Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I see the play that was turned into a 1964 Harry H Corbett vehicle is being revived on stage in the West End for later this year. It's a long time ago since it was screened on tv but I bet it's script - northern football fan down to see the cup final ending up with a lady of the night - needs to be updated for 2004 audiences!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes you don't see many rattles at football matches these days! My 10 year old son didn't know what onwe was when I asked him.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Rattle of a simple man , harry h corbett

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I've been reflecting on this film quite a bit recently, with other members, on the Forum. I hope I can see it again one day as it's a very dim memory. Here is a lovely publicity picture of the film's stars, Harry H. Corbett and Diane Cilento.

Liked
    151 times
    I thought it was a bit stagebound and the few scenes away from the flat are a welcome relief.

Liked
    177 times
    Another great publicity photo of Harry for Rattle For A Simple Man, from ABC Film Review

Liked
    0 times
    DB7,

It's not surprising that it's "stagebound". It was written for the stage!!

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    I can't say I liked this one at all Cilento's 'tart with a heart' oh dear, and good grief Cobbett was such a whining pathetic figure who droned on and on. Very claustrophobic and tiresome.

Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle
    I can't say I liked this one at all Cilento's 'tart with a heart' oh dear, and good grief Cobbett was such a whining pathetic figure who droned on and on. Very claustrophobic and tiresome.
    Sorry you didn't like the film. I can't remember much about it but at least the publicity pictures look great!

Harry played a middle-aged virgin in this and I was interested to discover, a long time ago, that Edward Woodward played the character in the original stage version. Years later, of course, he played another middle-aged virgin in The Wicker Man. And in Callan I've only seen him kissing a woman on one occasion (Zena Walker). Strange but true. Patrick McGoohan famously wouldn't allow his characters to become romantically involved with women and I wonder if Edward had the same reasons - or is it just a coincidence that he hasn't had (m/any) love scenes?

As far as I know the recent film The 40-Year-Old Virgin, shown on ITV a couple of weeks ago, is not a remake of Rattle Of A Simple Man.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I didn't like this one either, I found Corbett's character very wearing. Wasn't it written by Charles Dyer of Staircase fame (or notoriety)?

But I remain a great fan of Corbett's generally.

Liked
    177 times
    Come back, blacknorth ... Very sadly, Diane Cilento has died since my last post here, three and half years ago.

I'd love to know what they're saying. How much they enjoyed each other's Armchair Theatre performances?:

Sean Connery visiting his wife, Diane Cilento, and Harry H. Corbett, left, on the set of the film 'Rattle of a Simple Man' at Elstree.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Our best friends Network are releasing this on 31st March.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rattle-Simpl...60992&sr=1-196