Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

I'm a 'newbie' from northern California. I'm in love with British humor because it really makes me laugh unlike American sitcom humor that makes me gag. But my absolute favorite movies are fourties to early fifty films like Rebecca, The Uninvited, Jane Eyre, and Wuthering Heights. Well, and there are so many others. But really, the reason I joined this site is because it's my last hope for finding the title to a movie I watched about thirty years ago. Sinse that time, it has haunted me and despite doing extensive internet searches I cannot locate the title. I'm hoping that one of you will have seen this movie.

The plot was fairly simple.... A family living in WW2 England...Father, mother, two daughters and a young son....father is a doctor I think. Their life is suddenly changed when the father gets called off to serve in the war. The mom struggles to support her family but ends up running out of money. At that point they are forced to leave their beautiful home and move to a run down home in the country.

The children watch a commuter train each day as it passes by near their home. They wave to the passengers and at one point form a kind of freindship with one of the passengers who waves to them each day as the train goes by. Soon, the mother becomes very ill and there is no food. The children somehow get a message to the friendly man on the train who helps them. The mother recovers...the children are fed and the father finally comes home from the war.

There is one part of the movie that sticks in my mind, though. Before the family moves to the country the two young daughters take ballet lessons. There is a segment when I think they are auditioning for a part. The music that is playing is an excerp from The Sleeping Beauty by Tchaikovsky. Those scenes with the ballet were so beautiful.

PLEASE, if anyone knows this movie, let me know. I need to watch it again and probably purchase it.

Thanks for letting me post. -Linda

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='murazzo1']Hi,

I'm a 'newbie' from northern California. I'm in love with British humor because it really makes me laugh unlike American sitcom humor that makes me gag. But my absolute favorite movies are fourties to early fifty films like Rebecca, The Uninvited, Jane Eyre, and Wuthering Heights. Well, and there are so many others. But really, the reason I joined this site is because it's my last hope for finding the title to a movie I watched about thirty years ago. Sinse that time, it has haunted me and despite doing extensive internet searches I cannot locate the title. I'm hoping that one of you will have seen this movie.

The plot was fairly simple.... A family living in WW2 England...Father, mother, two daughters and a young son....father is a doctor I think. Their life is suddenly changed when the father gets called off to serve in the war. The mom struggles to support her family but ends up running out of money. At that point they are forced to leave their beautiful home and move to a run down home in the country.

The children watch a commuter train each day as it passes by near their home. They wave to the passengers and at one point form a kind of freindship with one of the passengers who waves to them each day as the train goes by. Soon, the mother becomes very ill and there is no food. The children somehow get a message to the friendly man on the train who helps them. The mother recovers...the children are fed and the father finally comes home from the war.

There is one part of the movie that sticks in my mind, though. Before the family moves to the country the two young daughters take ballet lessons. There is a segment when I think they are auditioning for a part. The music that is playing is an excerp from The Sleeping Beauty by Tchaikovsky. Those scenes with the ballet were so beautiful.

PLEASE, if anyone knows this movie, let me know. I need to watch it again and probably purchase it.

Thanks for letting me post. -Linda

Whoever wrote that film script had obviously watched The Railway Children [1970]!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    It sounds like The Railway Children relocated into WWII and with touches of things like Ballet Shoes

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I think my memory may have been a little off with the plot but, yes, that is the movie. I'm just dissappointed to see that the 70's version is so pricey and the newer version is not quite as good. I've watched a little of both on YouTube this morning and was as enchanted as ever by what I saw. Thank you again for solving this mystery for me and I hope your holidays are delightful. -linda

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='murazzo1']Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I think my memory may have been a little off with the plot but, yes, that is the movie. I'm just dissappointed to see that the 70's version is so pricey and the newer version is not quite as good. I've watched a little of both on YouTube this morning and was as enchanted as ever by what I saw. Thank you again for solving this mystery for me and I hope your holidays are delightful. -linda

Ah - but for Englishmen of a certain age, both versions are a treat! I shall be enjoying both yet again this Christmas.

Glad to have solved your mystery so quickly.