Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    151 times
    Wannabe suicide bombers beware: Chris Morris movie gets go-ahead

By Genevi�ve Roberts

Tuesday, 6 January 2009

He has persuaded MPs to campaign to keep the fictitious drug "cake" off the streets, and musician Phil Collins to warn children against paedophiles while wearing a "Nonce Sense" T-shirt. Now the satirist Chris Morris is tackling his most controversial topic yet: wannabe suicide bombers.

Morris's film, which has the working title Four Lions, explores the "farce" of terrorism and is funded by FilmFour. It goes into production this summer, after a year of delays caused by funding difficulties over fears that it was too contentious, and is expected to be in cinemas by the end of the year. The production company Warp Films said the film, which Morris spent three years researching, "understands how terrorism relates to testosterone. It understands jihadis as human beings. And it understands human beings as innately ridiculous."

Deirdre Steed, who worked with Morris to secure funding for the film, said the satirist, who fronted The Day Today and Brass Eye, has spoken to terrorism experts, imams, police, secret services and hundreds of Muslims to research the film.

"Even those who have trained and fought jihad report the frequency of farce," she said. "At training camps, young jihadis argue about honey, cry for their mums, shoot each other's feet off, chase snakes and get thrown out for smoking. A minute into his martyrdom video, a would-be bomber looks puzzled and says 'what was the question again?' On Millennium eve, five jihadis set out to ram a US warship. They slipped their boat into the water and carefully stacked it with explosives. It sank."

Ms Steed said terrorist cells share the same group dynamics as stag parties and five-a-side football teams. "There is conflict, friendship, misunderstanding and rivalry," she said. "Terrorism is about ideology, but it's also about berks.

"Four Lions is a funny, thrilling fictional story that illuminates modern British jihad with an insight beyond anything else in our culture. It plunges us beyond seeing these young men as unfathomably alien. It undermines the folly of just wishing them away or alienating the entire culture from which they emerge. As Spinal Tap understood heavy metal and Dr Strangelove the Cold War, Four Lions understands modern British jihadis."

The project, which Morris has described as showing the "Dad's Army side to terrorism", has suffered a year of delays, and was refused funding as a television project by the BBC, amid speculation that the subject was too controversial. But Morris remained determined that it should go into production. He asked the public to show their support by offering �25 towards the funding of the film, in return for the chance to be an extra in the comedy.

Then, on 30 October, Morris announced to fans: "We've had some good funding news which means we won't be asking you to back your generous offer with hard cash."

FilmFour confirmed it will be backing the film and yesterday said it will be produced this year. A spokeswoman said Morris had always envisaged the project as a feature film rather than a piece for television and that FilmFour "had been involved from the beginning of the development process".

Morris has previously acknowledged that "some may find poking fun at terrorists offensive". But, he said: "Most of us would dearly love to laugh in the face of our worst fears. Why aren't we laughing at terrorists? Because we don't know how to, until now."

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    what a great idea ,laugh at our fears . with a bit of luck it will baffle our enemy and theyll be stumped for what to do next .i think its one film that wont disappear without a trace ,i can see the outraged headlines in the tabloids now . frank skinner mentioned something similar when he wondered what kind of WW2 song our grandparents would have come up with if they had to endure bin laden and his al quaeeda massive

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWMaBINx2Y]YouTube - Frank skinner - Osama bin laden song[/ame]

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    ceefax:

Families who lost relatives in the 2005 London bomb attacks are appealing to cinemas not to show a British comedy about four aspiring suicide bombers.

FOUR LIONS was created by satirist Chris Morris, who was also behind the controversial Channel 4 show BRASS EYE.

The film - on general release from Friday - focuses on four men travelling to London to target the marathon.

Grahame Russell, whose son was among the 52 killed on 7 July, 2005, accused its makers of being morally bankrupt.

GRAEME
    Silly. So now terrorism is a taboo subject that can't be touched because it might upset a few people. Sounds like the papers went to these poor people and asked them for their "shocked reactions" and then reported it as news.

Chris Morris is trying to satirically analyse the whole terroism/war on terror phenomenon. He uses humour, but that is not to say he will trivialise the subject by so doing.

This is an age-old way of trying to quosh dissent. It is disreputable - and only hurts the victims of atrocity more to use them in this way.

I think people should see a film/play/read a book, etc befote being offended...

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='GRAEME']Sounds like the papers went to these poor people and asked them for their "shocked reactions" and then reported it as news.
    That's what they usually do

Even prompting them to be shocked by phrasing the question like "Aren't you shocked by ...?"

Luckily, most people ignore such nonsense and this film is getting some good reviews

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Whilst the Glasgow Two and the Times Square One might suggest we should all realise what sillybillies these jihadists are, the Mumbai Ten take the edge off the joke I guess.

The real difficulty for the movie is likely to be that only those who think the whole thing is a joke will go to see it anyhow.

I wonder if anyone is making a funny movie about the inept American or British armies targetting the Taliban and hitting a mud-brick house full of Afghan villagers instead.

It's all a bit "Allo Allo" for my tastes, but then I thought Dad's Army was a bit risky at one time.....

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The reviews I've read of the film suggest that it's actually rather harrowing.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Being Chris Morris, I expect it to be difficult and funny. Intellegently put together and well edited. And I expect it to be hard and original and to confound expectations. Er ... which means ... I expect it to be not what is expected. But if it is not what is expected by me, then that is what I expected, and it can only be unexpected by being totally what was expected... which would be unexpected, so ...

Can I leave this and come back to it later?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I certainly won't be boycotting it. I'm a huge fan of Chris Morris and think he has a very intelligent sense of humour and picks his targets very well indeed.

His work on Brass Eye and The Day Today certainly isn't to everybody's taste but I'd welcome any new work of his.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Another "taboo" subject then? I watched a clip on BBC News last night and laughed out loud. As I did with Life of Brian, Borat, Dave Allen At Large etc etc.

If the moral guardians had their way, we'd be left with Terry & June and Songs of Praise.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Captain Casper']Another "taboo" subject then? I watched a clip on BBC News last night and laughed out loud. As I did with Life of Brian, Borat, Dave Allen At Large etc etc.

If the moral guardians had their way, we'd be left with Terry & June and Songs of Praise.
    No, can't have Songs of Praise what with the way it only focuses on one religion

Steve

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']No, can't have Songs of Praise what with the way it only focuses on one religion

Steve

And we don't want to upset the blue-rinse extremists, do we? It'd be carnage with suicide bombers at bring-and-buy sales.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I wonder if the families of refugees made similar protests about The Great Dictator or To Be Or Not to Be

Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Liked
    396 times
    name='Captain Casper']Another "taboo" subject then? I watched a clip on BBC News last night and laughed out loud. As I did with Life of Brian, Borat, Dave Allen At Large etc etc.

Precisely..............

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Well, having seen the film last night, I would have to say that offence is the least thing the families should worry about. This is a drastically over praised film and a real disappointment. Morris and his writers have disastrously misjudged the tone of this film and have resorted to getting laughs from funny northern accents and characters so unbelievably stupid that it undermines the whole point, whatever that was.

If the aim is to get laughs at any cost then he achieves that for a while, but what then? Playing it like a slapstick farce is fine but it should be shot through with tragedy and poignancy about what these men are planning to do, but it isn't. He does expose the confused muddled illogical thinking and misunderstanding of the bombers that leads them into their plot but the comedy shields the characters from deeper scrutiny and it is nonsence to suggest we ever sympathise with them.

One bomber is clearly learning disabled (retarded, slow, call it what you will) but we are still encouraged to laugh at his gormless childish enthusiasm for martyrdom and the lies his leader tells him to keep him on track even if he is the most sympathetic. The leader of the gang is a man who clearly dodesn't observe Islam in any formal way and has a non-traditional wife, whose attitude makes no sense whatsoever. She stands over him as he edits his comrades pre- attack statements to video (which are actually the funniest parts of the film) with a wistful smile quite happy with what he intends to do, in front of their son.

The final 20 mins when the bombers go on the attack is played for farce but at no time do we feel the gut- wrenching horror of what they are doing, no poignancy or harrowing tragedy at their actions and its consequences and that is unforgiveable in a film that has dared to tackle the subject in this way.The lack of focus or clear intention of the script other than laughs for their own sake is a wasted oppoprtunity but as a ever others will have to make their own minds up.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Saw this today and found it very funny.

Liked
    0 times
    Saw this today .went in with an open mind,not having read this thread,came out feeling repulsed sick and disgusted at the morally bankrupt film makers.Lets see what about a comedy about the IRA bombing campaign in London.Oh what fun thatwas.

Liked
    418 times
    name='orpheum']Saw this today .went in with an open mind,not having read this thread,came out feeling repulsed sick and disgusted at the morally bankrupt film makers.Lets see what about a comedy about the IRA bombing campaign in London.Oh what fun thatwas.
    Someone's already made that one

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107207/

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']Someone's already made that one

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107207/

Steve

A comedy?

Liked