Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Withnail and I

Liked
    0 times
    I used to drink in the pub depicted in the film - where Withnail crosses the angry Irish man. It's just off Liverpool Road in Islington, close to the Sainsbury's at Angel.

Needless to say, the pub is filled with smart young types and expensive beer.

Liked
    0 times
    It was set in the Lake District, Cumbria, England - though the tea shop scenes were actually filmed in Buckinghamshire.

Go to the following link to find out about filming locations, etc.

Filming Locations for Withnail & I

Liked
    151 times
    Remote farmhouse featured in cult film Withnail and I for sale

A piece of British cinematic history is up for grabs with the sale of a remote farmhouse made famous in the cult film Withnail and I.

Last Updated: 4:14PM GMT 19 Jan 2009

Sleddale Hall: Remote farmhouse featured in cult film Withnail and I for sale

Isolated Sleddale Hall, near Shap, Cumbria, is being sold by the water company United Utilities (UU) for a guide price of more than �145,000.

The farmhouse featured in key scenes in the 1987 comedy which starred actors Richard E Grant and Paul McGann as down-on-their-luck actors.

The pair escape their squalid Camden Town flat in London for a weekend in the country at Withnail's "Uncle Monty's cottage" with hilarious consequences.

A UU spokesman said that Sleddale Hall has been vacant for many years and is accessible only via a dirt track.

It is almost two miles from the nearest public road and a mile from the nearest inhabited house.

Withnail and I director Bruce Robinson used the farmhouse mainly for exterior shots.

A UU spokesman said that 18th century Sleddale Hall contains many original features and the roof has recently been repaired.

It is built from stone and Lake District slate and was originally acquired by the Manchester Corporation in the 1920s as part of the land required to meet Manchester's growing need for drinking water.

The Manchester Corporation eventually became part of North West Water and then United Utilities.

Edward Holt, United Utilities senior land agent on its Thirlmere Estate, said: "Sleddale Hall is in one of the quietest parts of the Lake District.

"I hope it is bought by someone who can restore it. It would make a lovely family home."

Savills director Paul Mooney said: "Withnail is an iconic film and there may be a few eccentrics out there who would be interested in owning a piece of film history.

"Sleddale Hall will certainly garner a bit more public interest than a house of this type normally would."

Sleddale Hall goes under the hammer at the Berkeley Hotel in Knightsbridge, London, on February 16.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh my god I want to buy it, I want to buy it. I just have to find someone foolish enough to lend me �145,000 +

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Lovely isn't it? Just not sure how practical it is...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MB
    Oh my god I want to buy it, I want to buy it. I just have to find someone foolish enough to lend me �145,000 +

Your bank will be more than willing to

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    It would make a lovely restaurant

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman
    It would make a lovely restaurant

You could call it "Monty's" High tea with fairy cakes etc.

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Local produce, views, accommodation in some of the outbuildings.

Monty's..............yes indeed

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman
    Local produce, views, accommodation in some of the outbuildings.

Monty's..............yes indeed
    I'd miss all the amenities and having to crank up a generator for a bit of leccy.

Liked
    0 times
    Get in Crabtree as chef

Liked
    0 times
    You could have Jake the poacher eel pie.

Withnail’s chicken (that should probably be a bit more bald than that..)

Quite seriously, I would - but would have to sell the current house, borrow a hell of a lot of money to do it up and go to live in the Lake district.

Sounds like a good idea, actually.

It does look lovely - If I don't manage it - I hope it goes to someone who appreciates 'Withnail and I' at least.

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    RT Guide 2009:

Those born before 1950 will regard this cult classic about two dissolute 1960s hippies (Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann) with unbridled horror.

There are empty bottles and dirty underwear everywhere, along with half finished joints and fag ends stubbed out in congealing boiled eggs.

But this is in fact a glorious rites-of-passage movie, as the lads decamp to a cottage in the Lake District where they struggle to survive the weather and a lecherous Uncle Monty.

Written and directed by Bruce Robinson, based on his own experiences in London's Camden Town. Contains swearing, drug abuse.

Liked
    0 times
    I've been to the cottage and it's miles from anywhere. It would be perfect for people who don't like other people! Or people who have hyperactive kids and want to prevent them getting into a life of crime!

:)

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    RT Guide 2009:

Those born before 1950 will regard this cult classic about two dissolute 1960s hippies (Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann) with unbridled horror.

Some of us born after 1950 also regard this film with unbridled horror .... horror at how over-rated it is, IMHO.

Liked
    0 times
    I think, with anything 'cult-like' either you 'get it' or you don't.

It's not quantifiable and it remains intangible , but the fact remains that it is well loved by many for a whole host of reasons.

I was actually popping in here to post this:

BBC NEWS | Magazine | Withnail tourism

I've also been to the area - though not the building itself. Yes, it is scarcely populated up there..and we went to a restraunt near there which had the real 'feel' of the place in the film. Slightly tipsy barowner, locals with their own glasses etc.

It was freezing and I think it was late August..but the nearby towns of the Lake District are just lovely and we even managed to get a bit of water skiing in before they took it off the lakes.

I think anyone in the UK should visit the Lakes. I thought we were spoiled for beautiful countryside in Wales, but myself and my fellow travellers drove around one particular mountain bend and literally gasped together. I haven't seen anything like it but some of the most beautiful parts of Scotland - go and drive round if you can - breathtaking.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by "From the BBC article above"
    The more dedicated want to make the trip to Crow Cragg, to Sleddale Hall, which first involves getting permission from the farmer whose land must be crossed...
    That's rubbish, there are two public footpaths running directly past it.

Liked
    0 times
    My mate has a house outside nearby Penrith, so when I've gone to stay for a 'weekend in the country' to see Sleddale Hall has been an absolute priority! The price is set for 145,000... it would take half a million to get it habitable again!!!

Glad they fixed the roof (minus one of the roof tiles!)

There is a tractor path via the farm, which we took on the way back and they didn't seem to worry about us on either occasion. Maybe it is a right of way, but I can't recall. Going - we went clockwise round the lake, across some rocks, a stream, and up a slippery fuck-off hillside (near the shooting fish scene) to get there! Not the best route, but fun.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodnok
    I used to drink in the pub depicted in the film - where Withnail crosses the angry Irish man. It's just off Liverpool Road in Islington, close to the Sainsbury's at Angel.

Needless to say, the pub is filled with smart young types and expensive beer.
    That sounds like the Agricultural in the Angel - if it is, I only had a few ales there... Not convinced if this was based on a pub in the Angel though...

Having read Richard E Grants Withnails and Bruce Robinsons book - I recollect he based that scene on the Camden pub, the Old Mother Black Cap, which is still there on the main road, (filmed in Westbourne Grove and renamed Barbushkas as the Mother Black Cap, which we all know.)

Seeing as Bruce Robinson and Vivian McKerrill (who he roughly based the Withnail character on) lived round the back - in Albert St, Camden - it seems more feasible to be based on a Camden pub. Having said all that - they had a pub at the end of the road they all drank in every day - The Spread Eagle, Parkway, Camden - which still stands today. Very nice pub too. Had more than a few ales in there...

Hope that helps?

Liked
    4 times
    The Black Cap in Camden is an infamous gay and drag venue, and has been for years, but I'm not sure what it was at the time Robinson and his cohorts lived there. Didn't know about the Westbourne Grove bit, but was led to believe that the pub in question, with its corner-of-road triangular setting, was nased on my old workplace The World's End.

To add further confusion there's also the Mother Red Cap in Archway. But yes, as they all lived in Camden, the first seems more likely.

As for the tea shop scene, I've actually been to that very village square (in Stoney Stratford, just north of Milton Keynes) which is now largely covered by a car park, but purely by accident. My cousin Shaun has been to Crow Crag though, and scared the shit out of another Withnail fan, who thought he was the owner, in the process!!

Of course, when we tried to explain this story to our family a couple of years ago, they hadn't got a clue what we were talking about, devoid as they are of any cultural understanding.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast