Thread: Crapshoot

Liked
    0 times
    Greetings from North Carolina.... I came upon this web site by accident; looking for a 1940's, possibly 1950's movie. I don't know any of the actors or film title but have a story synopsis. And, by the way, it would make a great remake. Here's the story: an English (noble) family with all their servants are on a 3-masted sailing ship, vacationing in the South Seas. The ship is sunk by a storm and only this family and servants survive on an uninhabited island. It becomes apparent that the most adept survivalist is the butler and soon the tables are turned and he becomes "lord of the realm" He does not abuse his new position, remaining quite humble in his management of the lives of his fellow human beings. Upon rescue and return to England, it is back to the former status quo, with one exception; the butler, who has harvested a huge quantity of pearls from the island, and is now rich, marries the cook and moves on, living happily ever after.

I saw this movie on CBC in Canada, growing up in the 1950's in St. John, N.B.

If anyone knows this film, let me know. It may even be in DVD format?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Suncapri']Greetings from North Carolina.... I came upon this web site by accident; looking for a 1940's, possibly 1950's movie. I don't know any of the actors or film title but have a story synopsis. And, by the way, it would make a great remake. Here's the story: an English (noble) family with all their servants are on a 3-masted sailing ship, vacationing in the South Seas. The ship is sunk by a storm and only this family and servants survive on an uninhabited island. It becomes apparent that the most adept survivalist is the butler and soon the tables are turned and he becomes "lord of the realm" He does not abuse his new position, remaining quite humble in his management of the lives of his fellow human beings. Upon rescue and return to England, it is back to the former status quo, with one exception; the butler, who has harvested a huge quantity of pearls from the island, and is now rich, marries the cook and moves on, living happily ever after.

I saw this movie on CBC in Canada, growing up in the 1950's in St. John, N.B.

If anyone knows this film, let me know. It may even be in DVD format?

The Admirable Crichton with Kenneth More and Cecil Parker.

There is still the occasional stage version in Britain - I saw it with Michael Craig as Lord Loam and Hugh Quarshie as Crichton - it was excellent. But please - no Amercian remakes!

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so very much. Nah, American cinema is all about bang, bang,

shoot 'em up. European films have plot, dialogue (sorry, I can't get my spell checker to correct).

P.S. I am Austrian born, grew up in Canada and now living in the Blue Ridge Mountains ( still a mountain boy)

Thanks again.

Albert