Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember a clip from an old 60s film where one of characters cooked breakfast in the fire of a steam train, I cant remember the film but seemed a great idea. Any other great moments for sharing.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    It sounds like something Hugh Griffith would have done in The Titfield Thunderbolt though I don't actually remember it happening

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Might have been a British Transport film.

"Breakfast a la steam" was featured in last week's episode of Victorian Farm

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember the clip. I think it was just bacon and eggs cooked on his shovel.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    This kind of event has shown in many steam train documentaries over the years

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    I also remember a film where they cook breakfast on a shovel in the boiler but i remember it being a steamroller not a train

The film was about a steamroller going to a compation of some sorts but i cant remember the name of this film either

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I remember the steamroller one. I have a feeling that it was a Fred Dibnah programme.

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times

Liked
    8 times

Senior Member Country: England DocRobertPepper's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    Cheers Mallee59 thats mine sorted now what about jules10cat

Liked
    8 times
    name='DocRobertPepper']Cheers Mallee59 thats mine sorted now what about jules10cat

Think as mentioned before...perm any one from 50 squillion steam train docs during their heyday and probably heritage lines as it was standard practice....and what a taste...

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    Probably (even, obviously) not what you're looking for, but a couple of caps from the famous/iconic/cult Australian short film A Steam Train Passes

Bacon and eggs a-la-pelle.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='mallee59']Think as mentioned before...perm any one from 50 squillion steam train docs during their heyday and probably heritage lines as it was standard practice....and what a taste...

name='Arthur Linden-Jones']Probably (even, obviously) not what you're looking for, but a couple of caps from the famous/iconic/cult Australian short film A Steam Train Passes

Bacon and eggs a-la-pelle.

OK, 50 squillion and one

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='jules10cat']I remember a clip from an old 60s film where one of characters cooked breakfast in the fire of a steam train, I cant remember the film but seemed a great idea. Any other great moments for sharing.

Until you have eaten a full English breakfast** cooked in a clean fireman's shovel held briefly in the open firebox of a steam locomotive, then you just ain't lived, amigo ! It is a feast for an Emperor !!!!

** Fresh eggs, English bacon, black pudding, and pork sausages. You can try for fried bread as well, but cooking that in a f/man's shovel is an art in its own right !

Whilst talking about a fireman's shovel, I distinctly remember reading a story of a book or a film where a villain came to no good when he tried to attack a train crew. He was killed with the shovel, and then chopped up with its razor sharp edge honed from picking up coal resting on a steel floor, and then his bits were disposed of by incineration in the engines firebox. I could never eat a pork sausage cooked on a fireman's shovel without always thinking of that !!!

Liked
    0 times
    name='jules10cat']I remember a clip from an old 60s film where one of characters cooked breakfast in the fire of a steam train, I cant remember the film but seemed a great idea. Any other great moments for sharing.

The only film that springs to mind is Oh! Mr. Porter starring Will Hay, but that was before the 60s. 'Chunky' Graham Moffat was doing the cooking.

Liked
    0 times
    He was, but not on the train itself.

Reminds me of the scene in The Love Match where Arthur Askey reckons his fireman wouldn't make a train driver because his eyes aren't far enough apart!

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='nowhearthis']The only film that springs to mind is Oh! Mr. Porter starring Will Hay, but that was before the 60s. 'Chunky' Graham Moffat was doing the cooking.

Great scene; even though the cooking took place in the station buildings and not the engine

Liked
    0 times
    name='Chevyman']Great scene; even though the cooking took place in the station buildings and not the engine

Oops! Yes, your quite right. I've definitely seen someone, somewhere cooking on a shovel on the burner. I'll get back to you on that one.

Liked
    0 times
    I think it was the Titfield Thunderbolt, whereby Huw Griffith cooked his breakfast on the shovel inside the firebox of the steam locomotive. Above someone mentioned a steam roller -that was the same film, an Ealing studios classic, whereby there was a play off between the steam locomotive and the steam roller - the latter was driven by Sid James. A brilliant film! Stan

Liked
    8 times
    name='Stanthesteam']I think it was the Titfield Thunderbolt, whereby Huw Griffith cooked his breakfast on the shovel inside the firebox of the steam locomotive. Above someone mentioned a steam roller -that was the same film, an Ealing studios classic, whereby there was a play off between the steam locomotive and the steam roller - the latter was driven by Sid James. A brilliant film! Stan

The 'play off' was between the train and the local bus company, Sid james was the Traction Engine driver who was coaxed into helping sabotage the Thunderbolt and thereby let the bus company provide the transport for local commuters....

Mallee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast