Member Country: England jaybob777's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The TV dramatisation of the Railway Children has been an interesting production. Does anyone know which location it was filmed, particularly the railway station?

Best wishes to all for 2009.

J.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    If you mean the 2000 itv version it's filmed on the Bluebell railway in Sussex. Probably Horsted Keynes station used for countless other films and TV shows over the years.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Here is a link to the Bluebell Webpage about the filming in 2000:-

Bluebell Railway - Location for The Railway Children

Well worth a visit

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    I really do wish they would show the original 1968 TV version so we can compare it with the film a few years later.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    The original was on earlier in the year if I remember correctly.

Liked
    11 times
    name='jch']The original was on earlier in the year if I remember correctly.

WHAAAT!??

How the heck did I miss that?? Or did they just slip it in under the radar without any drumroll??

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='cully']WHAAAT!??

How the heck did I miss that?? Or did they just slip it in under the radar without any drumroll??

I think jch is referring to the 1968 film version.

Liked
    11 times
    name='batman']I think jch is referring to the 1968 film version.

I'm referring to the TV series from 1968. The film was from 1970...

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='cully']I'm referring to the TV series from 1968. The film was from 1970...

I know what you are referring to .... I just got the date wrong. AFAIK it has not been broadcast this year.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    name='cully']I'm referring to the TV series from 1968. The film was from 1970...

cully, I can give you a cast-iron guarantee that the 1968 BBC version was not shown last year. It was only ever shown twice - from 12 May 1968 for seven weeks and then again either late that summer or the summer of 1969.

I've enjoyed watching it again over Christmas - along with the superb 1970 version and the 2000 version with Jenny bringing her involvement full circle by playing Mother beautifully.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Surely the original version is from 1951? Though I assume neither that or the 1957 version (both with Jean Anderson as Mother) don't survive?

Liked
    36 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Surely the original version is from 1951? Though I assume neither that or the 1957 version (both with Jean Anderson as Mother) don't survive?

Indeed - I believe there are some stills from the 1957 version to be found on the web.

The Railway Children does hold a special place in the hearts of those who saw it - almost whichever version. When she spoke at Elham in October, Jenny did say that Jean Alexander had told her that for years afterwards people would stop her and say how much they had enjoyed it.

Liked
    492 times
    name='Fellwanderer']Indeed - I believe there are some stills from the 1957 version to be found on the web.

The Railway Children does hold a special place in the hearts of those who saw it - almost whichever version. When she spoke at Elham in October, Jenny did say that Jean Alexander had told her that for years afterwards people would stop her and say how much they had enjoyed it.

On the commentary for the Doctor Who story The War Machines, Anneke Wills corrects someone who says she played the Jenny Agutter part - pointing out that Jenny actually played her part. There's a biography of E Nesbit with pics from this version.

Liked
    11 times
    name='Fellwanderer']cully, I can give you a cast-iron guarantee that the 1968 BBC version was not shown last year. It was only ever shown twice - from 12 May 1968 for seven weeks and then again either late that summer or the summer of 1969.

I've enjoyed watching it again over Christmas - along with the superb 1970 version and the 2000 version with Jenny bringing her involvement full circle by playing Mother beautifully.

Thanks, Bats and Fell!

Yes, my quibble is WHY they haven't bothered to show the 1968 version! After all, a heck of a lot of people would tune in and watch it just out of curiosity and the viewing figures would certainly justify it, IMHO. Perhaps you might ask Jenny when you next see her, Fell? She would have to be paid royalties so it would be in her interest to chivy the right people to get it shown!

Liked
    36 times
    name='cully']Thanks, Bats and Fell!

Yes, my quibble is WHY they haven't bothered to show the 1968 version! After all, a heck of a lot of people would tune in and watch it just out of curiosity and the viewing figures would certainly justify it, IMHO. Perhaps you might ask Jenny when you next see her, Fell? She would have to be paid royalties so it would be in her interest to chivy the right people to get it shown!

Jenny did speak about it when interviewed on Breakfast by Bill Turnbull in May. When he suggested a campaign to get it shown again she did say that although it was a lovely piece it was quite old-fashioned and recommended that he take a look at it first. Well, I've watched it again and I'd certainly vote for its re-run - although if anyone is surprised at that they obviously haven't been around here for very long

Liked
    11 times
    name='Fellwanderer']Jenny did speak about it when interviewed on Breakfast by Bill Turnbull in May. When he suggested a campaign to get it shown again she did say that although it was a lovely piece it was quite old-fashioned and recommended that he take a look at it first. Well, I've watched it again and I'd certainly vote for its re-run - although if anyone is surprised at that they obviously haven't been around here for very long

Understood. Mm, if even Jenny is lukewarm it....might never happen.

Liked
    492 times
    I've seen the tv series with Jenny - to be honest it looks very sloooow now though it's charming for retro tv devotees. 6 episodes but there's actually less plot than in the film as each incident takes a whole episode. So that's half an hour to save the train and half an hour to get the prize watches for saving the train. And the final reunion has no smoke It was released on video so I would imagine it's not completely impossible to find for the curious. it might make a nice series to show over Christmas or Easter in the mornings but I can't see it getting a peak time showing in the near future.