Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I recall a drama shown on probably BB2 in the 90's about a women who stays at a country hotel and gets involved in possibly a relationship. When everything seems to be going perfect for her, she goes to bed (on her own) and wakes up the next day with reality having changed so that people she had spoken to etc no longer existed. For some reason I always thought it starred Sheena McDonald from Right To Reply but it obviously can't have done so maybe someone who looks like her.

Also, a time travel film made in the 90's where a guy saves the people of a town from being killed after an asteroid/meteor impact. I thinking he has a duplicate of himself who tries to get himself out of jail at one point in the film - I know it sounds weird. The actor was someone similar to Gary Cole or Marc Singer.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Jeff Daniels was in a film in 1992 called "Timescape" which sounds similar to your second film. Can't remember a scene in jail but it has been a while since I saw it so it might be worth a look.

Liked
    80 times
    The first film sounds a little like The Lorelei starring Amanda Redman and Michael Maloney, which was a BBC2 television movie.

More here:

The Lorelei (1990) (TV)

Euryale.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    name='Euryale']The first film sounds a little like The Lorelei starring Amanda Redman and Michael Maloney, which was a BBC2 television movie.

More here:

The Lorelei (1990) (TV)

Euryale.

Well done. I'd second that.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks both to WalkingDude and Euryale. Both correct on your suggestions. I have to admit I thought The Lorelei info I gave would never result in anyone remembering the name of the drama. Very surprised to get a positive response on that one.

Liked
    1 times
    Timescape was a US TV movie and was also released on video/DVD in the US with the title Grand Tour: Disaster in Time.

The similar US TV movie The Time Shifters (which was also released on DVD with the title Thrill Seekers) worked a similar plot, with voyeuristic time-travel tourists from the future returning to witness, but not prevent, major disasters.

I have a fair collection of time travel and parallel world movies and am an avid enthusiast (aka saddo ) of such science fiction, as both books and films. So I was interested to hear about Lorelei - I've not come across that drama before, so if anyone has it I'd be keen to trade. Please get in touch.

Season's greetings film fans!

Pip

Liked
    0 times
    name='Pip']Timescape was a US TV movie and was also released on video/DVD in the US with the title Grand Tour: Disaster in Time.

I have a fair collection of time travel and parallel world movies and am an avid enthusiast (aka saddo ) of such science fiction, as both books and films. So I was interested to hear about Lorelei - I've not come across that drama before, so if anyone has it I'd be keen to trade. Please get in touch.

Pip

I don't know if you'd consider it a parallel-worlds story, but The Thirteenth Floor, which I mentioned in a previous post, is an outstanding film. When I first saw it, I didn't recognize any of the stars. Also, Dark City, with the late Ian Richardson and Keifer Sutherland in a subsidiary role, is another good one.

Stephen King's The Talisman is also supposed to come out on film. Actually, King co-authored this with Whitley Streiber, I believe. You can pretty well tell King's segments, which aren't as many as Streiber's. As usual, the will probably mess up the book, which is quite lengthy.

Liked
    1 times
    I just spent 15 minutes composing a reply and then when I posted it the forum had timed me out and logged me out... my efforts were atomised! Too late and too annoyed to type it all again tonight! If the powers that be read this, your time-out is too quick, can you make it 30 minutes at least please!

Pip

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Pip']I just spent 15 minutes composing a reply and then when I posted it the forum had timed me out and logged me out... my efforts were atomised! Too late and too annoyed to type it all again tonight! If the powers that be read this, your time-out is too quick, can you make it 30 minutes at least please!

Pip
    00:57 Is there a time-out on posts once you've started?

[goes to watch some TV]

02:07 Let's see

Edit: No, there is no time out on this system. It must have been something else that stopped you posting it.

BTW If the sending of a form fails, you can usually go back a page in your browser and you'll still have the information there.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Gary D.']I don't know if you'd consider it a parallel-worlds story, but The Thirteenth Floor, which I mentioned in a previous post, is an outstanding film. When I first saw it, I didn't recognize any of the stars. Also, Dark City, with the late Ian Richardson and Keifer Sutherland in a subsidiary role, is another good one.

Stephen King's The Talisman is also supposed to come out on film. Actually, King co-authored this with Whitley Streiber, I believe. You can pretty well tell King's segments, which aren't as many as Streiber's. As usual, the will probably mess up the book, which is quite lengthy.

Other alternate world films:

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

It Happened Here (1965)

Quest for Love (1971)

Random Quest (2006) (TV)

D.

Liked
    4 times
    name='Steve Crook']00:57 Is there a time-out on posts once you've started?

[goes to watch some TV]

02:07 Let's see

Edit: No, there is no time out on this system. It must have been something else that stopped you posting it.

BTW If the sending of a form fails, you can usually go back a page in your browser and you'll still have the information there.

Steve

No Steve, please don't dismiss what Pip is saying - he would hardly have said it unless it was legit to him.

I recognise this situation exactly - it's happened to me before now, several times. Nowt on my PC that would cause it!

In addition, when you do go back a page, the text for the proposed reply isn't there...

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Ok it's a short story by Kurt Vonnegut but the best tale in this genre is Earth locating a life supporting planet light years away. They get volunteer settlers put them in suspended animation with waking periods to service the ship. They have a terrible time but the survivors make it thousands of years later only to be met by brass bands and welcoming deputations. Locals, with modern technology, do the trip in 3 and a half hours now.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Rob Compton']No Steve, please don't dismiss what Pip is saying - he would hardly have said it unless it was legit to him.

I recognise this situation exactly - it's happened to me before now, several times. Nowt on my PC that would cause it!

In addition, when you do go back a page, the text for the proposed reply isn't there...

rgds

Rob

I'm not dismissing it. But there are other stages to be considered and investigated. Like the browser, the operating system and the connection. I just wanted to see if there was a time-out on this system.

Pip, and Rob, what error message did you get? Do you remember? If it ever happens again please make a note of the error message(s). Try and do a screen grab if you can so that we can see what you're seeing

The going back a page might well depend on your browser and on some other settings. I know that it works for me

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Rob is correct - it's happened to me too - maybe it's some super moderator power that means it doesn't happen to you, Steve. You get logged out if you don't change pages after 15 minutes or so which includes those times when you've laboriously typed out a lot of information but haven't actually posted or clicked on a new thread. Only solution is to copy the text before you post and then paste when you've logged back in again.

Liked
    4 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Rob is correct - it's happened to me too - maybe it's some super moderator power that means it doesn't happen to you, Steve. You get logged out if you don't change pages after 15 minutes or so which includes those times when you've laboriously typed out a lot of information but haven't actually posted or clicked on a new thread. Only solution is to copy the text before you post and then paste when you've logged back in again.

Hooray for the Captain! Thanks for that - rather glad it has happened to others (sorry! I know it's a real pain and I had come to the same conclusion about cut and paste).

Steve/DB7 - if it's a "feature" and its possible to alter this, it would be really helpful if the 15 minutes or so could be extended to several hours...

Thanks, and I will try to note the exact circs when it happens, and any messages.

Rob

PS apologies for the thread hijack

Liked
    418 times
    It's always interesting to see how the "ordinary people" live

Thanks for that, over to you DB7

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Steve Crook']It's always interesting to see how the "ordinary people" live

Thanks for that, over to you DB7

Steve

And there's your Super-Special Searching Skills too. Anything else we should know about - do Junior Members have to mow your lawn?

Liked
    1 times
    name='Rob Compton'] it's happened to me before now, several times. Nowt on my PC that would cause it!

rgds

Rob

Thanks Rob - exactly right: it has happened to me loads of times on this forum. Usually I've just thought 'oh bother', logged in again and re-typed the message, saved it to clipboard, checked my log-in again, then if necessary logged in again, pasted the message back, then posted it!!

If I just log in again and go back, as Rob says, the message box is blank and all is lost.

Glad to hear it's not just me having this problem - and I have never had it on any other forum.

It's a damn nuisance when you take some time composing a long message and checking cross-references. Now I always try to remember to save to clipboard before trying to post, but sometimes the old brain forgets to!

Cheers all,

Pip

Liked
    0 times
    Even on this forum, I have lost a couple of my long-winded writings. At first, I thought I had offended the moderator--crossed some sort of line--but it's happened before--my offending someone and, more likely, a glitch occurring.

Now, I try to either write the original on Word and paste it, or save it to clipboard, just in case.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Pip']If I just log in again and go back, as Rob says, the message box is blank and all is lost.

Yes, it will be if you log in again and go to the message box again. But have any of you tried using the BACK button in your browser to go back to the previous page - the one where you were composing the message? That should still have the message in it and you can copy it from there, maybe save it in Notepad or Word and then log back in, go to the message box and paste the message back in

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast