Liked
    0 times
    With Woolworths closing down ,it pays to look in their dvd section as old stock is appearing in the clear out. I have found some very good videos and dvds at bargain prices. It is just luck which store brings out old stock. Also look out for corgi film related toys as they could be good investments.Happy hunting and a Happy Christmas..

lenny

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    As you say it's a question of luck. My local Woolies sale collection of DVDs was dire. I asked one of the supervisors whether there was any possibility of replenishing the shelves with anymore discounted DVDs? "No. When this lot is sold, that's it", was the reply.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='EHV_Emmetts']As you say it's a question of luck. My local Woolies sale collection of DVDs was dire. I asked one of the supervisors whether there was any possibility of replenishing the shelves with anymore discounted DVDs? "No. When this lot is sold, that's it", was the reply.

Inter store transfers will just add cost so I think it will be as your local staff advised you.

I keep meaning to call in on my local FWW but it was only ever a small store and they closed the upper sales floor two years ago.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    that was all part of woolies problem ,the choice of dvds being one example ,they would only have chart stuff which would be cheaper in tescos . if you wanted something a bit more individual to your tastes then you would go to hmv or try online . woolworths didnt really count for anything at the end

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='davidb']that was all part of woolies problem ,the choice of dvds being one example ,they would only have chart stuff which would be cheaper in tescos . if you wanted something a bit more individual to your tastes then you would go to hmv or try online . woolworths didnt really count for anything at the end

Yep. Chart DVDs and special purchase clearance lines; both with low % margins.

I awlways check FindDVD before I buy anything..............even CDs or books

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    8 times
    It is just pot luck with Woolworths, had a few good titles recently but the best deal I had there was a couple of years ago. I bought the 2-disc special edition versions of both Spiderman and Spiderman 2 for just �2.40 each.My grandson was delighted with them.

Liked
    0 times
    My son worked in Woolworths a couple of years ago on the CD / DVD counter for which he is eminently qualified having been shown all the Ealing classics etc from a young age. Anyway - it was common practise for a customer to bring a CD or DVD case up to the counter, he would then look for it and if it wasn't around, he would say that it was out of stock, and when he went to junk the case, the supervisor would reprimand him and tell him to put it back on display, even though there were no reorders due. When he questioned this he was told they knew what they were doing and people would be impressed by the range of stock, but he pointed out it was just irritating people and would probably cause them not to come back.

Another day he was told he was on the lottery machine and was given absolutely no training on it.

He left after a while (thank God) and the people who 'knew what they were doing' stayed. That really was the wonder of Woolies - how they survived for so long!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    Went on friday and bought a load of wii games and dvd's for half price a real bargin pity it's closing. Got the original Oliver for 50p and Elf for �3 and bought the christmas porridge series for �2 and the best of steptoe and son for �4 so some real bargins.

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    our store in York shut in January this year so nothing to visit round hear!

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Mr Cosmo']Anyway - it was common practice for a customer to bring a CD or DVD case up to the counter, he would then look for it and if it wasn't around, he would say that it was out of stock,

I've been on the receiving end of this 'practice' - although not at Woolies, but at WH Smith's, on two occasions.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Carmel']Went on friday and bought a load of wii games and dvd's for half price a real bargin pity it's closing.

Sounds brilliant! I can�t believe Woolworths is closing down though. I remember going there as a kid... it was like a game paradise!! I used to love the fizzy apple laces as well.. boo.. I think I�m going to miss it.. Damn credit crunch!!!!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    Not a dvd but I bought a Daewoo VCR for �10.48 this morning. And it was a 6 head machine with NTSC playback rather than a basic mono machine. With 2000+ VHS tapes still in my collection this was an irresistible bargain!

Mike (MrT)

Liked
    0 times
    Well at least someone else has had a result.In a way I am more lucky than most as there are 4 stores within easy reach from Hackney.Shame to see them go but they were so ill run it only has the senior managers to blame for not moving with the times. And I dont mean now as they should have acted years ago.

lenny