Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times

Cliff Richard in Summer Holiday (1962)

Did folks catch the 40 minute feature on BBC1 last night on the background to the film?

There were some good interviews, with Cliff very articulate about the film, and it was good to see that nice lady Lauri Peters again, very modest about her role in the film, saying that she was blamed by some for being not up to the job ...but where was Una Stubbs?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I missed this. Didn't know anything about a documentary. Hopefully it will be repeated, but wouldn't it be put to better use as a DVD extra in a Special Edition? Unlike his friend Una not to feature.

Liked
    4 times
    I caught the last half of this. I know it's stating the obvious, but CR has aged so extraordinarily well. 69, and could pass for someone at least 20 years younger. It was amusing to see the embarrassing Bachelor Boy sequence...cobbled together without a proper choreographer after the rest of the film was finished, because they needed another few minutes of film!

Liked
    4 times
    And yes, I agree I've probably spelt that word wrong !

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    The programme is available on the BBC iplayer online, just watched it...cracking!

KBM

Liked
    177 times
    Thanks for that. I'll try and watch it in a minute.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Loved Jeremy Bullochs comment about him making a living wearing a bucket on his head.

Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Casper
    Loved Jeremy Bullochs comment about him making a living wearing a bucket on his head.
    Just finished watching this. Many thanks to 'kingbman' for telling me I could see it on the i player (another wonderful modern invention that arrived years too late). A nice, feel good programme from the BBC for once! I don't think I've actually seen the film, suprisingly, as I was very suprised that Ron Moody was part of it. Jeremy Bulloch, too. Now that his red hair's gone grey, he reminded me of an older Tom Courtenay - quite a resemblence I thought.

Let's hope this will feature as an extra in a 'Summer Holiday - Special Edition' DVD.

Liked
    103 times
    I only spotted one error in the programme....re: Marty Wilde.....He never really had a starring role in films until WHAT A CRAZY WORLD, which was made after SUMMER HOLIDAY.

His earlier film (JET STORM) was just a minor role, but the doc implied that Marty was starring in films before Cliff !

Also, I would have liked to see Stanley Black's name mentioned, as his musical arrangements contributed so much to SUMMER HOLIDAY.....

<<It was amusing to see the embarrassing Bachelor Boy sequence...cobbled together without a proper choreographer after the rest of the film was finished, because they needed another few minutes of film!>>

I think that this was added, not for reasons of length, but at the insistence of Norrie Paramor who correctly saw that he could squeeze another 'hit' into the film (he was right, of course...)

Liked
    103 times

Sir Cliff on the beach in Barbados in 2008

<< I know it's stating the obvious, but CR has aged so extraordinarily well. 69, and could pass for someone at least 20 years younger....>>

Yes indeed, Sir Cliff is living proof of the benefits of a totally celibate lifetyle.......

You can watch the SUMMER HOLIDAY documentary again by following the link from this page

(10.45PM slot) :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_one/2009-01-14

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    Aahhhh!! those were the days.

Me and Cliff in the 60's

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster

Cliff Richard in Summer Holiday (1962)

There were some good interviews, with Cliff very articulate about the film, and it was good to see that nice lady Lauri Peters again, very modest about her role in the film, saying that she was blamed by some for being not up to the job ...but where was Una Stubbs?

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like you I was puzzled by the absence of Una but it was good to see Teddy Green - an excellent dancer - but whose film acting career never took off after his two stints with Cliff. I think he did a lot of stage work - seemed like a nice guy, as did Jeremy.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times

I love this - it's such a catchy tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=uk&v=0uRlgNF7uAU
    You know they say about American dollies...oooooh!