel".

me too-that sapphire and steel episode frightened the bejesus out of me at the age of 5!!

Liked
    0 times
    I also remember being scared big time by the drama Two faces of Evil (1980) shown as part of a Hammer Horror series. The man in the yellow raincoat who terrorised this family on holiday.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast