Senior Member Country: Germany JD_Fan's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    "A Tale of Two Cities" is based on the novel by Charles Dickens (my favorite book )

I like "A Tale of Two Cities" with Dirk Bogarde more than the movie with Ronald Colman. Both men brought their own individual styles to this famous role but Bogarde matched the character more. His interpretation of the sad Sydney Carton is true to the character created by Dickens.

Carton is a hero and the movie has one of the saddest movie endings ever.

btw. Sydney Carton is the best character in literary history.

Liked
    0 times
    I've seen both the 1935 and 1958 versions. I'm not sure that one is better than the other, nor am I sure that either is better than the book by Charles Dickens.

The 1935 version, though, is not the first screen version of the novel. Prior to that, there were--apparently--big screen versions in 1907, 1911, 1917, and 1922.

There were also a mini-series made for television in 1957, 1980, and 1989. Plus an animated version made in 1984. Plus a television series based on the book, which--apparently--lasted ten episodes in 1965.

Except for the 1935 and 1958 versions, none of which I've seen.

Finally, as a bit of trivia, the part of the Marquis, which was played by Basil Rathbone in 1935, was played by Christopher Lee in 1958.

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JD_Fan
    "A Tale of Two Cities" is based on the novel by Charles Dickens (my favorite book )

I like "A Tale of Two Cities" with Dirk Bogarde more than the movie with Ronald Colman. Both men brought their own individual styles to this famous role but Bogarde matched the character more. His interpretation of the sad Sydney Carton is true to the character created by Dickens.

Carton is a hero and the movie has one of the saddest movie endings ever.

btw. Sydney Carton is the best character in literary history.
    Definitely agree. As you say, Colman and Bogarde were different in their portrayals of Sydney Carton, but Bogarde brought the perfect blend of inner sensitivity masked by outer cynicism to the role.

Although director Ralph Thomas made the choice to film it in black and white, in retrospect, both he and Bogarde were convinced that the film would have had wider and more lasting appeal had it been made in colour.

Barbara