Liked
    0 times
    Initially picked this up for 4.99 (USD). The DVD was stolen and ended up paying 30 (USD) for it on ebay. Rita Tushingham and Lynn Regrave play two girls from a small town who come to "Swinging London". One becomes a pop star and the other becomes a fashion model. Worth seeing if only for the scene in the boutique.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times

"It's all happening!"

Liked
    0 times
    Glad to see that someone else digs this movie.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    8 times
    This one brings back a few memories, I was the barman in the pie throwing scene, I think we all enjoyed ourselves throwing those pies about.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I must admit I've never seen this film. Some of these 'Swinging London' films were the most awful tosh, but I might give this a whirl....

Liked
    0 times
    I bought this a couple of years ago from Amazon (US), it was deleated but quite cheap then. A really good film, it's great seeing the locations & how they've changed (or not). A beautiful transfer, shame it's not anamorphic.

Member Country: England Keif Howard's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I was lucky enought to tape this from Channel 4 on August Bank Holiday Monday afternoon 1986. And a good friend sent me a copy of the US DVD this Summer. It's a very funny film with quite witty dialogue. Anyone familiar with the British mid-sixties scene should find this one truly entertaining.

Senior Member Country: United States rjd0309's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I've got a few pics from the film on my Rita Tushingham fansite.

Robert

Junior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Fantastic Fantastic!

One of the best. Rita and Lyn are fab.

Even the cameo from the band Tomorrow as 'The Sharks' is fun.

My VHS copy has turned to black and white, still great though!

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    remember going to the pictures with my grandma , I was only about 9-10 ,I think it was the picture house at edmonton , remember the film was a bit above me never seen it since, some years later saw marc bolan and t.rex there.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    I sort of(ish) liked the film-though a bit dis-jointed at times. Though, liked the Labour ward scene where Dandy Nicholls says to the girl in labour! "Try to get some bye-bye's-I'll fetch you an aspirin" AN ASPIRIN!!!!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scenesixty View Post
    I sort of(ish) liked the film-though a bit dis-jointed at times. Though, liked the Labour ward scene where Dandy Nicholls says to the girl in labour! "Try to get some bye-bye's-I'll fetch you an aspirin" AN ASPIRIN!!!!
    Isn't that Georgy Girl?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I think Vincenzo is right. The line does ring a bell and my memory is more likely to be from Georgy Girl, which I last saw two years ago, than Smashing Time ... which I don't think I've seen since Channel 4's 1986 transmission. I recall enjoying a scene where Peter Jones interviews people in the street (what is known as a 'vox pop') but am still haunted by my first viewing, long before.

Curious to know the exact date, the newspaper archives have convinced me this was 9th January 1977 - five days before Peter Finch's death. It certainly was a Sunday afternoon, on ITV. For years I had it in mind that it was Millicent Martin who sang (in) Carnaby Street with Rita Tushingham, not Lynn Redgrave. I wish I knew why. It was at this point in the film that a friend of my father's, who'd come to visit us, exclaimed "The Swinging Sixties!". Surely the first time I heard the magic words? A very distant childhood memory.

Another unsettling aspect of Smashing Time, for me, is that it includes a scene in the Post Office Tower at the time it had a 'revolving restaurant'. A few years later, an IRA bomb exploded in that vicinity. I always thought the building was closed to the public immediately after that but I've just read that this didn't occur until 1980. Apparently, plans to reopen it in recent years have been cancelled:

BT Tower restaurant will not reopen

Daily Mirror report on the premiere, 28th December 1967

I hope you don't mind me using your picture, Robert. It's much
    better to do it this way than post the ghastly newspaper scan:

THE JUMBLE SALE LOOK

THEY may look rather like a couple of refugees from a jumble sale. But this, in fact, was last night's portrait of the Stars of
    the Show. Actresses Rita Tushingham, left, and Lynn Redgrave. Arriving for the premiere of their new film, "Smashing Time".

The film, which was shown at the Odeon, Leicester Square, is all about two Northern girls who come to
    'Swinging London'. Lynn almost didn't make it last night. She had flu and defied doctor's orders to turn up.

Added Bonus

Alternative shots of the girls at the premiere are among the pictures here (let me know if this works, Robert):

TipsImages - Results for keywords 'rita tushingham'

Quote Originally Posted by whitstablejim View Post
    This one brings back a few memories, I was the barman in the pie throwing scene ...
    Was that in the 'revolving restaurant', Jim? Any chance of a screencap, Robert?
    Last edited by cornershop15; 01-11-12 at 08:20 PM.

Senior Member Country: United States rjd0309's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    No problem, Corner. Here is the link to the full-size pic of Rita and Lynn at the premiere of Smashing Time:

http://ritatushingham.info/images/Ri...-815x1040.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by whitstablejim View Post
    This one brings back a few memories, I was the barman in the pie throwing scene, I think we all enjoyed ourselves throwing those pies about.
    Here are a few screencaps from the pie-throwing scene. Not sure if I managed to get a pic of you as the barman, Jim.

Pie Shoppe Manager:

First waiter:

Second waiter:

Baker:

Barman????

Is that you, Jim, hiding behind the bar?

Cheers,
    Robert

--------------------
    My Fansite: The Rita Tushingham Home Page

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    From my film poster collection here is the 1967 UK quad poster for this Swinging London film 'Smashing Time'. Some groovy artwork

[IMG][/IMG]