Liked
    0 times
    I remember watching a disturbing but nonetheless interesting British short film in Australia in the mid 1990s which has always played on my mind. As far as I can remember the plot centred on a teenage boy and his family. The film is set in the 1970s and the family are off on a trip somewhere. Along the motorway an argument breaks out and the father loses it and kicks his son out of the car, leaving him by the roadside. I can't remember the exact details as to what happens next but something awful takes place with the family still in the car - I think they are murdered. Towards the end, the boy, who in the meantime had been walking along the road, eventually catches up and discovers the car and the horrible aftermath of what had taken place.

Sorry I can't be more precise but does this short happen to ring a bell with anyone?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It rings a bell. I may be wrong but I'm sure it was shown on the BBC about 5 years ago as part of a season of New Zealand shorts.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your helpful reply. I realise I've probably picked an obscure little feature to query but I did a bit of research and NZ short you are referring to was probably An Exercise in Discipline - Peel (1982) by Jane Campion. However, although it is an equally disturbing film and there are certain similarities in the plot after viewing Peel I am certain that it is not the short film I am searching for. The boy is too young in Peel for starters and I recall more family members in the car, including maybe a granny, and the father was older. The ending is also more gruesome than Peel as far as I can recall. Also, I am still fairly convinced that it was a British film and not a NZ/Aus production.

Still anybody have some info regarding this film? It could have taken its inspiration from Campion's work and it could be based on a true story..

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    You have done your research! You're right, it was part of a Jane Campion season. Do you think this UK film was made in the 70s?

Liked
    0 times
    The short you're talking about is called Smart Alec and can be found on this DVD as an extra:

Play.com (UK) : Gallivant (BFI) (2 Discs) : DVD - Free Delivery

Buy it, it's a fantastic DVD and the main feature is just mind blowingly beautiful.

Hope this helps.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes that's it, thank you that helps immensely! Your recommendation has made me interested in other works by Andrew Kotting.

It's just as dark and brutal as I remember but the fact it has stuck in my mind for over 15 years goes to show it's a very well made piece of short cinema.