Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This is stretching a point because I think the film is French, but if anyone knows what it is called it will be a Britmovie forum poster so...

It was told, entirely in Japanese with English subtitles and without any narration, from the point of view of the surviors. At one point one of them describes going into to the city centre by train, attempting to bring help, not knowing that this was anything but a normal air raid and seeing the leaves brown and falling from the trees like autumn.

As I recall there wasn't any actual gore, but it was nonetheless very powerfully made, probably some time between about 1990 and 2007.

Anybody know what it was called?

Many thanks in advance

Liked
    0 times
    Hiroshima, Mon Amour is about fifty years older than that but is similar to the film you describe.

Does this help? [ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GYd6V8zVjT4"]YouTube clip[/ame]

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Sonds like Shohei Imamura's Black Rain, I have not seen it but my daughter studied this for her Film Studies degree, her description of the story sounds similar to the film you're looking for.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    From the IMDB, the plot of Black Rain...

Mr and Mrs Shizuma, and their niece Yasuko, make their way through the ruins of Hiroshima, just after the atomic bomb has dropped. Five years later, Yasuko is living with her aunt and uncle, and her senile grandmother, in a village containing many of the bomb survivors. Yasuko does not appear to be affected by the bomb, but the Shizuma's are worried about her marriage prospects, as she could succumb to radiation sickness at any time.

Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks guys, you have all been very helpful.