Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi

Visited local library last week and saw VHS copy of Captain Pugwash for rent. Got all worked up and took it home.

However, although it seems authentic I smell a rat as some of the characters had changed. There was Red Indian called Jonah who wasn't in the original series, Tom the cabin boy had an Irish accent and they even had a black Governor back in Portobello.

Am I mistaken or did the PC brigade influence this later version? It's a bit frustrating as the narrator is the late Nigel Davenport and I thought he did the original series.

Is this a figment of my imagination?

If not how might one obtain the original series?

Many thanks

Longshanks

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I bet they've even removed Roger the Cabin Boy and Seaman Staines

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Noel Coleman narrated the original version. Pugwash was voiced by Peter Hawkins.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Classic-Captain-Pugwash/dp/B000V0AIBA]Amazon UK[/ame]

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I can remember the original Captain Pug wash it was a TV program with a very young Rolfe Harris drawing it on large sheets of paper which were then animated by pulling bits of paper up and down and Rolfe told the story as he drew it, would have been about 1952 in black and white and it used to fascinate me

Liked
    418 times
    name='marker']I can remember the original Captain Pug wash it was a TV program with a very young Rolfe Harris drawing it on large sheets of paper which were then animated by pulling bits of paper up and down and Rolfe told the story as he drew it, would have been about 1952 in black and white and it used to fascinate me

It was first broadcast on the BBC in 1957. And the level of animation wasn't much more that that. Fixed drawings of each character moved around against a fixed background

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks but still not clear which versions are commercially available.

L

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Steve Crook']It was first broadcast on the BBC in 1957. And the level of animation wasn't much more that that. Fixed drawings of each character moved around against a fixed background

Steve

Even when the series was produced in colour that was the method of production, which is what we loved about it. When the show was remade recently as a fully animated cartoon it rather missed the point.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Longshanks']HiIt's a bit frustrating as the narrator is the late Nigel Davenport and I thought he did the original series.

According to IMDb Nigel Davenport is still with us.

Nigel Davenport

From Screenonline.

screenonline: Davenport, Nigel (1928-) Biography

Liked
    0 times
    There's some detailed info on this over at wiki:

Captain Pugwash

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks

Liked
    418 times
    name='EHV_Emmetts']According to IMDb Nigel Davenport is still with us.

Nigel Davenport
    The IMDb never reports that someone is still alive. If it doesn't report their death it might mean that they haven't died, but it might mean that they have died but nobody's told the IMDb yet.

However, in Nigel Davenport's case, I'm sure that if he had died it would have been reported and recorded on the IMDb

Steve

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    If dear Nigel Davenport has died somebody had better tell him first , many times I have read an obituary for an actor only to find a retraction and an appology the next day.

I loved watching Captain Pugwash as a Child.

Another one on my list .

Liked
    0 times
    I believe Ive read somewhere that Roger the cabin boy and seaman stanes never did exist in capt pugwash, and is a bit of an urban myth. Is that not right?

GRAEME
    name='elagred']I believe Ive read somewhere that Roger the cabin boy and seaman stanes never did exist in capt pugwash, and is a bit of an urban myth. Is that not right?

That is absolutely correct! No such characters - it all started as a joke.

So entrenched is the myth that a book called 50 Glorious Years of Children's Television (or something like that) was actually printed containing a full list of the suggestive names - and then had to have sticky backed paper put manually over the page concerned and a retraction printed. I still have the book somewhere...

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I believe he was so offended he sued. John Ryan was still living in Rye in the 1990s.

Andy McSmith

I think it originally appeared with other Ryan cartoons in the Eagle (Harris Tweed etc.)

Liked
    418 times
    name='kline']I believe he was so offended he sued. John Ryan was still living in Rye in the 1990s.

Andy McSmith

I think it originally appeared with other Ryan cartoons in the Eagle (Harris Tweed etc.)

That Andy McSmith must be going deaf. Pugwash says Master Mate

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='GRAEME']That is absolutely correct! No such characters - it all started as a joke.

So entrenched is the myth that a book called 50 Glorious Years of Children's Television (or something like that) was actually printed containing a full list of the suggestive names - and then had to have sticky backed paper put manually over the page concerned and a retraction printed. I still have the book somewhere...

I remember that book. The 'amusing' names were made up by Victor Lewis-Smith

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']It was first broadcast on the BBC in 1957. And the level of animation wasn't much more that that. Fixed drawings of each character moved around against a fixed background

Steve

Now there is a quality program. I long for it�s return?

Liked
    0 times
    I have vague memories of it being in the Eagle comic.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Lord Brett']Even when the series was produced in colour that was the method of production, which is what we loved about it. When the show was remade recently as a fully animated cartoon it rather missed the point.

I didn't know it had been remade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast