Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Probably from around 1980, I remember a one off drama about a hard nosed business man (I've got the vaguest feeling this may have been Ray Brooks) who goes to the top floor of an office block where he is met by a dwarf butler (sound familiar?) who I think must have in fact been played by Angelo Muscat. It was definitely a Room 101 type scenario, where the business man could not escape.

Liked
    80 times
    This would be A Touch of the Tiny Hacketts made in 1978. It did star Ray Brooks but Angelo Muscat had died the year before. I think the actor you are thinking of is Rusty Goffe.

Euryale.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    This is the closest I've found to a Ray Brooks-Angelo Muscat connection. A play titled 'A Touch Of the Tiny Hacketts', starring Ray Brooks, and includes a midget in the story but otherwise it differs quite a bit from your description. Sadly, Angelo Muscat, immortalised as the butler in 'The Prisoner', died before this programme was made.

Here is the link, which I hope will help:

A Touch of the Tiny Hacketts 1983: Movie and film review from Answers.com

Just noticed ... Euryale's got there before me. You still have the link though.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that guys. I definitely remember a point towards the end where Brooke's character tries to leave through a door which opens straight outside (many storeys up)..... and I remember the dwarf character (who was mute) continually gesturing with rotating hands suggesting eating. I'm convinced he was imprisoned there and only realises it as the play progresses. The Tiny Hacketts description doesn't seem to fit but maybe my memory has just filled in some yawning gaps

Liked
    177 times
    Glad we've helped you out, Midwich. Strange about the descriptions/synopsis being different but if you hadn't remembered Ray Brooks I wouldn't have found it. The 'dwarf detail' and your guess that it was early '80s prove the title's probably right. It would be interesting to see this play.

P.S. How do we change this query to 'Answered'?

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='cornershop15']

P.S. How do we change this query to 'Answered'?

The poster of the question does this, via a PM to the 'best answer' poster...

Smudge

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks, Smudge, I didn't know it was up to the original poster. Hey, maybe I'll be able to do that one day if my first post to Britmovie gets an answer! One can but hope ...

I did get a positive response yesterday from Lord Brett regarding an episode of 'U.F.O.'. I was so happy with the answer but now realise I should have asked it in THIS thread instead of casually mentioning it in the (totally) unconnected one with Michael Caine's 'Flawless'. So I want to ask this - can posts be moved to another thread?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='cornershop15']Thanks, Smudge, I didn't know it was up to the original poster. Hey, maybe I'll be able to do that one day if my first post to Britmovie gets an answer! One can but hope ...

I did get a positive response yesterday from Lord Brett regarding an episode of 'U.F.O.'. I was so happy with the answer but now realise I should have asked it in THIS thread instead of casually mentioning it in the (totally) unconnected one with Michael Caine's 'Flawless'. So I want to ask this - can posts be moved to another thread?

Yes, by moderators and the administrator. But we don't do it much, only when it's seriously in an inappropriate area.

Your first post was asking a question about a television show and so is correctly in the area for British Television, not the area for Can You Name This Film

Steve

Liked
    177 times
    Okay, thanks Steve.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    What this sounds like to me is a play called "File On Harry Jordan" but while that does feature a dwarf butler, neither Ray Brooks nor Angelo Muscat was involved - in either version. The storyline you give, does have some similarities though.

See if this rings any bells: a young man on the make (Harry Jordan) applies to join a firm. His application form is completed in such a way that it matches a template which the personnel department have which indicates that he (Jordan) is the right man to take over the leadership of the company.

This doesn't happen overnight. Jordan soon learns that the top floor of the office block is off limits to most members of staff and he spends much time trying to get into it to find out what happens there. When he finally achieves his goal, he is greeted by Pedro (the mute, dwarf butler) who shows him in to the office of Mr Royston, the incumbent head honcho. Royston explains that he has been unable to leave until a successor is found, tells Jordan that he is the successor, and then departs by throwing himself down an empty lift shaft leaving Jordan, in the office with no other apparent exit, in the same predicament. His only option is to start running the company.

This was made twice, as I say, once as part of Seven Deadly Sins in 1966, with Barry Foster as Jordan, George Claydon as Pedro and Carleton Hobbs as Royston and then again as part of Do You Remember in 1978, with Shane Briant, David Rappaport and Peter Howell (whose character was named Jackson in this version).

The gesture to indicate eating was definitely made by the Rappaport butler.

Any good?

Liked
    177 times
    What a brilliant post! I think you've got it, Simon! Both Euryale and myself were sure it was the 'Tiny Hacketts' play with that Ray Brooks/dwarf/c.1980 connection. I don't think I saw either that or 'The File On Harry Jordan' (althogh the title is familiar), but your description matches the original poster's better. It's up to him to mark it as 'Answered'!

Less good news is your alerting me to that 'Seven Deadly Sins' version - almost certainly no longer in existance (Barry Foster was in 'The Family Way' that year too). My first contribution to IMDB was to add details to an episode of that series which starred Julia Foster, Robin Bailey and Richard O'Sullivan. Gutted, as people say these days, that this 'Seven Deadly Sins' has disappeared off the planet. I was a year old when it was shown, during the World Cup.

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you, cornershop15, for being so complimentary!

name='cornershop15']Less good news is your alerting me to that 'Seven Deadly Sins' version - almost certainly no longer in existance

You're quite right, that version of the play doesn't exist any more, although for a series made by Rediffusion it does have quite a high survival rate as a whole. Unsurprisingly for a programme called Seven Deadly Sins, there were seven plays in the series, and pretty much exactly half still exist (that's three whole ones, and half of another) - all in the National Film and TV Archive. Unfortunately "File On Harry Jordan" isn't one of them.

Do You Remember was a short series of remakes of TV plays shown on Sunday nights in the early part of the summer of 1978.

I forgot to say in the original post that the play was written for television by Anthony Skene, but based on another play by Jean Benedetti. I have no idea what the original play was called nor whether it was written for the theatre, television or radio.

name='cornershop15']My first contribution to IMDB was to add details to an episode of that series which starred Julia Foster, Robin Bailey and Richard O'Sullivan.

Ah, that'll be "A Temporary Typist", another which I believe is missing from the archives.

Liked
    177 times
    name='Simon Coward']You're quite right, that version of the play doesn't exist any more, although for a series made by Rediffusion it does have quite a high survival rate as a whole. Unsurprisingly for a programme called Seven Deadly Sins, there were seven plays in the series, and pretty much exactly half still exist (that's three whole ones, and half of another) - all in the National Film and TV Archive. Unfortunately "File On Harry Jordan" isn't one of them.

Can I ask how you know of, or found out about, their fate? This is incredibly distressing. I actually feel like watching both these plays right now, the way one can with a DVD, but instead I think I'll have a good cry. I have TVTimes issues from 1966, on disc, one of which includes an article and COLOUR photo of Julia Foster, Robin Bailey and Richard O'Sullivan from 'The Temporary Typist' and it looks fantastic. Pity there's no programme to go with it. What a horrible life. It isn't like this for fans of 'The Sopranos'.

On a less bitter note, thank you for replying in great detail. Goodnight. I'll watch 'Van Der Valk' to cheer me up (starring the aforementioned Barry Foster).

Liked
    0 times
    name='cornershop15']Can I ask how you know of, or found out about, their fate? This is incredibly distressing.

It's just one of the things I do. To be more accurate, "we do". I don't know if you've heard of an organisation called 'Kaleidoscope'. We're based in the West Midlands and have two strings to our bow. One relates to events: every three months we run an event where we usually have a guest or two and show quite a few hours of old television; the other is that we publish books, and one set of books we publish are research guides to various aspects of British TV, and part of this info relates to the holdings (or, too often, sadly, the lack of them) of the programmes themselves.

The information we've gathered over the years is also what feeds the Lost Shows website.

It's all just a hobby, mind you, we're not really any kind of commercial concern. Because of copyright, royalties and so on, the only way we can show the vintage TV programmes is not to charge those attending an entrance fee. The books, if we're lucky, make a small profit which is used to fund the events. Sorry, I'm getting a bit off-topic here, so I'll shut up - but it's kind of difficult to explain in a single sentence.

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks, Simon. I do know of Kaleidoscope and am aware they were instrumental in bringing my beloved Public Eye back to life. Rare interviews with creator Roger Marshall and star Alfred Burke are featured on the first DVD, courtesy of your great organisation. I ordered Series 6 and 7 from Network earlier this week and they should be on the way soon, so I have something to look forward to at least.

I may send a private message to discuss further the traumatic subject of lost shows and the hope I have that I'll see them one day. In the meantime thanks for the link and I hope Midwich will return to show you his gratitude as well.

Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks to Simon Coward... absolutely spot on!! Sorry I wasn't able to give you best answer ,.. maybe someone can do that for me. I think I must have seen ''Tiny hacketts '' and ''Harry Jordan'' and my memory has just smudged them together.

Thanks for everybody's efforts here,... really impressed!!

Liked
    177 times
    I'm pleased for you, Midwich. Sorry if my emotional posts at the end took the thread in a different direction. It's actually up to you - and only you! - to mark 'Best Answer', which you'll see highlighted in green (but we can't) and as Simon gave you the information you want that should be an easy option.

Liked
    80 times
    Yes, the correct answer was given to me and I am more than happy to relinquish it to Simon, a fellow West-Midlander!

Euryale.

Liked
    0 times
    Very noble of you Eury, however I don't have the privilege to be able to reset best answer as yet (not enough posts?) And Cornershop; absolutely no probs with the emotion,... (couldn't believe that I actually cried as I read all the tributes to the great Pat McGoohan on BM)

I'm just really pleased that my original post caused a flurry and that it triggered new directions of thought and discussion. And Simon, Kaleidoscope sounds like a great set up!

MC