Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Saw this one as a kid, and frightened me to death.

Something to do with couples on a barge/canal holiday and they pick up a stranger who is having trouble with his canal boat (Dead Calm-esque) and he turns psycho and attacks them with a can opener.

Any ideas what this might be please?

Liked
    80 times
    name='schalcken']Saw this one as a kid, and frightened me to death.

Something to do with couples on a barge/canal holiday and they pick up a stranger who is having trouble with his canal boat (Dead Calm-esque) and he turns psycho and attacks them with a can opener.

Any ideas what this might be please?

Could be Way Upstream (1987).

More at the IMDB:

Way Upstream (1987) (TV)

Euryale.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Great, thanks again! Will try it out, if i can get it. I don't remember it being a comedy/drama but i was only very young at the time I saw it, so the black comedy was probably lost on me!

thanks!

Liked
    0 times
    I found this forum by chance because I was Googling for what sounds the same film as Schalcken is looking for. And I was so thrilled that the answer would be here.

However, although another board has suggested both Dead Calm and Way Upstream to me, the film I had in mind, (seen on television in the mid-late 1980s) just does not, in my memory, seem like anything from Alan Ayckbourn - I don't recall any "comedy" about it. Quite creepy really.

Couple on a barge or narrowboat or something, take aboard another guy ('cos his own boat is broken or some such thing). Sex and violence ensue, chiz chiz, and really not "comedy".

I suppose I'm posting partly on the off chance I may jog some expert's memory, and partly to say to the OP that it very probably is not "Way Upstream".

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Celyn']However, although another board has suggested both Dead Calm and Way Upstream to me, the film I had in mind, (seen on television in the mid-late 1980s) just does not, in my memory, seem like anything from Alan Ayckbourn - I don't recall any "comedy" about it. Quite creepy really.

The climax of Way Upstream is genuinely quite creepy (imo).

Liked
    0 times
    Yep, it IS "Way Upstream". I tried to come back here and say"oops, I am wrong, am now convinced it was", but something went wrong or I got busy. Unsure which.

Yes, it was my own silly preconception that it could not possibly be an Alan Ayckbourn thing, but am now sure it was, thanks to people at another board, and this

Alan Ayckbourn Plays: Way Upstream

Heh, I don't care about being wrong: it's just always nice to sort out one little bit of annoying trivia that clogs up my head.

So, I'm sorry for getting it wrong there. :)