Liked
    0 times
    Hello all,

As I have seen so many other do, I decided that this would be a very good place to pick up some research for my A2 Media Coursework.

As with others, my topic was women in film, and I have expanded this to 'How women are represented in British gangster films'.

My specific question is

"How do modern British film makers represent women in gangster films compared to film makers in the past?"

It would be very much appreciated if anyone out there could offer me their opinions and thoughts.

It is of particular interest to me with thoughts involving these films:

Brighton Rock

Get Carter

The Long Good Friday

Snatch

The Business

Also, if anyone had any other advice about this project it would be welcome.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Josh

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Have you watched any of these films .... if so, what are your views regarding your question?

Liked
    0 times
    Batman

As I have just started doing this project I am in the beginning stages.

I thought that it would take a while to recieve replies on this forum, so I thought that the sensible option would be to get this thread up early on.

However, I have already watched The Business and Snatch, despite not analyzing them critically.

I am currenty starting on Brighton Rock and have got a start on that front.

I expect to find that women will be given much more important roles, in terms of their power and how they are portrayed.

Thanks

Josh

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    That's a good start Josh .... many other students don't even bother to watch the films!

I haven't seen Snatch or The Business so can't comment on those, but the portrayal of women doesn't change significantly in the other three (which I have seen) IMHO. The portrayal of women in Brighton Rock, Get Carter and The Long Good Friday is surprisingly similar in some cases, especially given the gaps between them. There are portrayals of women as being 'victims', 'molls' and 'family' .... but only in TLGF is there an indication IMHO of a woman with 'power', albeit of a vicarious nature.

I am sure people who have seen the other films will be able to carry this theme through.

The best research is to watch the films.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your help. Will let you know my findings out.

Liked
    0 times
    Any one elses opinion would be much appreciated. Thanks

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Hi,

While I'm happy to chat about Snatch, I wonder why you've chosen it? It's a film about criminals rather than gangsters and the only really prominent female role is Mum O'Neil (Sorcha Cusack) who heads a family of travelling people.

So I don't think it's a very good choice for you.

However, it might be interesting for you to look at the relationship between Mum and Mickey,(Brad Pitt) particularly the ingrained respect he has for her as a mother and as the head of his family. It never wavered?

Take a look at the change in Mickey after his mothers murder?.....how focussed he became?

Most of this, though, is relevant to travelling communities rather than crime families although most gangsters are portrayed as having a special relationship with their mothers?

In The Long Good Friday there are two women in Harolds life. We don't see very much of his mother but we do catch the manipulative and intelligent Victoria (Helen Mirren) almost becoming the lynchpin in the Shand organisation?

Only my opinions but I thought I'd post them

If you need to know any more about the travelling community, drop me a PM and I'll send you some links?

Good luck with your project