Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    From The Times

December 23, 2008

BBC broadcaster Adrian Chiles is the most-seen man on television - Times Online

It's him again: Adrian Chiles, the most ubiquitous bloke on television

by Patrick Foster, Media Correspondent

He is an exception to the rule that you have to be beautiful to be ubiquitous on British television. Adrian Chiles, the BBC broadcaster known for his blokeish demeanour and lucrative TV contracts, was the most-seen man on television this year.

Chiles, who hosts several high-profile shows, can claim the crown of greatest total viewing figures, unseating ITV�s Ant and Dec from the top spot, according to an analysis of official figures by media agency MPG.

The BBC gave Chiles a �1 million a year salary six months ago and handed the Brummie presenter huge, ready-made audiences for A-list events such as the Beijing Olympics and the Euro 2008 football championships. Chiles, 41, is seen by the corporation as a versatile everyman. His main job is anchoring The One Show, BBC1�s early evening magazine programme, but he also presents Match of the Day 2, and the Apprentice: You�re Fired, the analysis show screened after Sir Alan Sugar�s reality business programme.

�If I�m the most watched person, all I can say is there can�t be much else on television,� Chiles told The Times. Philip Schofield and Noel Edmonds were in second and third place. �I bet Ant and Dec are hurting now. This must hurt. But don�t cry for them, they will be back.� Chiles joined the BBC initially for three weeks of work experience and progressed to presenting Radio 4�s Financial World Tonight in 1993. A long stint fronting the business show, Working Lunch, followed, but Chiles, an avid West Bromwich Albion fan, also forged a career in the sports field, with regular slots on Radio 5 Live.

His down to earth manner won him many fans in the football world, and when the Premier League rights returned to the BBC Chiles was given the job of presenting Match of the Day 2 on Sunday nights, which takes a more informal approach to the game than its Saturday night counterpart, hosted by Gary Lineker.

After playing an integral role in the BBC coverage of the Euro 2008 football championships, minus the England team, Chiles was picked to anchor the morning coverage of the Beijing Olympics, which gave him the vast viewing base that ensured he was the most seen man on television. Born to an English father and a Croatian mother, Chiles studied English Literature at the University of London. He was twice interviewed for a post at MI5 but was eventually turned down by the security services.

He spent years in the hinterland of television before getting his break on prime time. �I wouldn�t say my rise has been meteoric,� he said yesterday. �I�ve been slogging away for years.�

Earlier in the year Chiles was approached by ITV with a proposed �6 million deal to make him the �face� of their football coverage. To keep him at the BBC, Auntie splashed out �2 million on a two-year deal, making him one of the best-paid presenters.

Chiles still finds the idea of being famous nerve-wracking. �When you go up against people who you grew up watching that�s when it�s weird,� Chiles said. �We had Noel Edmonds on The One Show the other week. I�m still trying to get used to the idea that Noel Edmonds watches me on TV.�

The analysis was carried out by MPG, the media agency. Jim McDonald, head of broadcastat the company, said: �The Olympics was always going to be one of the biggest TV events of 2008 but the great success achieved by Team GB made the Beijing Games a must see.

�Largely on the back of that success Adrian Chiles has become the king of British TV presenting.�

Liked
    151 times
    His popularity completely baffles me, I find him bland in the extreme and a local tv presenter who has struck lucky. That he might be playing footsie with his co-presenter is weird; kinda like when I first heard John Major had a fling with Edwina. I expect these people to be a home with a hot cup of cocoa and a train set.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I don't mind him .... he seems like an affable sort of chap and makes a nice change from the endless up their own arse presenters we usually get inflicted upon us.

Liked
    4 times
    He's one of those presenters, though, who seems to be aiming most of his remarks at his mates behind the camera. Or is it only me who gets that impression ?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='DB7']That he might be playing footsie with his co-presenter is weird

With Alan Hansen? Now that does sound weird

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    name='batman']I don't mind him .... he seems like an affable sort of chap and makes a nice change from the endless up their own arse presenters we usually get inflicted upon us.

Ditto Bats, I enjoy the 'One show' when I get a chance to see it, he's not patronsing towards guests or 'me, me, me,' all the time, I'd sooner watch Adrian and co than Woss or Ant & Dec........aargh!!

Liked
    0 times
    Adrian Chiles is ok, it's Nick 'where's me razor?' Knowles who needs to be removed from our screens.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    He has a rightful place on this forum for his performance as the host of a swinger's party in that cinematic "masterpiece" Sex Lives Of The Potato Men.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Like it or not � and I don't � he epitomises the success of Radio 5 'Live', and today's dumbed down BBC...faced with a high-level interviewee, eg Gordon Brown, I'm sure we'd hear what is the PM's favourite football team before anything else. He makes BBC 1 Wogan shows of the 1980s look sophisticated ....

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I think as long as he doesn't change, the more success he gets, then I am quite happy that he is on the box. He is happy to take the mick out of himself and doesn't take himself seriously like other presenters do. He tends to speak the fans language. I just hope that the praise and big money doesn't turn him into another jumped up 'I'm a star' bore that we see on virtually every other show.

Liked
    0 times
    Adrian wouldn't know how to get big headed about what he does. He really is having a good time, while it lasts. Were both "Baggies" supporters that may account for not taking anything seriously. Ah, well Ade...Bring On Chelsea........

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='David Challinor']Like it or not � and I don't � he epitomises the success of Radio 5 'Live', and today's dumbed down BBC...faced with a high-level interviewee, eg Gordon Brown, I'm sure we'd hear what is the PM's favourite football team before anything else. He makes BBC 1 Wogan shows of the 1980s look sophisticated ....

He's not today's Robin Day, he's today's Michael Barratt, or Michael Rodd, or Frank Bough. Try comparing like to like....

The comment from elsewhere that he is aiming comments at mates behind the camera is spot on - but its us he's talking to us as his mates, not a cameraman. He is a pro, works live and largely unscripted, and makes it look effortless (More than can be said for, say, Jeremy Paxman). Fair play to the man.

Liked
    255 times
    name='kelp'] Ah, well Ade...Bring On Chelsea........

With Chelsea in their current form The Baggies will probably win!

Member Country: England Bunnyboy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Someone told me Adrian Chiles is knocking off Christine Bleakley...! Is there any truth in this rumour?

Liked
    255 times
    name='Bunnyboy']Someone told me Adrian Chiles is knocking off Christine Bleakley...! Is there any truth in this rumour?

They are alleged to be an item.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='DB7']His popularity completely baffles me, I find him bland in the extreme and a local tv presenter who has struck lucky. That he might be playing footsie with his co-presenter is weird; kinda like when I first heard John Major had a fling with Edwina. I expect these people to be a home with a hot cup of cocoa and a train set.
    I agree, bland is the word. When first encountered, yes he was OK and probably 'made' the One Show, an echo of Tonight with Cliff Michelmore. But like many others there is a sustainability problem. Or, being an old fashioned reactionary have I changed my opinion since his marriage broke up?

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='batman']I don't mind him .... he seems like an affable sort of chap and makes a nice change from the endless up their own arse presenters we usually get inflicted upon us.

John Inverdale perhaps ?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I quite like Mr Chiles. Cracked me up the other day. Not sure whether it was on Match of the Day or some such, but they were running footage of footballers giving referees a bit of verbal and he was dubbing words over. The sort of thing we all like to sit at home and do in an idle moment.

Liked
    255 times
    name='Windthrop']John Inverdale perhaps ?

Is he still on TV? I only ever hear him on the radio these days ...

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']Is he still on TV? I only ever hear him on the radio these days ...

He tends to present the Rugby on on BBC tv.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast